over on protiens

Options
My daily goal is 1500 calories. I keep going over on protein. What will happen?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You can go to goals and raise your protein, It will lowe your carbs automatically. Check online for info on too much protein.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Protein is generally considered a good thing around these parts. As long as you are within your calories, you are good.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal set to currently? I would shoot for 1 gram per pound of body weight, then split the remaining calories, more or less with carbs and fats.
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I get about 100 g of protein. It's always way over what it's set to be. I have heard the g per lb of weight too just haven't done it yet. I think going over on protein is a good thing though from what I have read.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Nothing will "happen", unless you are not eating any carbs. I changed my protein % to a higher amount. I would rather be too high in protein than in carbs, since carbs includes sugar and some other less healthy stuff (than protein).
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Extra protein is a good thing. Apart from anything else it keeps you feeling full and satisfied. I started low carb 100 - 150g per day and 100-150g or protein, 2 weeks ago and its broken my 6 month plateau and I feel fuller and more content. X
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    What is your protein goal set to currently? I would shoot for 1 gram per pound of body weight, then split the remaining calories, more or less with carbs and fats.

Hmm.. is that for someone at their maintenance weight? I would have a hard time eating 220g of protein per day. Maybe you are a body builder? Just askin'...
  • farleys_fat_flamingo
    Options
    As far as I know, excess protein, unlike carbs and fat isn't stored in the body. So the only disadvantage to eating too much protein would be the strain it puts on your kidneys to filter it out. But you would have to be consuming an excessive amount I would think. My dietician said that alot of body builders get liver failure because of this. I think the majority of the western world probably consumes more protein than it calculates for you on here, but beats eating too much sugar if u ask me :)
  • kmorris123
    kmorris123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

So if I weigh 233 currently, I should be consuming 233g of protein? Sounds like a lot to me.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

So if I weigh 233 currently, I should be consuming 233g of protein? Sounds like a lot to me.

That is a lot, unless you're on some kind of powerlifting program.

1g / kg of body weight is closer to reality.
    So, around 100g of protein. Give or take.
  • akkbatra
    akkbatra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    At many places I read its 1 gm per kg body weight, at others; 1 gm per lb of lean body mass and here 1 gm per pound of overall body weight. U better check with official recommend amount of protein in your country.
  • Toddrific
    Options
    Set your macros at 30% protein/ 30% fat / 40% carbs, and you'll be good
  • brandyjohnston2009
    Options
    It says that 1500 calories is 56 grams of protein. That is the default on here. I am usually over by a few up to about 40 grams a day depending on I eat. I just want to make sure that I am not going to start storing or other things. I have been told that more is bad and your body stores it from a dietitian. I try to make sure that I have lean protein like chicken or turkey. Beef is a treat and when I have that I try to make sure that it is lean.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Your body will store any calories eaten in excess.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    It says that 1500 calories is 56 grams of protein. That is the default on here. I am usually over by a few up to about 40 grams a day depending on I eat. I just want to make sure that I am not going to start storing or other things. I have been told that more is bad and your body stores it from a dietitian. I try to make sure that I have lean protein like chicken or turkey. Beef is a treat and when I have that I try to make sure that it is lean.

that is not very much protein. I wouldn't worry about it. the default setting on MFP is pretty low. In fact you 'd probably do better in your weight loss to customize your goals and up the protein.

I shoot for 130g per day if eating 1850 cals. I don't always make it.
  • brandyjohnston2009
    Options
    So i have another question for those who are saying 1 gm per pound for protein. is that current wieght or goal weight?
  • Toddrific
    Options
    Lean body mass is usually used.
  • brandyjohnston2009
    Options
    what is that? how do i figure that?
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    mfp sets proteins really low. you should be getting 1g of protein for each lb of lean body mass. i usually get about 100g-150g per day, but really depends on what i've ate etc.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    what is that? how do i figure that?
    You need to figure out what your fat% is - go to fat2fitradio.com - good calculators on there...
    As for too much protein, don't worry about that - the more protein you eat, the better - it keeps you full and helps prevent loss of muscle mass....Just drink enough water...
    I eat at least 120 - 150g per day - on 1630cals