running- how to control my breathing

Options
I struggle so much running...

I've always struggled with a little exercise induced asthma but I use an inhaler before my workouts and during if needed to control those symptoms. I thought the out of control breathing in the beginning was mostly just because I was fat and out of shape, but I have been working with a personal trainer since January and I've lost a total of 40 lbs since December. My fitness levels have increased tremendously. I can run.. but I have to do 30 seconds on 30 seconds off... and it doesn't really matter what speed. I can do that at 5mph jog or a 12mph sprint and still get the same result. But even at a light jog, for more than about 60 or 90 seconds, my breathing gets so out of control that I have to stop. I work out 5 days a week,. I play ultimate frisbee and softball-those I can do because they are short burst or running with a few seconds to control my breathing. So many of my friends are into 5k races and trail running, and I want to be also.. but I feel so limited.

Any suggestions or how I can overcome?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The usual reason new runners get out of breath is running to quickly.

Have you tried to breath slowly & deeply based on your footfalls? (when I'm doing a longer slower run I try for 4 in and 4 out, faster paces may be 2 in and 2 out) Are you breathing out fully? (getting all of the Co2 out of your lungs? A common problem for new scuba divers who take shallow breaths - over excitement?)

Maybe you could talk to your trainer about some of the breathing exercises used in yoga to learn to breathe deeply but in a relaxed manner.

Good luck! (I may be biased but running is awesome)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Just keep going.

Distance running is largely determined by the make-up of the fibers in the muscles in your legs, and what they're conditioned for. If they're conditioned to go in fast, quick busts, that's what they'll respond to. To get the slow-twitch fibers conditiomed (the aerobic ones that will help you go farther and are resistant to fatigue), you have to work them more for endurance.

Try and slow down just enough so that you're almost walking, but stay in running form, and that might help. Even if you're going slower running than you would be walking, condition those muscles to keep the running form, and eventually, they will be retrained. It takes time, though, so be patient! :)
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Im the same as above with breathing on footfalls and mainly go by 2 in 2 out rate.

Give it a go - and it gives you something to concentrate on, or speak with your trainer

Good luck ;) and yes running is AWESOME!!!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I agree, you might still be going too fast. I'm no expert, I only started running at the beginning of last month, but I was really struggling with my breathing and read on here how running too fast was the problem. I really was convinced I was going as slow as I could, and couldn't work out what I was doing wrong. After a week or two, I put some slower songs on my MP3 player and forced myself to slow down even more - I felt like I looked ridiculous, and could have walked faster, but I managed to go further and when I checked my PB when I got home, it had improved.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just want to be able to run for more than a minute or so without getting so winded that I have to stop. I can probably do 2 on 2 off, but I know I can't do 4 on 4 off. And, like I said, I get winded even at 5 mph. I've always been more of a sprinter and I enjoy that type of running WAY more.. but I'm looking to switch things up a little. Thanks for all your thoughts!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump to read tonight
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I count my breaths and that helps me when I'm having trouble pacing my breathing. With practice, I have developed a sense of the right pace for me and I can tell if I'm going too fast and I make myself slow down and breathe deeper into my stomach instead of "chest" breathing. I know it's not very specific advice, but I've played with it and it works for me, so I thought I'd throw it out there...

Good Luck!!
    Jen
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The trick is to slow down! You do not have to beat anyone but yourself. It is not a race! remember you only have to beat the voices in your head that are TELLING you to stop! so if you can only run 4.6 miles an hour...who cares? you are running! it will come, I promise! next week you will run 4.7 miles an hour etc! just keep running at that rate until you feel comfortable with it and then move up speed...slightly!
  • danielle1983cov
    Options
    I am exactly the same. Can work out on any other machine/do any class for an hour or two/do any other exercise, but I still CANNOT run! My OH is able to run now, but I still can't. It's so frustrating! I do sometimes wonder if it's all in my head, but my lungs tell me otherwise! Maybe the inhaler is actually just a crutch... If anyone does have a magic answer that'd be fab. I am going to try again to build up my stamina when running, but it's bloomin hard isn't it? I think control is the main thing if, like me, all other exercise capability has improved.

Good luck!
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    "I struggle so much running...

I've always struggled with a little exercise induced asthma but I use an inhaler before my workouts and during if needed to control those symptoms. I thought the out of control breathing in the beginning was mostly just because I was fat and out of shape, but I have been working with a personal trainer since January and I've lost a total of 40 lbs since December. My fitness levels have increased tremendously. I can run.. but I have to do 30 seconds on 30 seconds off... and it doesn't really matter what speed. I can do that at 5mph jog or a 12mph sprint and still get the same result. But even at a light jog, for more than about 60 or 90 seconds, my breathing gets so out of control that I have to stop. I work out 5 days a week,. I play ultimate frisbee and softball-those I can do because they are short burst or running with a few seconds to control my breathing. So many of my friends are into 5k races and trail running, and I want to be also.. but I feel so limited.

Any suggestions or how I can overcome?"

I have the same issue but I was given a tip by a runner in the gym the other day. It sounds weird and yet plausible. She told me to sing whilst breathing in and out. She suggested "Row, row, row your boat", breathing in on a line and out on the next. I plan to try it tomorrow.

Edited to show quote by OP.
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bumping to re-read all the good tips & advice later. Thanks Hezzietiger1 for asking this question!
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm asthmatic too and used to struggle with the same thing. I still do to a degree, but not as much as before. I've found that if I really concentrate on my breathing by counting the breaths each time my foot hits the floor it really helps. I breathe in through my nose (breaths 1 and 2) then puff out through my mouth (breaths 3 and 4). This even works to slow down or stop the onset of an asthma attack while I'm running - there have been times when I've felt my chest tightening but refocused on my breathing and didn't have to take an inhaler!

Hope you find a pattern that works for you too.

Natalie x
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I've definitely noticed my stamina is increased when I take fuller and longer breaths. :) When I breath too quickly, I definitely get out of breath.

PS I've come to really enjoy running! :) So I think it's awesome too!
  • kimberlygo
    Options
    I sing to whatever is playing on my ipod. If I"m at the gym I don't do it outloud obviously, but the natural pauses in the music help me pace and control my breath.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've had this same problem since I was a child and not overweight. I found it impossible to catch my breath while running... which made running the mile in school absolute hell, as I would have to walk it and finish almost last.

But I would always win the sprinting races! At this point I am very overweight but still would like to try to run. Sometimes I try to jog during my walks and sometimes I can only make it past a few mail boxes before I can't breathe again. I'm hoping that with time and practice it will eventually get better. The lungs are muscles like any others and can be trained, right?
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am also Asthmatic and have allergies. Same as most have said. It's the breathing for me too.

I dont do footsteps I do concentrate on exhale out mouth slow and completely. Often I catch myself breathing in quick and out quick and hurting. Its hard to keep breathing controlled and at a slower rate that you are moving but it works for me.

I concentrate on exhale slow and completely and same with inhale. Slow in nose FULL capacity and out mouth FULL capacity. Maybe you may want to practice when you are not active so you can teach yourself to control when exercising.

If needed in and out mouth is ok just make sure you exhale completely each time and keep it controlled.

Hope this helps!
  • afelsing
    afelsing Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the controlled breathing recommendations. One thing that I have a tendency to do is to run with my shoulders tensed up - not loose and relaxed. It's a natural running motion for me and I have to focus on running relaxed. Maybe finding a running coach to give your form a once over could possibly uncover some things that could make the runs a little easier?

Good luck out there!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Finding a breathing pattern really helped me. I started with 3 in and 2 out, and I would make like a swoosh sound on the outs. Goofy but it helped. Now I'm more at a two in two out. I've always been a swimmer so it was an adjustment, you can't breath running like you do swimming!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Tomorrow morning instead of my typical do as much as I can as fast as I can and burn as many calories possible in the shortest amount of time workout.. I'm gonna go for a nice SLOW jog/walk and work on controlled breathing. I'll let you know how it goes.