Do you eat many canned foods?

Options
In this article http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120412113557.htm researchers found a connection between blood levels of some of the phthalates and increased prevalence of diabetes, even after adjusting for obesity, blood lipids, smoking, and exercise habits. Individuals with elevated phthalate levels had roughly twice the risk of developing diabetes compared with those with lower levels.

Researchers think that phthalates may disrupt the production of insulin in the pancreas. Monica Lind, associate professor of environmental medicine at the Section for Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Uppsala University says in Science Daily

Although our results need to be confirmed in more studies, they do support the hypothesis that certain environmental chemicals can contribute to the development of diabetes.

In addition to choosing organic cosmetics and avoiding plastics whenever possible, your diet also has a lot to do with your exposure to phthalates. A study, published in Environmental Health Perspectives, found concentrations of BPA were reduced by 66 percent and concentrations of phthalates were reduced by between 53 and 56 percent just by eating fresh foods. Some food manufacturers like Eden Foods are BPA free but even ones that make organic claims are not.

I prefer to eat fresh foods and buy a soap and body cream from a lady who makes it at home without chemicals. It's impossible to get away from chemicals in our environment, but every little bit adds up I think.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I have a few canned items:
    No salt added Black Beans
    No salt added stewed tomatoes
    No salt added diced tomatoes
    No salt added chili beans
    No salt added kidney beans
    Pumpkin (pureed, not the pie filling kind, straight pumpkin)
    Some cans of soup that I will probably not eat. Bought these forever ago.

I think that's it, everything else is fresh or frozen. I cannot stand nasty canned fruit or canned vegetables YUCK! **edit: except tomatoes, black, kidney and chili beans that is.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    not really. prefer fresh
  • Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    I saw this article on the Huffington Post this morning and I don't eat many canned things (beans mostly) nor do I buy cheap makeup/body washes/shampoos, etc. that contains crap. I'm more concerned about avoiding parabens but I really do take most studies like this with a grain of salt, i'm not saying the article is lies but I'm not going to throw out every can of beans I own. Everyday i'm bombarded with "this new study says to avoid this" or "you have to avoid this or you'll die" and then another study will come out a week later questioning the results or completely contradicting the previous article. I try and use common sense when it comes to things but if I took the advice of everything i've read about what to avoid or watch for - i'd be a sad sight. I'd probably die of starvation or the stress from worry.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The world is a wonderful chemical soup. Everything is chemicals.

Enjoy 5 dollar a can BPA-free items.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    yes. mostly cos I'm lazy... should I try to phase them our?
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do, but I think I am going to finish the stuff I got and start canning my own stuff in glass jars instead.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I do, but I think I am going to finish the stuff I got and start canning my own stuff in glass jars instead.
    my mom used to can. so much work. how do you learn how?
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    the occasional canned fruit or veggie, but not often.

oh and tuna.
  • mmn7303
    mmn7303 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jrossmrv my mom used to can. so much work. how do you learn how?

A great website for learning to can is pickyourown.org .
  • anima_gemella
    anima_gemella Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    the only canned food would be canned tomatoes and tuna
  • sissypunks
    Options
    i home can most of ours from the garden every year taste is WAY better and u know what u r getting !
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    only when I absolutely HAVE to. Like, for pumpkin puree or coconut milk.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I tend to use frozen over canned. It's safer.

Every time I use the can opener, I get stampeded with cats.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I still have a good bit of canned stuff in my cabinets, and I'm slowly using it all. I have been working to cut back on my sodium, so I switched to fresh or frozen. I'm much happier with how things look and taste now too.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    my mom used to can. so much work. how do you learn how?

Canning is easy. It only takes about a day's worth of cookin' and canning to stock up for several months at a time. My grandmother and I used to make homemade jam and can all the veggies from the garden once every month or so. It's a great idea for saving money.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do have a few canned items. I live alone so fresh food tends to go bad before I can eat it sometimes. I try to buy it when I need it or know I'll use it within the week. Canned foods can come in handy sometimes.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    yes, I eat canned foods all the time. I try to buy the "no salt added" as much as possible. It's just easier for me during the week, cause I usually don't have much time to make dinner after work and relax
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from them and get the real thing. Lately, I've had some canned green beans, but that's it.
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I actually had a group of girls knock on my door yesterday, they were doing a canned food drive and I had nothing canned to give them. We ate canned veggies and fruit when I was growing up but I don't care much for them now. Prefer fresh or frozen.