Anyone Here Mentally Ill?

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have depression, which I am currently be treated for (successfully at the moment, and I have not been depressed for several months--yay!) I am on medication for it. I also have some anxiety issues (generalized anxiety, most likely). I have had disordered eating my whole life (you name it, I've had it--all 3 of the main ones). I am also autistic, but I don't see that as a "mental illness".
  • jadejo63
    jadejo63 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have OCD and have done since I was 11, I am now 20, it's so hard to cope with, I have the type where it's all about rituals and doing stuff a certain amount of times :( I have had cbt therapy but stopped going as it didn't help, I am on anti depressants to help it but I don't think it's doing much :(
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Clinical depression.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I suffer with severe depression, bdd(body dysmorphic disorder) and anorexia. Though, exercising daily helps with my depression so it's always going to be a crucial part of my life, aside from other obvious reasons. I've found also when I'm in an okay state of mind, I want to recover and put recovery first moreso, I try alot harder. My bdd hasn't gotten any better though but hopefully it will one day.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    I like our new world order - Everyone has a label......sorry to sound synical.......
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No, but I do here things like Yoga Nidra (guided mediation) help. They are using it on the troops with PTSD. I have done a session myself and it helped with stress. You may want to look into it. There are also free Yoga Nidra pod casts in iTunes.
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    I used to have a long list of issues stemming from my childhood. i was put on all sorts of medication and i did years of extensive therapy. including CBT/DBT. I really hated the fact that i had meds, i felt weak, and i didn't feel like me. I decided to replace all of the meds and crap in exchange for a cleaner diet and constant exercise. I must say, best choice i have ever made, not to mention, you can't get in any branch of military on the meds i was taking. But that didn't have much of an influence, i genuinely despised the fact i was taking medication.
  • morgandy
    morgandy Posts: 21
    Options
    I love that this topic was brought up! Mental health badly needs to be de-stigmatized. I've only struggled with depression and eating disorders, but my mom had paranoid schizophrenia. So while growing up, my family doctor always made a point of reminding me that it's quite possible for me or my brother to develop something, too. So far, I've been quite lucky. But as I get older, I try to remind myself that a healthy lifestyle means a lot more than just weight. Increasing natural endorphins through exercise, minimizing stress, avoiding mood-altering drugs, and eating the right foods - especially those with lots of omegas! - not only make us fit, but make us more functional on a day to day basis.

So Cheers to everyone who'se doing their best to live healthy with a mental illness!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I like our new world order - Everyone has a label......sorry to sound synical.......

Until you, yourself, have experienced mental illness, I doubt you will ever understand.
  • Cyndi62
    Cyndi62 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think it's really great that you brought this up too. I think if people talked about it more, there would be less of a stigma associated with it. And getting something out in the open is probably the first step in making it better.

I too have been dealing with depression for many years.
    As to the people who say the drugs are a crutch, well even if that were so, without them, we couldn't walk well enough to get where we need to go.

Some days it's all I can do to force myself out of bed in the morning.
    Yes, it's hard to add exercise and taking care of yourself into the mix. When you are IN the depression, taking care of yourself is the least of your thoughts.

Happy to say, new meds, little adjunct kick to the effexor, and I'm feeling pretty darn good.:glasses:
    Hope the same for the rest of you.
    C
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump - this a very good topic.

my mother was diagnosed with bipolar and depression
    i was a troubled teen so i was an inpatient - but i don't remember the diagnosis.
    i don't take meds - i don't have insurance - so no $$$ for psychiatric help
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread has been really helpful to me....I went to the doctor's today wondering if I had a problem....been feeling very flat for at least a month and there have been days where I've struggled to get out of bed and not wanted to go to work (has happened a couple of days in the last month where I've taken sick leave). I've suggested it to my mum a while back that I thought I might have mild depression, but she scoffed and said, "You'll be fine."

Doctor pretty much said (after taking a history of my feelings and other background history) that "Yes, you likely have a form of mild depression. But, it's ok, because it's very common...about 30% of the population deal with depression." I felt so embarrassed that I just go so emotional in his clinic while I was giving him my history. For now, I'm going to try to deal with it by getting back to the gym, eating right, keeping up my interest in hobbies...but it's really nice to be able to feel comfortable enough to post on this thread and not feel judged (except for a couple of the 'joking' comments that I don't think should be made in a thread like this).