Body fat % needed for abs in women?

Options

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    My stomach is my problem area too. I feel like it is hard to make progress for me since I don't want to lose any more weight.
    However I seem to be seeing some results finally from Insanity.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    There is prob no clear cut answer, it will depend on musculature of your abs and your genetics

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Absolutely.
  • shaycat
    Options
    I think your next step, if you want to improve, would be to build muscle since you pretty much can't get any skinnier and remain healthy.

This is what I started doing. So I agree!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I think your next step, if you want to improve, would be to build muscle since you pretty much can't get any skinnier and remain healthy.

I agree with this too!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd definitely work my abs a bit harder so they had more of a chance to show through.

OR, you could totally just do a really hardcore ab workout just before meeting that person who pissed you off and they can be all swollen and pumped in front of him lol!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I've been doing. Hoping I guess that they will eventually be visible!

I agree with this too!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I'm working on the same. I can only see the outline of the top ones though and im starting to get too thin :C
    Bulking after summer! :D
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    AWESOME WORK EVERYONE!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Yeah, I'd definitely work my abs a bit harder so they had more of a chance to show through.

OR, you could totally just do a really hardcore ab workout just before meeting that person who pissed you off and they can be all swollen and pumped in front of him lol!

Haha, I love how you knew it was a him! Although, I must say I agree with him. That's why I'm on this mission!

:D
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    There is prob no clear cut answer, it will depend on musculature of your abs and your genetics

Checking the link now. I might add I had an 8 pack from ages 8-14, and had about 10% body fat (I was a competitive gymnast). Because of that I started period later (not enough body fat) and it was a really ****ty experience I'd rather not deal with again.

I wonder if that's necissary for me to look like I want again. =\

I think you look nice. I dont think you need to lose to much more body fat.

Thank you. It's just really frusterating to be told "well you don't look fat... But you definetly don't look fit" since then I've been on a vendetta to show that person where they can shove it. From 20% to 17% I haven't seen any changes in my stomache. :(

It feels like making little to no progress.

Your goals are your goals, but FWIW, from the photo you look fit to me. As a woman I personally have never hungered to have a six-pack -- I don't like the Janet Jackson look -- but I guess it's a huge sign of accomplishment for serious exercisers.
  • shaycat
    Options
    Looking at that link. I think I look somewhat close to the 18% girl. These stupid websites dont know what they are talking about giving me 20 or higher. I am going to stop worrying about what I weigh and what my body fat is and just like how I look. ( wouldn't that be nice if I could really do that? )
  • K_Stewart
    K_Stewart Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work out with a trainer/body builder. I asked him this question a few weeks ago. He said for a girl it's around 15%
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Looking at that link. I think I look somewhat close to the 18% girl. These stupid websites dont know what they are talking about giving me 20 or higher. I am going to stop worrying about what I weigh and what my body fat is and just like how I look. ( wouldn't that be nice if I could really do that? )

I purchased a handheld body fat monitor and that's what I'm doing.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Mostly I want to look like Zuzanna without the fake boobs.

Checking the link now. I might add I had an 8 pack from ages 8-14, and had about 10% body fat (I was a competitive gymnast). Because of that I started period later (not enough body fat) and it was a really ****ty experience I'd rather not deal with again.

Thank you. It's just really frusterating to be told "well you don't look fat... But you definetly don't look fit" since then I've been on a vendetta to show that person where they can shove it. From 20% to 17% I haven't seen any changes in my stomache. :(

Your goals are your goals, but FWIW, from the photo you look fit to me. As a woman I personally have never hungered to have a six-pack -- I don't like the Janet Jackson look -- but I guess it's a huge sign of accomplishment for serious exercisers.
  • shaycat
    Options
    I will add that to the list of things I should have but don't feel like spending money on.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I work out with a trainer/body builder. I asked him this question a few weeks ago. He said for a girl it's around 15%

That's interesting!!
  • Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    As said, its not clear cut ! It depends on your age too, as you get older your body fat is naturally higher. Whats very good %age for a guy in his forties would be 'normal' for a teenager of similar size! and womens is naturally higher than mens (sorry ladies) so you have to factor in all these things.

Bodybuilders on competition day are usually single figure (below 10%) but cant/dont/shouldnt maintain that throughout the year! Its not too healthy for BF to be in single figures permanently.

Abs showing through should involve good solid core and a BF in the mid teens for 'most' males, slightly higher BF for ladies will still show good Abs

And i might add you should work your lower (especially) and middle back too to see the full benefits of your '6 pack' as it gets called. Work the whole core, not just the rectus abdominus
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I will add that to the list of things I should have but don't feel like spending money on.

I think I spent like $38.00 on it. Or they have them at the gym usually if you have a membership. :P
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shaycat
    Options
    Mostly I want to look like Zuzanna without the fake boobs.

I would like to look like her too, but I would need the fake boobs to feel like a woman. Didnt you see the thread earlier that men dont like skinny women. :huh: That is code for they dont like flat women.