Thick thighs............not so bad after all

Options
2»

Replies

• CleoBarker
    Options
    I have "thick thighs"! 25 beautiful inches each. They are strong as can be and keep my legs proportional to my big booty. Plus a little known fact is that those skinny legged girls look like they can be broken in half and they also don't have the obsessed about key-hole. If you don't know what that is, look it up, it makes you feel good about yourself. :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Is this related to waist to hip ratio correlating with lower risk of diseases?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    24.5 inches . . . . ya, that's thick!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    66cm alas although my thighs are quite muscular and always have been i can certainly say there is a fair bit of flab on them at present :sad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OK - I just had to get out of bed to measure them!! And I won't be having a heart attack anytime soon apparently - 65cm - to go along with the big booty.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I've always hated my thighs but now if I could just get then toned n smoothed out I'd love them!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've never bothered to take this measurement until now: 22 inches/ 56 cm
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind having thicker thighs.

They are currently 56cm at their widest.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thicker Thighs = Improved Health?
    by Ryan Halvorson
    ... a world where thin is in, scientists are suggesting that thicker thighs could mean better health. A study published in the Harvard ...
    In a world where thin is in, scientists are suggesting that thicker thighs could mean better health. A study published in the Harvard Men’s Health Watch newsletter (www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mens_Health_Watch/2012/January) involved 2,816 apparently healthy men and women aged 35–65. Each participant was measured for height and weight and for thigh, hip and waist circumference. Subjects were tracked for 12.5 years on average.
    Rest of article reads: Participants with a measurement of 62cm of the thigh were determined to have a lower risk of heart disease and lower risk of premature death.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I've seen similar discussions before. Doesn't it relate to pear shaped vs apple shaped i.e how fat tends to be distributed on the body? Guessing this might help to assess that relationship in men as well as women.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thicker Thighs = Improved Health?
    by Ryan Halvorson
    ... a world where thin is in, scientists are suggesting that thicker thighs could mean better health. A study published in the Harvard ...
    In a world where thin is in, scientists are suggesting that thicker thighs could mean better health. A study published in the Harvard Men’s Health Watch newsletter (www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mens_Health_Watch/2012/January) involved 2,816 apparently healthy men and women aged 35–65. Each participant was measured for height and weight and for thigh, hip and waist circumference. Subjects were tracked for 12.5 years on average.
    Rest of article reads: Participants with a measurement of 62cm of the thigh were determined to have a lower risk of heart disease and lower risk of premature death.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I've seen similar discussions before. Doesn't it relate to pear shaped vs apple shaped i.e how fat tends to be distributed on the body? Guessing this might help to assess that relationship in men as well as women.

That's what I thought, if you store more fat in your thighs, it means less in your midsection (which is the most dangerous place to store fat apparently)
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    YES!!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    This is reassuring. My thighs are definitely of the "thunder" variety and to be honest, I've actually always liked them! They were fatty when I started my journey, but now a lot of fat is gone I have some muscle definition that is making me fall in love.

As far as being healthy, I think it is just that those who store fat on their thighs usually don't store as much on their gut. Belly fat has been correlated to higher cardiac and diabetic mortality. So storing less there would generally reduce those risks. As far as comparing the mortalities between healthy, non obese people, makes these findings a little more interesting. Did they say the width difference was muscle or fat?
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Is this related to waist to hip ratio correlating with lower risk of diseases?

Yeah... I think it's more data to say being like a pear is healthier than being like an apple. :)
  • HealthyWayorNoWay
    HealthyWayorNoWay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of learning to love mine!
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I always had thick thighs and was pear shaped, in my current journey my thighs are now smaller than they were in my 20's and I'm having trouble losing it from my tummy/waist. I put my new muscular leg shape down to zumba !
  • Millefleur
    Millefleur Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    69.9 :grumble: Although I still have a lot to lose I've given up on ever having slim thighs, they've always been strong no matter what I've weighed and the fronts of my thighs have a massive curve of muscle, all the fat is on the inner/backs. I don't mind it until it comes to shopping for trousers, recently anything snug on the thighs is loose on the waist :grumble:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    all this endurance training is getting mine thicker.. and more solid .. thighs that is..lol

lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    bump