For those, like me, that can't do pushups...

Options
13»

Replies

• kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Great article. I wish I had thought of that a few years ago. When I started working out, I could do maybe 2 on my knees before crying. Now I can do about 4 military ones though I can't get all that deep, and I can do a full set of "girl" pushups with good form.

Maybe I'll try doing my pushups off a step, start with the 14 inch step and if that's too easy, work down to the 8, the 6 and then the floor. Thanks for posting this!
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I hate push up also. I'm going to give this a try.
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    The dreaded push up!!! I hate them too!! I like the push up bar idea, or just some dumbbells. I also find doing them off of a bosu ball or a stepper a little easier, I started out doing wall pushups, then moved to counter height pushups. Maybe not as effective? I dunno, but at least they are still push ups of a sort! And I have still noticed some definition doing them the "easier ways"!
  • mikesa3
    mikesa3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for information and to others who have posted tips. I've never been able to do more then one push up and that was 25 years ago. I've always just used the excuse of not having any upper body strength but I'm going to work on it.
    Nancy
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    What does *bump* mean?

whenever you comment on a post, it goes into under the section with your topics on your profile. when you don't have time to read something or want to remind yourself of it for later, just write bump. it will be saved, and then you can go back to it whenever you want.

Glad you explained that. I thought it was a reference to a "fist bump," in other words a sign of approval. Too bad there apparently is no other way to save posts to be read later because it's a waste of time for people making their way through the thread.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on the push up, it is a great exercise. Check out the link below that gives you a progression for push ups, start against a wall, then go to stairs, etc.

I can do them against a wall! Otherwise, I can't.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it.
  • lukadu
    lukadu Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for posting the article. I started Insanity and I had no idea how to do the dreade push up drills, I've been trying to figure ot how to improve my upper arm strenght and starting like this is just wnat I needed. Thanks!
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump, I need to work on push ups big time -_-
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    thank you thank you thank you. I am 60+ and just decided I need to incorporate strength training into my exercise routine. This helps tremendously!!!!
  • leez1984
    leez1984 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump for future reference - great tips, thanks :)
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Push-ups are GREAT for upper body development. When I first started I, as well as you, struggled a great deal with them. I think I could do maybe 5 before my arms would give out on me. I overcame this by doing them every day. Right when I wake up in the morning, turn off the alarm, and do as many as possible in one set. At the gym, /between/ your other sets, do more. Do them every day and you'll eventually get more and more and more! Right now I can push out nearly 60 before I collapse. Took me nearly a year to get to that point though. But hey, progress is progress!
  • ann0416
    ann0416 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I so badly needed this ! I hardly do 1 !! Struggle is understatement .. I shall try doing it now !! :) Thank you :)
  • zippymelanie68
    Options
    I started doing P90X a couple weeks ago, and workout #1 is all push ups and pull ups. It kills me. I was able to do about 6-8 push ups to start, so I wasn't as bad off as most girls, who can often not do any, or only one or two.

Here's my suggestion - get push up bars. They make a huge difference. It's so much easier on my wrists, it lifts the front half of you up a little, which makes it a little easier (when you get better at them, then you can just dip lower to compensate and get an even better workout), and they make me feel like I have better form.

One thing I love about P90X - it's not just "do as many push ups as you can, and then you're done". You do as many push ups as you can, then do a different exercise for 30-60 seconds, then do a slightly different variation on push ups, repeat.

On my very first day, when I "could only do 6-8 push ups" I did 78 push ups. I can't do 78 push ups. Not in a row, but I can if they're in sets. So I'd do 6-8 standard push ups, wait 60 seconds, do 6-8 military push ups, wait 60 seconds, do 6-8 wide push ups, repeat. It's amazing what a difference it makes to do multiple sets with pauses in between. You can do so much more and work your muscles so much more efficiently.

I think sets are the key to getting quick results. If you have to start on your knees to do "girly" push-ups, that's fine. No big deal. Do it. But if you get to the point where you're doing more than 6 girly push ups, try some from your toes. Work your way up.

great tips!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AvocadoPit
    AvocadoPit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! I also suck at push ups, but there are some great tips in there! Thank you for sharing!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump