family think im to thin!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It may also be the shock of how much weight you've lost. I too have been told by parents/grandparents that I was too skinny (hardly) but
    a) they're not yet used to the new way I look
    b) they're not in a position to tell me if I am too skinny given their own weight issues over the years.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    5'7, 123 lbs, and no, I do not have this problem now, but I use to.

When I was young and had a high metabolism I was 5'7, 90lbs. I never had the problem with family so much but with strangers and friends. It drove me insane. Where I am now looking back I kinda understand. There's so many people who don't eat enough, and there's so many people that are concerned for good reason. But really, I ate enough, it was down right insulting (I had you look sick, anorexic comments), and at the time I wanted to weigh more. Very hurtful.

Meanwhile everyone was very supportive when I gained weight and my heart hurt and I wasn't moving at all because I was a 'healthy' weight. Irony.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I hope your family members who are being vocal about you being too thin voiced as much or more concern for your health when you were obese (assuming you were obese). I can count on one hand the number of people who voiced concern to me, so they better keep their mouth shut if I ever start looking "thin."

My wife is 5'4" and when she first got healthy, she dropped down to 110-115, and she did not *look* healthy at all and I was kinda scared of breaking her. I wasn't worried about her actual health because I saw her eating a ton and working out all the time. Now she's back up to a healthy size, with some muscle and looks better, physically. So, you may look too thin, but if you work out and eat enough, you may put on some muscle and go back up. The point is not really to be a specific number on any scale or chart, but to be strong, fit, healthy, and ultimately, happy.
  • hello0okitty
    hello0okitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Somebody recently told me about a girl that asked them when i had lost so weight. She proceeded to tell my friend that I looked "gross" and anorexic and compared me to another girl in my class that has serious medical issues that make her very underweight. To clarify, I am 5'4'' and 130 on the best of days. But i guess thats just what happens when people are used to seeing you pushing 155. I'm still trying to get to 120, because personally that is how i feel i would look best. and anybody who says otherwise is clearly stupid.
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    I am supposedly the "perfect" weight now for my height...being 5'7" and 144 lbs, I fall right in the middle of my BMI...but the BMI does not factor in your structure, and I have tiny wrists, shoulders, collar bones, narrow hips, etc. ...I was always 125-130 before I put on 20 lbs on a medication 2 years ago. Now I am trying to get back to my "happy" size. People constantly tell me I should not lose any weight or I will be "too skinny" and that I look fine at my height/weight now. I realize I do look "fine", I am not "large" but I am also heavy for me...plus, looking average is not my goal. I prefer to be in great shape and lean and strong. Most people know their own body..if you are at your happy weight/size don't worry what others say. People also say "oh, you look great...you don't need to work out." How ignorant! EVERYONE needs to work out in some form or fashion for health purposes....that is the stupidest comment ever!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If your wanting to lose more, they have every right to be worried imho x
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable and healthy with where you are now then that is good....family and friends worry and are the greatest critics sometimes and if you hadn't seen them for a long while (being overseas) then they must have got quite a shock. :flowerforyou:
    It is all about balance of course and having lost weight you then begin to want to tone up and increase your fitness levels.
    :happy: I have people that keep saying I'm getting too skinny.....LOL....there's no way that can happen as I tell them cause I eat much more now just better choices!
    :grumble: People often speak before they think....someone said to me the other day how great I looked!!!!! except for my face!!!!! I look older she said.....oh my.....she had tried to turn it around by the end of the conversation but it just didn't want to go away LOL :wink:
    Just enjoy feeling good....be proud of yourself....believe in yourself....you are strong and beautiful!
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Its amazing this isnt it?? You drop a heap of weight and the best that your nearest and dearest can come up with is "Oh, you look too thin.....". Then I have to spend minutes explaining myself. Bah! The worst was being told by a friend that I looked liked Steve Jobs. He sadly passed away that week. Thanks alot.

I dont know whether this behaviour from our family is envy, shock, protecting us or a bit of all this. I learnt early on to tune out to be frank.
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    thanks everyone im not looking to loose anymore just tone up and maintain now i am more confident than i have ever been and i am the slimmest i have been for a very long time xx
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    loving all the smily faces karen lol xx
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 73 and only at 170 and I want to lose another 40 lbs which would only be 130 lbs and Im 5'4, but when I tell people I want to lose 40 more lbs they look at me like I have some kind of eating disorder or something , when that would be in my zone for a healthy weight, granted they dont know how much I weigh now but still you can tell Im still heavy a little too Im not even in single digit sizes yet, so Im worried that closer I get there people will start saying stuff
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    i think its down to how u feel in urself i know my limits and i know how far i can go and what to do to get where i want to be xx
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people say dumb things. I have been there. Weird, nobody had much to say when it came to my weightGAIN, now some people have a lot of opinions since my weightLOSS.
    Annoying ...
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    exactly i think sometimes ppl feel they have to comment to make themselves feel better and make it a egative comment to make us feel bad xx
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Ugh, my family says the same thing. They say it in a backhanded compliment and it's bothersome. But do what makes you happy.
  • Janineshaw
    Options
    yeh thats what im doin tho i am eating a bit more now but still loosing but i wasnt eating enough before x
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    see i weigh 109-110lb but im happy with my weight x

Based upon BMI, that is a "healthy" weight for someone between 4'8" and 5'4", so you are at the bottom end of the "healthy" range. If you have the strength and stamina to do the activities you want to do, and this weight is maintainable long term (yo yo dieting is worse than carrying a little more weight), there should be no complaint.

Personally, I'm too fond of food to be at the low end of the range.