Cottage cheese in lasagna??

Options
2»

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese but was disappointed when I've used it in lasagne. I like the idea someone gave about using half cottage cheese and half ricotta in lasagne. I would try that.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    ewww, ewwww, ewwwwwww! I true Italian would NEVER do it!!!

But, that's just me :wink:

ahhh well good thing I'm not italian Lol
  • ChelleDT
    ChelleDT Posts: 23
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for the reminder!!!! I'm supposed to make lasagna so hubby can bring some to his friend recovering from surgery.... I need to go to store to make sure I have all ingredients!

Thanks so much! you're a life saver.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,682 Member
    Options
    I love ricotta, but I actually prefer cottage cheese to ricotta in lasagna. I use the low-fat (2%) cottage cheese and reduced-fat mozzarella. Delish. Now my mouth is watering for lasagna.
  • kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    I've put cottage cheese and also I've put fresh tofu in place of both ricotta and cottage cheese. To me, I cannot tell the difference. All tasted great.
  • moveitmoveitmoveit
    Options
    The recipe I use uses cottage cheese mixed with an egg. I love it.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Same with me, though it's been longer than a year. I didn't know Ricotta existed cause mom only used Cottage Cheese cause it was cheaper.
    My mom did it, i didn't even know something called ricotta existed till...like a year ago.

Draining it sounds like a good plan.
  • samipd12
    samipd12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    my moms lasagna recipes has cottage cheese in it ... and it is pretty good.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    I use cottage- you can use an emersion blender to smooth it out if the texture bothers you
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I grew up thinking lasagna was always made with cottage cheese. My mom always whipped an egg and mixed it with the cottage cheese to firm up the texture. I think it's yummy, although ricotta is tasty, too.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It will be different but fine. I find it about the same as many exchanges. It is different, but you get used to it.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Tried it once...it's really good! But make sure you drain it. I didn't know and my lasagne came out like soup
  • tonid76
    tonid76 Posts: 51
    Options
    I use cottage cheese in my lasagna....it always turns out good. :) I don't care for ricotta cheese. To me, It has a chalky flavor. My mom mixes ricotta and cottage for her lasagna. Hope whatever you go with it turns out well.