Gluten Sensitive ...

Recipes and dieting tips totally appreciated from anyone out there suffering from gluten sensitivity!!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    As much as possible, stick to whole/made from scratch foods that are naturally gluten free.

Feel free to browse my diary and ask questions. I am gluten free, as well as having a number of other restrictions.
  • bttfly87
    bttfly87 Posts: 8
    Thank you for replying. Cals definately add up quickly eating all those pre-made gluten-free foods (not to mention they offer next to no benificial nutrition). Will use your tip to try and make more things from scratch where I can control the ingredients.
  • AriesOx
    AriesOx Posts: 66
    I agree with the first poster. I'm wheat sensitive, so I buy a lot of gluten free products, but I find them to be quite high in calories. You'll find that rice flour calories are higher than wheat flour - hubby made homemade rice flour pancakes, and when figuring out the calories, we were both surprised by how many calories a cup of rice flour has :)

Both gluten and wheat hide in many different forms/names, so become familiar with all of the names for the various ingredients, and get used to reading labels. I was caught off guard early on by kamut, not realizing it was another (ancient) form of wheat. Same goes for spelt and many others.

As much as I don't really like her, I found Elizabeth Hassleback's book "G-free" to be a pretty good, informative, yet easy read. She is extremely sensitive to gluten, and I'm glad I'm not that bad, so she takes some things to what I consider an extreme, but for her it is vital to her well being. She also points out many places gluten and wheat hide that I had no idea about, so it was helpful :)

Hope this helps, and good luck with finding your way :) I've been at this for 2 years now, and it can be hard work at first, but once you get the hang of things, it goes well :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    I also have a gluten intolerance (among many other foods) and only eat pre-made gluten free breads once in a while. I have never found a GF bread I've thought tastes good enough to bother with the calories. I do enjoy Udi's bagels once in a while. Cookies and snacks I avoid anyways. I have just learnt to make all my food at home. There are a few GF SF DF protein bars I buy but my days are mostly veg, fruit, chicken, and protein shakes.