I need some suggestions...

Options
I need some low fat food suggestions that I can bring to work that still tastes good. I do have access to a microwave and a refrigerator/freezer. Any suggestions welcome, even the crazy ones. :noway:

Replies

• Deb1971
    Deb1971 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I grill chicken and veggies on Sunday and package them for the week. Very easy just take one out of the freezer each am. I do have to bring Hummus as I am a dunker.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been making Ratatouille lately. I put it into serving sizes and keep it in the fridge. For lunch I pull one out, top with a little shredded cheese and heat it up! YUM
    I think you could add some beans for some extra protein,,,,,

Ratatouille

1 onion
    3 cloves garlic
    1-2 peppers (any color)
    2-3 Zucchini
    1 medium eggplant
    handful of mushrooms (optional)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes
    salt and pepper
    Basil, thyme and oregano
    red pepper flakes (optional)

Saute the veggies for approx 5 mins (I just used Pam) Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for approx 45 mins.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    My chili recipe which is posted in the recipe thread. I also have Kelloggs All-Bran bars and 3or snacks that are high in fibre as snack food when needed. Also 100 calorie microwavable popcorn bags. Fruit is always an option too. If I come up with anything else I'll let you know.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I like salsa chicken. It's pretty simple, which is key for me! Thaw your chicken breast (however many servings you want). Cube the chicken (I use my kitchen scissors) into a large pot. Cover the chicken with plenty of salsa. Drain a can of corn, or cut the kernels off 4 ears of corn, and put in with the salsa and chicken. Cook over a medium heat until chicken is fully cooked. Serve as a salad dressing, with chips, on tortillas or by its self. I put left overs into single serving containers and take those for lunch.

I do like to add sour cream in with it and some shredded cheese.
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    I love eating wraps for lunch, some grilled chicken on a whole grain wrap, with baby spinach and some of that spray honey mustard dressing, and low fat chedder cheese! U can eat them cold or warm them up for about 25 seconds.
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    another variation of a wrap i do is grilled chicken, low fat feta, balsamic vinegar and baby spinach. its delish@!
  • slumberbug
    slumberbug Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also take wraps. I never know when I'll get to eat my lunch and they can be eaten cold or hot and on the go. I like mine with turkey breast and baby spinach.
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I grill chicken and veggies on Sunday and package them for the week. Very easy just take one out of the freezer each am. I do have to bring Hummus as I am a dunker.

That 's a good idea, thanks!!
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    I've been making Ratatouille lately. I put it into serving sizes and keep it in the fridge. For lunch I pull one out, top with a little shredded cheese and heat it up! YUM
    I think you could add some beans for some extra protein,,,,,

Ratatouille

1 onion
    3 cloves garlic
    1-2 peppers (any color)
    2-3 Zucchini
    1 medium eggplant
    handful of mushrooms (optional)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes
    salt and pepper
    Basil, thyme and oregano
    red pepper flakes (optional)

Saute the veggies for approx 5 mins (I just used Pam) Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for approx 45 mins.

This sounds really good!! I may have to make it for supper this week.:drinker:
  • conmonja
    conmonja Posts: 28
    Options
    I make the same thing but I add "knorr's chicken and tomato powder" this gives it more taste. You can eat it hot or cold. Sometimes i add meat .It fills you up for very little cals.
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    My chili recipe which is posted in the recipe thread. I also have Kelloggs All-Bran bars and 3or snacks that are high in fibre as snack food when needed. Also 100 calorie microwavable popcorn bags. Fruit is always an option too. If I come up with anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks, and I already do fruit and am pretty much tired of it, but if you think of more, please do let me know.:flowerforyou:
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    I like salsa chicken. It's pretty simple, which is key for me! Thaw your chicken breast (however many servings you want). Cube the chicken (I use my kitchen scissors) into a large pot. Cover the chicken with plenty of salsa. Drain a can of corn, or cut the kernels off 4 ears of corn, and put in with the salsa and chicken. Cook over a medium heat until chicken is fully cooked. Serve as a salad dressing, with chips, on tortillas or by its self. I put left overs into single serving containers and take those for lunch.

I do like to add sour cream in with it and some shredded cheese.

I :heart: me some Mexican food, and this is kinda Mexican-y (real word??:huh: ), this would be great with a small salad, thanks again!!
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    I love eating wraps for lunch, some grilled chicken on a whole grain wrap, with baby spinach and some of that spray honey mustard dressing, and low fat chedder cheese! U can eat them cold or warm them up for about 25 seconds.

Wow, wraps would be good. We have a panini press here also, and I can toast it in that. Cool, thanks:flowerforyou:
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    another variation of a wrap i do is grilled chicken, low fat feta, balsamic vinegar and baby spinach. its delish@!

That sounds kinda Mediteranean, and very yummy :bigsmile:
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    I also take wraps. I never know when I'll get to eat my lunch and they can be eaten cold or hot and on the go. I like mine with turkey breast and baby spinach.

Kewl :wink: thanks, and congrats on the smoke free thing!! :flowerforyou:
  • lindsay1982
    Options
    I make the same thing but I add "knorr's chicken and tomato powder" this gives it more taste. You can eat it hot or cold. Sometimes i add meat .It fills you up for very little cals.

Knorr's??:huh: Is that the brand??:huh: Where canI find it??:huh: Sounds yummy!!:glasses:
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I added the calorie info on the salsa chicken as "Mary's Salsa Chicken" into the food data base. The count is based on 4 chicken breasts, 4 cups of salsa, and 1 can of sweet corn. If you do make it, that'll be easier to enter than each of the ingredients!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    bumping so I can read later