tricks for happy hour? Help!

Options
All:

I had a work happy hour last night. I knew I was going to have some wine so I made allowances for that but then there was tons of food around and no healthy options. I didn't go "nuts" but even having a few wings and onion rings blew my calories for the day.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle these situations? I probably should have had a healthy snack before going but I wasn't hungry then.

thoughts?

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    How often do you have to go?
    Once a week? Once a month? Once a quarter?
    How long do you have to be there? (how many hours)
    Do you have to drink? (I mean, personal choice, not like it's required by the boss.)
  • crystal3000
    Options
    It's ok don't panic....You are correct when you said you should've had a snack before you went. However if your not hungry before you get to the event drink water before you go and after your wine because it fills you up a bit. Also try to find a distraction like talking to someone who isn't eating, or get a breath of fresh air to regroup and when you go back you are so overwhelm with all the unhealthy choices of food.....However Having a wing or 2 is ok just do a little extra working out the next day to make up for your small splurge....:-)

Good Luck!!! No worries we all have been through that before.
    I hope this helps a little......
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you aren't going everyday- why not splurge every now and then? You deserve it! And what better to spend it than over a glass of wine!

If its more of an often occurance, I'd have a healthy side salad (light dressing, no cheese, etc).

Chips and salsa might be a good bet- but be sure to measure out your chips first, otherwise, I can't stop!::laugh:

Other ideas: split a meal, drink lots of water, order specifically to your preference (cheese/sauce on side, grilled not fried, sub salad, etc.)

Don't feel bad about happy hour splurging! It keeps the office moral up!:flowerforyou:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've got very similar circumstaces coming up soon. I'm tavelling all expenses free for 2 trips and the food and drinks are abundant. I would like to live it up a couple nights, but am gonna blow it-and I'm on a very good clean eats plan right now. Help!
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    Drink so much that you don't care! Calories? What calories!:laugh: J/K!

Enjoy yourself, just not everyday!
  • hmo4
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: So in other words your saying, if you're gonna do it, do it right!:drinker:
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've got very similar circumstaces coming up soon. I'm tavelling all expenses free for 2 trips and the food and drinks are abundant. I would like to live it up a couple nights, but am gonna blow it-and I'm on a very good clean eats plan right now. Help!
    I went to an all inclusive this summer and was sure I'd gain weight. All you can eat food and drinks! However, I really stayed active with all of the events they offered so I burned calories all day long. I actually lost weight while I was there. I watched my portion sizes but I still had some desserts and drank plenty. You can do it!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options

ha ha.. this is me on a friday night!! :tongue:
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: So in other words your saying, if you're gonna do it, do it right!:drinker:

That's what works for me!:drinker:
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    Some restaurants might have fruit in the back they can bring you. If I don't see any side of fruit on the menu but I know it's on the kids menu I'll ask them to bring me the portion and if they have to charge an adult price to go ahead. It's worth more to me to eat something healthy instead of eating all of the happy hour munchies and regreating it the next day!

But don't forget to live a little!
  • trahpeg
    trahpeg Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Maybe set a different goal for the trip-set your goal at no weight gain and try to maintain. That way, you will still feel good about what you have accomplished and have fun at the same time. Feeling like you are in denial, at least for me anyway, sometimes leads to overdoing it.
    Enjoy!
  • hmo4
    Options
    Ok, guys, I'll think of you to keep me focused. As for the Happy Hour, I would just order something healthy and have 1 drink. I'm not a happy hour person anymore, but once in a while, have some fun too. Easy for me to say.....:drinker:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ok, guys, I'll think of you to keep me focused. As for the Happy Hour, I would just order something healthy and have 1 drink. I'm not a happy hour person anymore, but once in a while, have some fun too. Easy for me to say.....:drinker:

I think you should enjoy yourself and take it day by day. If you want to eat dessert share it with someone or cut it in half and only eat half. Have fun and don't stress over food you will surprise yourself I bet.
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    chew a peice of gum or a mint in between drinks....always helps to keep my mind off of eating too much then i can eat what i want when i go home after.
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    and drink some club soda, or a diet coke with a lime to keep your mouth busy especially when everyone else is eating and drinking too. say that you will drive so you dont drink too much...that susually works for me (i have been doing that a lot lately and it has really helped my eating/drinking habits)

dont let yourself get crazy but it is always good to keep it all in the back of your head.