Beginner strength training

Options
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and I'm worried that by not doing any strength training, that I'm compromising my weight loss etc.
I don't even really know where to start.I've read a few articles and one suggested the following format for a beginner;
1 exercise for each of the following: chest,back, shoulders, biceps and triceps.
2-4 exercises for legs.

Would this be ok? What exercises would you suggest for each area?
I'm doing the 30 day shred and there are some exercises using weights throughout that, but I doubt that is enough on it's own.
I don't have access to a gym and no workout bench but I do have some decent cast iron weights (my boyfriends).
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Shamelessly bumping this for advice!
  • FoodieGal09
    FoodieGal09 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    ^^
    Thanks for the reply, I checked out those links and they were really useful! I'm going to try his beginner circuit when I've finished the shred. Hopefully by then, it won't be too difficult!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Check out the links under "free resources." Lots of good info.
  • Queen2day
    Queen2day Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump :love:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest focusing on compound moments that work more than 1 muscle group at a time. Look into the programs:
    New Rules of Lifting for Women (book with tips and programs)
    Starting Strength (Book with a lot of good info and routine)
    Stronglifts 5x5 (Google it to get into and the workouts)

If you don't know how to do any of the lifts, ask someone and check youtube.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't do strengh training but do zumba and yoga.... I've read you can use your own body weight to train. My legs are muscular and well toned but I need to work on my tummy and arms..and I've never been able to do crunches/sit ups or push ups I'm working on the beginner ones (standing and using wall or table)
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    Any strength training is good, as long as you are doing it safely. I would highly recommend at the least that you are doing some strength/resistance training using your own body weight (that way you don't have to spend a lot of money on equipment).

Planking
    Pushups
    Dips
    Squats
    Lunges
    Leg Raises

Buy a couple of dumb bells (usually about $1 per pound at sports stores) and you can add in all kinds of exercises, sush as:

Bicep curls
    Tricep extensions
    Butterflies
    bench
    incline bench
    arm raises
    and so on

The key is to do them safely and correctly, so please do a quick google on exercises before starting them for the first time, even if you think you already know how to do them. Also a very general rule of thumb to keep in mind is: Low weight + high repetition = toned muscles. High weight + repetition to fatigue = increased muscle mass.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Strength training would impede your weight loss but it may slow it down a little. The advantage is you will maintain lean muscle mass and lose primarily fat. One of the things that happens with eating a deficit and/ or aiding that with cardio is that approimately 20% to 25% of the loss is lean muscle mass. Strength Training helps preserve this muscle mass.

I wold highly recommed as a begininer that you find I program you like and stick with it for awhile to see results. Below are a few suggestions:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5 (very verbose website but great iPhone app for tracking and very effective program)
    New Rules for Lifting
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Strength training would impede your weight loss but it may slow it down a little. The advantage is you will maintain lean muscle mass and lose primarily fat. One of the things that happens with eating a deficit and/ or aiding that with cardio is that approimately 20% to 25% of the loss is lean muscle mass. Strength Training helps preserve this muscle mass.

I wold highly recommed as a begininer that you find I program you like and stick with it for awhile to see results. Below are a few suggestions:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5 (very verbose website but great iPhone app for tracking and very effective program)
    New Rules for Lifting

Strength training would not impede your weight loss if your deficit is the same. Weight loss comes down to deficit. There will most likely be some water retention when starting out to protect the muscles and aid in recovery, but once you are use to the workout your muscle will shed most of that water.

You are correct about retaining lean mass as you lose fat. Strength training is great for ensuring most of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of lean muscle.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

I've been doing a good amount of lifting the last 6 months. But I'm going to try the circuit routine in your link. Looks like a challenge. Thanks for posting it.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Bump
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    google Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer... I haven't followed it to a T, but it got me headed in the right direction anyhow!
  • Bordelinski
    Options
    Not sure if its great but I use fitness mags to check out new strength routines. Some are for the more nimble but sometimes their wrbsites keep archives of the older, less challenging ones. I personally like SELF.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Protip:

Dont take lifting advice from magazines.
    They want you to fail and buy supplements in the belief that youll look better.
    Dont listen to Dr. OZ.
    Hes paid by supplement companies to sell you on ideas like Raspberry Ketones????

Do read New Rules of Lifting For Women.
    Do read The Stronglifts Report.

Both will skyrocket your success.
    Both are very easy to get into.