Favorite low carb toast or bread substitute?

Options
2»

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Quite a few years ago, I was on Atkins diet. I used to make some "bread" items with gluten flour. I don't have any of them on-hand, but here is the results of a Google search, which shows lots of sites with recipes. There are about 6g carbs in 1/4 cup of gluten flour and 23 per 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour. I also used gluten flour for breaded coating on fried foods. It takes very little to get a nice crunch on shrimp, fish, chicken, etc. Bob's Red Mill makes gluten flour.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=gluten+flour+recipes+low+carb&oq=gluten+flour+reci&aq=1&aqi=g3g-v1&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l3j0i15.1996l5791l0l8491l17l9l0l8l8l0l100l543l8j1l17l0.frgbld.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3226d37ade666d03&biw=1680&bih=827
  • Skeen903
    Skeen903 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I love the Sarah Lee Whole Wheat with Honey bread. It is 90 cals for 2 slices and only 9 carbs after you subtract the dietary fiber.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was on atkins and would make "bread". Was like 3 grams of carbs.
    In a square tupperware bowl mix:
    1/4 cup flaxmeal
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    1 egg
    Salt/pepper/other spices to taste.

Stick it in the microwave for a minute... voila'!

Can add cocoa powder and splenda instead of spices for a chocolate cake one, or
    Cinnamon and splenda for a morning muffin.. ( i did the last 2 in a coffee mug, same cooking time)

The cinnamon uffin one sliced and toated is awesome...
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love the Sarah Lee Whole Wheat with Honey bread. It is 90 cals for 2 slices and only 9 carbs after you subtract the dietary fiber.

I will have to see if i can find this. That's better than the Healthy Life I was buying. (9 net carbs vs 13 net carbs).
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I like lettuce wraps & Pure Wraps.
    http://improveat.com/whatoffer.php
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory - Low Carb / High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas (Large)
  • hlaspecials
    Options
    You could spread it on a low carb wrap and cut into 4th's.
  • reach53
    reach53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump for the recipe
  • msue482
    msue482 Posts: 55
    Options
    Bump
  • wendywwhite
    wendywwhite Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I will have to see if i can find this. That's better than the Healthy Life I was buying. (9 net carbs vs 13 net carbs).

My favorite - called "Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful" Love the Ezekial's sprouted too.