How do you motivate yourself?

Options
I am now beginning my 49th year! (unfortunate enough to of had a birthday yesterday) and I have gained 10lbs since I joined MFP! My lower legs and ankles are really swollen and I feel about 96! I am going to join slimming world on Wednesday and am determined to shed 3 stone. I really need people on my back on a daily basis as my health is suffering too. Equally I went on a date recently (I am a single parent with 3 young lads) and was told I was not sexually attractive - in lay man terms a fat heffer! Sad but true.

I promise to log in daily and log my foods though exercise is off until my legs stop hurting.

Are you with me?

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like! I like to say encouraging things to my friends on here.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You can do it, I've been routing for you even when you went AWOL.
    Start tomorrow, that's a good girl :bigsmile:
  • ChelleDT
    ChelleDT Posts: 23
    Options
    You can do it hun!!!..

First suggestion - really try to watch the salt intake?? Are you on any blood pressure meds??
    A doc switched me from Lisinopril 10 mg to one with HCTZ. (still 10 mgs of lisinopril, but with a slight diuretic. )
    It did make a difference on how my feet felt.

Second - that guy was a total jerk. If he wasn't sexually attracted to you, he could well enough keep it to himself!. What did he expect? A one night stand and feel obligated to tell you why you weren't gonna "get any" that night?? Gee, he could well enough just have ended the date & just opted out of calling you again. There was no excuse to be rude like that.

You can do some excersizing even though pain in feet. Sit in a straight back chair (or I guess even comfy couch would do!) and get some small hand weights. Do the arm curls & over head arm extensions... hold them to your chest & sit near the edge of the chair & bend your body forward as far as possible without falling out of chair & then SLOWLY sit straight up... repeating (kinda like a sitting "sit up".) Even these small movements, done repetitively can be a good excersize, for those with injuries, bad knees, (foot pain), etc, etc. Don't rule out movements in chairs as "bad excersize" !!.
  • ChelleDT
    ChelleDT Posts: 23
    Options
    Oh, and if you're a TV watcher... You could even do the arm lifts/ arm curls only durring commercials. before you know it in an hour or two you've done about 15-30 mins of excersizing!.

Motivation,.. that's a hard one for me. If I keep telling myself I'm gonna be there to see my kid grow up.. or I've gotta be there to see him get married.... & repeat it while I'm working out... i tend to excersize longer. Or if I imagine/visualize myself in a skinny pretty dress, while I'm walking.. I tend to see that I walk longer those days!