what should i weigh

Options
13»

Replies

• TerriSmithMurray
    TerriSmithMurray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you are right 150 then readjust. I am 5'6" and my doc says 145-160... for my frame
  • cowchick4_fun
    Options
    hey, im 5'5 and i have been told that a healthy weight i should weigh is 135-145 lbs. dont stress out about it you will get to where you need to be. start there and then go from there.thats what im doing and thats all i can do too. best of luck.
  • futbolkt21
    Options
    Call me crazy but i think the DR is crazy. Im 5'5" 245lbs. According to the dr i should weigh at 115:sad: . Now let me say nobody in my family is that small. NOBODY. Maybe we are all unhealthy i dont know but in reality what should i weigh?. I keep adjusting my weight loss goal because i mean i want to be healthy but dont want to look cracked out...excuse the term :ohwell: I think i should be around 150? Am i wrong?:noway:

I wouldn't stress yourself out about that right now. I recommend setting smaller goals first and then adjusting. I started at 250 and my goal on here is 175, though I know that once I get there I'll want to keep going. My first semi-big goal is to get under 200 (just a few pounds away!).
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP February 29 I weighed 241 and I am 5' 5". My goal is 150, but MFP says for my height I should weigh in between 111 - 150. I am not a doctor but just take baby steps and the weight will fall off. Good luck on your journey.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5. I am setting small goals. The first one is to lose 15 lbs. I started at 185, so that will take me to 170. When I reach that goal, I will lose another 15, which will take me to 155. At that point I will reassess and see how I feel... maybe another 10 after that, maybe just tone... I'll figure it out then.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    How about a simple thing such as using a bmi calculator like this one from the mayo clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi-calculator/NU00597
  • DNMcConnell
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I know that I would look absolutely anorexic if I was 115. At my fittest when I was swimming competitively daily and in the best shape I have ever been, I weighed 140, so it really depends on the person.

Either way, if you make it down to 150, you are going to look and feel great about yourself, so don't put too much pressure on those extra pounds. :-)
  • hinmana
    hinmana Posts: 16
    Options
    I wouldn't focus on the end goal right away. I think if you just take it slow you will have better success and will be less likely to get frustrated. For your height 115 might be your ideal weight but very few people are actually their ideal weight. I think you will figure out a weight at which you are comfortable at for yourself.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your doctor said "one fifteen" and not "one fifty?"

115 is the low end of a healthy weight for 5'5. Personally, I was a little too bony at that weight. I'm in approximately the same size clothing now at 130-ish, but not bony.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, a 5'5" woman should weigh around 130, even less, I'm 5'5" and weigh 120........
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and aiming for 130. I'll see how I look and feel and adjst it from there.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Get to 150 and then decide. Typically people readjust their goals along the way. I'm 5'3" and have no idea what my final weight will be. I have lots of muscle.
    Don't sweat this stuff, just pick a first goal and work towards it!
    Good luck!!

Exactly! Ypu can guess, but it's always just going to be a guess that doesn't matter at all. You are in no way bound to that original goal, it just motivates some people to have one.

One thing you could do is some math: I started at 33% body fat and 174 pounds. I think women look hot (and I would look hot) around 20% body fat. I started with 174*(1-.33) = 116.6 lb of lean body mass. IF I could maintain all of that lean mass, then my final equation would be (goal weight)*(1-.2) = 116.6 rearranging and solving, my goal weight would be 145.7. Then, as I lost weight (and lean body mass :( ) I readjusted my equation to get an estimate of how much more I think I need to lose. It's not perfect, but I like math, so it works for me! And I still don't know if I will be "done" at that number, but we'll see!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Healthy BMI range says 5' 5" should be between 111 and 150.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    According to my BMI chart, 115 pounds is at the very bottom of the Normal range for 5'5". The top of the Normal range for 5'5" is 150 pounds. So, I suppose anywhere in between where you feel comfortable would be just fine. I wonder why a doctor would tell you 115? Maybe he likes skinny girls, who knows.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, a 5'5" woman should weigh around 130, even less, I'm 5'5" and weigh 120........

I don't know . . . depends on lean body mass. I'm 5'4 and 130 . . .
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is 100 lbs at 5 feet plus 5-6lbs for every inch over

The above is a good indicator, but I agree with pretty much everyone here: set your "now" goal and then reassess once you've reached it. It's better to have smaller goals that you keep pushing than have a massive goal that may leave you unmotivated.

I'm just under 5'10'' and I used to be 193lbs (size14 in clothes). I set my 1st goal as a purely weight goal which was 175lbs. Once I reached it, I set another for 165lbs. Being a size 8 at that point, I realized I still had quite allot of fat, so I decided to start weight training (3x a week with a trainer for 25min) and do cardio every other day. I then changed my goal from a purely weight goal to a body fat% goal. I'm at 21.6% now (measured properly at my gym) which is "good" for my age and height and I aim for 19.5% which is just under the 19.7% maximum to be in the "Excellent" category. All this to say that I'm 156lbs now (size 6), but I don't really care anymore what the scale needs to say or what the doctor wants it to say: I just look at BF% (and how my clothes fit).

If I had started this journey with a goal to lose 30lbs+, I'd probably would have been discouraged by the number, so that's why small goals worked for me.

Oh, and it was determined by my doctor that I have a big bone structure and I used that for a long time as an excuse why I was bigger. While I will always have a large frame and never look "petite" and "delicate" I'm looking more and more like a strong lean athlete and I'm happy with that :)
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    115 is tiny. I have a small frame, and I could never maintain that low with any muscle on my body at all. I'm 136 now, and I'm shooting for something around 125. At 117 I had a 22-23 inch waist and was a size 0. I have no interest in being that tiny again.
  • Melissa42399
    Options
    My doc told me I should weigh 125. Im 5 6 and the least I've weighed is 140 and I wore an 8 then. I dont have a small frame either. I feel comfortable at 160 ish. I could never see myself weighing 125. I'd look like a bone!!!! My mom is 5 foot 9 and she weighs 115. She has a very small frame and her ring finger is like a size 4. Unfortunately, Im built medium frame and muscular. Unlucky me.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I think you should shoot for 150 and then how you feel. When I started losing I decided to shoot for 100 lb weight loss even though it seemed impossible. Because this was so overwhelming i just concentrated on 10 lbs at a time, with each 10 lbs lost i bought myself a new pair of earrings. I have now lost 98.5 lbs when I reach 100 lbs weight loss I will concentrate on toning up for awhile and then decide if I want to lose 5-15 lbs more.....it really depends on your bone structure. I am 5;6'and at 128 everyone told me I looked to thin and that I shouldnt get that low again......
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is 100 lbs at 5 feet plus 5-6lbs for every inch over

That's only a guide. I've known plenty of 5' women who weighed under 100 and they were perfectly healthy. I know you said "general," but some people treat these guides as dictates..