what should i weigh

Options

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I weigh in the 145-150 range. I weighed around 115lbs in high school, but there's NO WAY I would look good or healthy at such a low weight now. My current weight is at the high end for my height, but I'm okay with it. I am comfortable. It is easy to maintain. I like how I look. My blood work and other health tests are all "excellent". All of those things mean more to me than a certain number on the scale.

I should add: I take the BMI charts with a grain of salt. They don't take into account your lean body mass or body fat percentage. A bodybuilder would be considered "obese".

I am in the normal range for body fat percentage is around 26% and my LBM is around 110lbs.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is 100 lbs at 5 feet plus 5-6lbs for every inch over
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree with shooting for 150. It's at the top normal weight for your height. I'm 5'4 (almost) and am shooting for 140, the top of my normal. Even that will be difficult for me to attain, and maintain. Make a couple short term goals. No need to start with such a huge number. It almost leads to defeat. :( You can do this...one pound at a time!
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and currently weight 142 with a goal of 130. I Think once I hit 130 I might decide to go a little lower but we'll see. I really think you need to get to 150, since that is your goal, and see how you feel. I can honestly say that right now I feel better then I did when I weighed 117 in college. My whole life style is healthier and I am much more active then I used to be. Keep your doctor's suggested weight in minded but don't overwhelm yourself with the thought of it. Listen to your body and you won't fail!
  • icrant
    icrant Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Both of you are right! According to WHO, a healthy weight for you is ... 110-150lbs! 150-180lbs = Overweight, 180-300lbs = Obese
  • Kendrawinn
    Kendrawinn Posts: 160
    Options
    Im 5'5".... and my goal is 125. My current weight is 148 measurements 36--30--40. But I have seen some ppl on MFP that are 150 and look Awesome, I guess its up to you. I beleive for a 5'5" person the healthy weight range is 115-150. Good luck baby doll.
  • jucciifruit
    jucciifruit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 5" and weigh 115 currently. My profile pic was taken when I weighed about 119-120. I don't think I look cracked out. =)
    Omg im so sorry i feel bad now. I guess i have been this size for pratcially my whole life...well since 10th grad, and i can picture myself much smaller. Im sorry i wasnt trying to offend anyone :smooched:
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm an inch taller than you, currently weigh 165.5lbs, and according to the "charts" I'm overweight. I've lost 70lbs to this point, and my husband is literally begging me to stop losing. (as are my parents and friends), as the concern is that I'll look "unhealthy" at a lower weight.

It's a tough call, and only one that you can make. I'd say try for a goal of 200lbs, then work down to 175lbs, and go from THAT point on. That's what I did..

I started at 235lbs and my first goal was 200lbs.
    Hit 200lbs and aimed for 175lbs
    Hit 175lbs and wasn't happy and wanted 170
    Hit 170lbs and still wasn't happy and wanted 165...

I'm almost there, and truthfully, still not happy, but I know it's not about the actual weight--I need to let go of 20+years of HATING myself and my body. That's where my issues really lie :)

Good luck with this...it's difficult, and completely individual...but you'll figure it out for yourself! :)
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I beleive that the range for those of us who are 5'5 is around 130-155. 115 might be okay depending on your frame size. I have been at 125 before and that was just fine.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    @ 5'5", your ideal weight range would be between 111-150... So if you were at 150, you would be at the top of your ideal weight range... Certainly within the healthy range but would not leave you much room. At 115, you would be very much at the bottom of the ideal weight range and would not leave much room either. I am not sure what your Dr. is thinking and there may be some mitigating circumstances that would make him/her suggest that weight for you. Then again, it may be like my doc was when I spoke to him about my weight..> He admitted that he did not have a chart in front of him and took an educated guess at about 230 (which is still overweight for my height... I had asked that question because the YMCA had recommended 248-288 and I felt like that was a bit high... He concurred with that. If there are no mitigating circumstances, I would say a good goal weight would be about 130... That would be the midpoint of your weight range according to BMI standard. All that being said, if you are particularly muscular, you may be able to carry more weight... There are certainly healthy NFL players who are technically overweight but carry huge muscular arms (muscle weighs more than fat.).. They key is to get your body fat within the standards for you build, age, and sex.

The bottom line is this... At your current weight, you are well over what you need to be... You know that or you would not be here... Any weight you lose will help. Best wishes.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and currently at 133, but I'd been as high as 168. At 150 I was a size 10. But, I'm not small framed. I'm medium framed with a pretty heftly amount of muscle. @ 133, I'm loosely wearing size 6.

Get yourself under 200 and then set a reasonable goal from there. When you drop the weight to get to 200, you may find new energy and enthusiasm to push to 150 or lower.

150 isn't out of the question, but I think, for some of us 5'5" folks, 115 is. I couldn't carry it off. Others look fab at 115.
  • jucciifruit
    Options
    150's a little high, I'm 5'8 and my ideal weight range is between 131 and 164. Depends on your body type too...Do you have small bones? I unfortunately am muscular and have medium-sized bones so I'll go for the 164 and see from there if I should shed anymore or not
    I dont think i have small bones
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 115. :/
  • jucciifruit
    Options
    :happy: Thanks everyone for all of your replys they were all verfy helpful. i have a pretty good idea about what i should be. my goad now is 150, and i will readjust it later on down the road. :heart: Thanks again everyone
  • jucciifruit
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and currently at 133, but I'd been as high as 168. At 150 I was a size 10. But, I'm not small framed. I'm medium framed with a pretty heftly amount of muscle. @ 133, I'm loosely wearing size 6.

Get yourself under 200 and then set a reasonable goal from there. When you drop the weight to get to 200, you may find new energy and enthusiasm to push to 150 or lower.

150 isn't out of the question, but I think, for some of us 5'5" folks, 115 is. I couldn't carry it off. Others look fab at 115.
    Right i am medium framed. i dont think 115 would be the best for me maybe 135-150. and yea thats a good idea, ill get my self into onederland and then decide how far i want to go
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 115. :/

um . . .
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    I'm not offended, just showing you roughly what it looks like. Like I said, my profile pic wasn't quite that low. I took that in the fall before a football game. I think it sounds like you have a good plan. My goals are always evolving. I was up some over winter and wanted to drop some weight and I thought I would be happy, but then I started seeing some muscle definition, we started eating a better diet, and my goals have shifted. I want more muscle, lol! I think we are all pretty much work in progress and I love this community. Good luck =)
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    5'5 Should be between 115-145.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    imho, the scale does not mean anything.
    sure i have lost quite a bit of weight but inbetween january-april i have only lost 4lbs and have gone from a size 16 (aus) to a size 12!
    muscles, water weight, bone size will all affect the number on the scales.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Get to 150 and then decide. Typically people readjust their goals along the way. I'm 5'3" and have no idea what my final weight will be. I have lots of muscle.
    Don't sweat this stuff, just pick a first goal and work towards it!
    Good luck!!

I agree with this^ You will know when you look and feel best. 5'8" here and I range between 144 and 150. Did drop to 135 but decided I looked.....too bony?....so went up a few.