nutritional balance and getting enough calories

Options
Newbie here, into my second week. One of the ways I'm making better choices with my eating is cutting back on starches, as I heavily increase fruits and veggies. I think this is good for me overall, but I'm wondering how it fits in with the nutritional goals set by MFP. I find that I don't always make my 1200 calorie/day goal, although most days I come close, and occasionally I meet it. I'm usually around the 950-1050 mark. I know it's important to not go into starvation mode, but when I increase what I think I should increase, like a serving of walnut for omega-3s, for example, it gets my calories up, but pushes my proteins way over. It's not like I'm eating a heavy protein diet. 1 cup of oatmeal in the morning, and usually throughout the rest of the day, 3-4 oz of chicken, 1-2 servings of milk, 4 tsp. peanut butter or an oz. of walnuts, and then the amounts that come in spinach and the occasional yogurt. Seeing those red numbers in my diary summary at the bottom just kinda freaks me out, I guess. Should I ignore them? Should I/Can I adjust them? MUST I increase my starchy foods?

Replies

• freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with going over a bit on protein. And yes, you can adjust the numbers at the bottom. Home/Goals/Change Goals/Custom.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to make protein about 30% of my intake so I'm happy when that goes into the "red". I'm pretty consistantly over on protein and fiber and under on carbs. But I am by no means an expert.
  • spedabstbit
    spedabstbit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Anybody else want to input on this?