Walking

Options
I know there are tons of great, exciting, fun workouts, but was wondering if anyone has lost a significant amount of weight from walking alone (and of course eating healthy, but from only doing walking as exercise).

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i did. 20 pounds. strict diet and walking as exercise. 20 - 30 minutes a day, maybe 4 or 5 days a week. have up'd my exercise now that i can, but lost 20 pounds before i started riding my bike or using the elliptical. i think most of the weight was as a result of a tremendous increase in water, i drank nothing else EVER for about a month, and followed a pretty strict diet. my feeling, and i have nothing to base this on, is that walking alone as exercise, will only take you so far. i think at some point, you will have to mix it up, as i did, once i was able to.

good luck.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 35 pounds and my sister lost around 100 pounds with walking being our only exercise. When we started we could barely finish a mile, by the end we were walking 4 to 5 miles a day. Unfortunately, she moved and we stopped and we both gained a lot of the weight back. =( This time is hopefully the last time! I absolutely recommend walking as exercise!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thats all I do
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to walk, I still exercise, but I see a huge difference on the weeks that I'm out walking.
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thats pretty awesome guys. I used to walk fairly regularly back in my semi-fit days, and I *know* that it helped it keep my self in check. But my husband has the argument that walking alone doesn't contribute to weight loss. I told him that if a person who is completely sedentary or rarely does anything beyond the normal day to day stuff, gets out and walks up a sweat several times a week, its *gonna* burn some calories and the person is going to lose weight. I've seen it for myself, and I have heard several awesome stories of people who walked off alot of weight. I told him anything a person does that works up a sweat is good exercise, but he does not believe walking is effective.

Now as I say this, of course I realize that walking can only do *so much* , and at some point in the weight loss a person needs to add in strength and toning, but I just wanted to prove my point that yes, a person *can* lose weight with walking.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I was right on the border of morbid obesity, and it hurt to do anything but walk or swim so that's what I did. Now, I walk about 3 miles per day, walk to and from the grocery store (about 3 miles round trip), and I really like it. I'm much more active.

Walking is a wonderful way to exercise when you can't do much else.

Honestly though, the calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight, not just walking. You have to eat well also or it just won't work by itself.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Me too! Just walking and eating better. :happy:

Down 61lbs in 5 months.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs. with just walking before I started adding in weight training and mixing in jogging too.
  • 3319jane
    3319jane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    And me :)

I am just back from a holiday where I ate & drank far more than I should have but still lost 3lbs by walking almost 25 miles in 5 days!

There is no way I could have done that three months ago and I feel so much better for it.
  • oharabears
    Options
    My husband and I took a 7-day Caribbean cruise a few years ago and both came back several pounds LIGHTER because, even though we had access to tons of food, we spent every day we were at sea just walking around the ship! : )
  • MrsCanuck
    MrsCanuck Posts: 16
    Options
    That's all my dad does. He lost his weight (big amount) almost thirty years ago and has kept it off by walking every morning for an hour. Sometimes he'll also walk an hour in the evening. He indulges in his "yummy" foods now and then, but he mainly sticks to eaating healthy.

Even after back surgery (year recovering) and a sprained ankle, he didn't put back on the weight. He just kept an eye on his eating while being sedentary. Once he healed, he was back out walking again. He's 72 now, and still walking like a teenager.
  • WilliamsJJ86
    Options
    I walk all the time cause I'm 300 so running to me is a joke. in 3wks I lost about 3lbs, that's with only walking 3 days a week for 20-30mins.
  • WilliamsJJ86
    Options
    That's all my dad does. He lost his weight (big amount) almost thirty years ago and has kept it off by walking every morning for an hour. Sometimes he'll also walk an hour in the evening. He indulges in his "yummy" foods now and then, but he mainly sticks to eaating healthy.

Even after back surgery (year recovering) and a sprained ankle, he didn't put back on the weight. He just kept an eye on his eating while being sedentary. Once he healed, he was back out walking again. He's 72 now, and still walking like a teenager.

there was no like button but your dad's awesome!!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill desk and walk very slowly while working. Usually walk 3-4 hours a day at 1mph so I can type. Have lost 9 pounds since I started doing this. It has been about 12 weeks and it is mainly due to walking plus cutting back on quantity and eliminating most bread. My pants are falling off me because I am trimming from the walking. Have just started to increase the speed a fraction and do some intervals of increased speed if my hip will take it. Walking is great
  • pabocat
    pabocat Posts: 10
    Options
    I walk 30 min 2 x a day with my dog everyday.I have change my diet.I have lost 10 lbs in the last 60 days.Slow but sure,and It is so easy.:glasses:
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I'm down 40lbs. from just walking.....Not so much of the healthy eating.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I started off with walking alone when I started my weight loss journey. I lost a good 30 pounds this way before I stepped up my game and added harder cardio and strength training. My cardiologist told me the other day that walking is great but at this stage of my game it isn't exercise, just daily life. But yes, walking is great for you.
  • bditty187
    bditty187 Posts: 14
    Options
    I started mfp with just walking and eating healthy and I lost weight, 10-15lbs. Once I started lifting weights and kept the same healthy diet I saw more results. Mixing in an elpitical trainer every other trip to the gym helped too. I am down 46lbs since 02/01/12.
  • CawfeeLuv
    CawfeeLuv Posts: 18
    Options
    I walk the treadmill anywhere from 3.2mph-3.5 or so 4-5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour and as long as I am eating ok, I do lose.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have lost all of my 75+ lbs by eating better and only walking as exercise. In 2006, I was 235+. I am now 159, and have been on maintenance for about a month. I hope this helps and provides the inspiration you need.

The walking I do is NOT treadmill walking ... it's walking the dog ... We have two large Airedales that need regular exercise, otherwise they turn into 150+ lbs of "jack russel on caffeine" dogs!