Best heart rate monitor for the best price?

I've realized it'd be very beneficial to my weight loss to wear a heart rate monitor. I've been doing some research, but thought I might as well ask on here and see what everyone thinks.

I'm looking for one that has a chest strap along with being able to monitor calories burned, and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    You can get a Polar FT4 or FT7 for about 60 or 70 bucks.
    I just got mine from bodytronics, but I think they are about the same price on amazon.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    I got the Polar FT4. Mine was $70.00. I really like it so far. MFP wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over estimates my burns.
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    I like my Polar FT7 a lot and believe it was fairly reasonable when I bought it two years ago.
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    I have a Polar FT4 which I bought from Ebay for about $80 (Cdn.). I also bought one for my daughter for Christmas. We both love it. It is so much more accurate than some of the calorie burns shown on MFP or some machines.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    I bought my polar FT4 from amazon. Simple to use and I paid less than 60 dollars
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Yep, Bodytronics had the best price. $61.70 for the FT4 - it was the only place I could even find the pretty pink one...and I LOVE it! I wear it all the time. It's my new best friend - and its amazing to see how close/how far your actual calories burned is compared to what MFP, other sites, or your equipment says you're burning!
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 294 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Azdak's blog helped me settle on an FT40. It's a little more expensive, but it's more accurate than the FT4 or FT7.
  • jengigs
    jengigs Posts: 37 Member
    I just got the Polar FT4 this morning. So far, I really like it. Was really easy to get set up and going. I got mine at REI for $62, but I had a 20% off coupon and rewards bucks. Full price there is $90.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    You can get a Polar FT4 or FT7 for about 60 or 70 bucks.
    I just got mine from bodytronics, but I think they are about the same price on amazon.

I have the Polar FT7 and I absolutely love it!
  • I have the Polar FT4 and love it - got it from Bodytronics.com for $58.79 (includes shipping, no tax) using promo code POPO!!:drinker:
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    I've heard more and more great things about Polar and thats what I went in to buy and left w/Timex- Ironman #WR30m. i DONT like it because it didnt let me put in gender, which asyou know, calories burned for men and women are different!

I may see if I can take back and get the polar. The timex gives me high calorie readings, so having to do math to figure out true #. Its all estimates anyhow, but I would like less work to figure out my calories...happy journey!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    I have the Polaar FT4 and I love it. Simple and efficient.
  • Creeley87
    Creeley87 Posts: 1 Member
    Thanks MrsCherry! Just bought a FT4 from BodyTronics and saved money with the promo code that you provided :happy: Hopefully I'll be up and running soon!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I did my research & narrowed my picks to the Polar FT4 or 7 & the New Balance N4. Then I searched eBay for auctions for new items of each, put them on my watch list and kept an eye on them. I got my brand-new-in-the-box New Balance N4 for $26 (retails for $70). Works great!
  • plargomar
    plargomar Posts: 17 Member
    Me and my husband settled on the Polar FT40 for each of us....we love ours :)