I can NOT believe I used to eat like THIS!

Options

Replies

• CarolinaButterfly
    Options
    Keying in mine when i first started was like a never ending story..i couldn't believe how much i was eating.. i blamed the washer for my jeans not fitting!
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    typical breakfast 1/2 dozens eggs 1/2 pound of bacon 4 slices of toast 16 ounces of whole milk
    I am not sure just how many calories but I know this couldnt be good for me guess thats why I wound up at over 360 pounds

I know what you mean. I was 368 at my heaviest and I ate HORRIBLE!
  • Curt959
    Curt959 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm with ya here! I, too, was consuming 3,000 - 5,000 calories per day (and was not exercising) prior to joining MFP. Many people cannot believe I've lost the amount of weight I have, by simply exercise and eating smarter, due to being cognizant of calorie intake versus calories burned!
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    I used to eat like that constantly, too, but i don't anymore! I could go to krystal (used to be my favorite fast food) and eat 4-6 krystals with cheese, a large sweet tea or soda, and a large order of fries with about 15 packs of ketchup on them! sometimes I'd even go get more! Its great that neither of us do that anymore though :) food like that is just a heart attack on a platter! Great to know you're eating healthier now! great job, im so happy for you! much luck in the future :flowerforyou:

Thanks! You too : )
  • AC417
    AC417 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was in shock when I realized how many calories I used to eat before starting on MFP, but as one of my friends pointed out, what's done is done and there's no use fretting over it because we can't change it. We've all come a long way since then. We should learn our mistakes and concentrate on the future. :)
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    I easily ate 3,000-5,000 a day before I started MFP. I would get Chinese food and have a large hot and sour soup, sweet and sour chicken with fried rice and crab wantons. If I was depressed I would go buy half a sheet cake from the grocery store and eat the entire thing. It makes me so sad that I did that to myself.

I know how you feel. Even though I don't do that NOW, I feel so ashamed of myself when I think of how I used to eat!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I used to have fast food for several meals a day. And let me tell you, I am a french fry girl.. If I got a burger I ALWAYs got the whole meal!! Usually a large too! I am in awe of how I used to eat and since I've been eating better I feel better but SOMETIMES I miss eating those kinds of foods~! D: I doubt I could go a week without a free day!! :(
  • jucciifruit
    jucciifruit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well i havent made nearly as much progress as everyone else but i have definatly changed my mind about food since MFP. I used to eat a whole foot long sub turn around eat two or three cookies drink two or three 20 oz at 9 o clock at night.. I have seen times i have gone to the chineese buffet and cleand 3 and half plates full and ended up snacking all night later. I have cut back fast food majorly and cut sodas out completely. while im still begining this journey im glad i see food for what it really is now.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    until MFP I did not realize that 1/2 gallon of icecream was not a single serving....:)
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've found it simply amazing as to what I used to eat without even batting an eye...not necessarily WHAT, but how MUCH. I love this site because I've learned so much about food...what I used to think was healthy in essence isn't (ie: spaghetti sauce)...I know I still eat some bad things from time to time, but I'm so much more aware of what I put in my mouth :happy:
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    until MFP I did not realize that 1/2 gallon of icecream was not a single serving....:)

lol
  • joepolo70
    Options
    I hear ya. I started my new life 10 weeks ago and don't miss the old at all. When I did the same thing and looked at what I used too eat, I couldn't believe how I ever imagined that I wasn't hurting myself. I know I probably ate 5k per day on a normal basis and had 6 - 7k days at times. I know I will never go back to that. I joined a great program at Zacharias Ganey Health Institute (www.zghealth.com) and the future looks great. The program I'm in now I probably could not have done 5 years ago, but I have been working hard at trying to come up with a "diet" that would work. I never realized that I didn't need a "diet", but a new way of thinking and a new life. This is something that will stick for a long time to come. Even if I don't continue with them for some reason in the future, I will never go back to what I once was.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    I hear ya. I started my new life 10 weeks ago and don't miss the old at all. When I did the same thing and looked at what I used too eat, I couldn't believe how I ever imagined that I wasn't hurting myself. I know I probably ate 5k per day on a normal basis and had 6 - 7k days at times. I know I will never go back to that. I joined a great program at Zacharias Ganey Health Institute (www.zghealth.com) and the future looks great. The program I'm in now I probably could not have done 5 years ago, but I have been working hard at trying to come up with a "diet" that would work. I never realized that I didn't need a "diet", but a new way of thinking and a new life. This is something that will stick for a long time to come. Even if I don't continue with them for some reason in the future, I will never go back to what I once was.

Good job! That is awesome : )
  • Ironlion45
    Ironlion45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah I look at the way I used to eat and I too felt a similar horror at just what awful stuff I'd eat on a regular basis.

I already feel way better, healthier and cleaner.

And after keeping track of food, It really has taught me: I can be satisfied with smaller portions.

I used to lack the discipline, but knowing right there: every 3500 calories over my maintenance level is a pound of weight gain.

One trip to a fast food place could easily equal 3500 calories, if you pig out. It's no wonder that we are so frequently obese
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    My husband and I used to eat fast food almost everyday sometimes as a late night "snack" after we already had dinner we'd order combos at MC Donald's thats about 2500 cal just in the evening...sometimes we'd eat inside a fast food place eat, want more, and go thru the drive thru! omg so embarrassing...I can't really remember the last time i ate fast food and my husband and I haven't eaten like that in almost 2yrs. I have learned to cook way better and changed alot of things I have lost about 62lbs total so far...
  • Ironlion45
    Ironlion45 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've found it simply amazing as to what I used to eat without even batting an eye...not necessarily WHAT, but how MUCH.

Yeah, the same here- I've really learned that I can enjoy treats still, as long as I'm conscious of the portion- and keeping it in tune with my daily diet.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    I've found it simply amazing as to what I used to eat without even batting an eye...not necessarily WHAT, but how MUCH.

Yeah, the same here- I've really learned that I can enjoy treats still, as long as I'm conscious of the portion- and keeping it in tune with my daily diet.

Yeah me too..... Like 2 oreos instead of half the package. lol. I have found that buying the "100 Calorie Packs" of different snack foods helps me to keep my portions in check!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Before MFP I didn't know what a single serving of ANYTHING was, just knowing that has been such a life changer for me.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm still kind of struggling with my calories, but I used to eat approx. 3000 cals a day without even blinking.

I probably ate about 5,000 some days... maybe more. I'm so glad I finally realized what I was doing to myself!

I have no idea how much I ate before...but 5,000 or so would probably be about right. I wouldn't have even thought twice about it.
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    I had an MFp last year and after a few months I could tell I wasn't serious. My average intake was around 2,400.

I miss the days I would work and go to the gym. I would burn at least 800 calories a day walking at work. (i wore a pedometer to check this) and then burn another 600-1000 at the gym. Which is probably why I could eat almost 1800+ a day and maintain 140-145. Once I moved and didn't have that job and stopped working out that many calories added up.

I can't believe the amount I would eat though.