Counting Calories Does NOT work for me mentally

Options
I have been struggling with my weight for a few years now. I started off with Weight Watchers and I did very well back in 2010 until I thought I could save money by doing it on my own, and I fell off the wagon. Since then I found MFP on my phone. It was great at first, but I was not really dedicated to it. I was annoyed by the fact that I had to count calories, but I loved the fact that it's free, I made lots of friends, and I could keep track of my nutrition. I've never really been faithful to this site, but trying very hard to eat under my calorie goal. I admit, I am an overeater, I do this a lot!

There is something about WW. the fact that I get to reward myself each week by getting extra points makes me want to follow it. the fact that I have 5 free fruits/veggie servings per day that I get to eat motivates me into thinking that I will be healthier. Do I sound crazy that I'd rather spend money and enter foods into a database based on four things (carb, fat, protein, fiber) rather than one thing on here for free (calories)?

I don't want to leave mfp, but my lack of motivation by having to count calories is really something I need to change. I love this site, I love my friends, but I think that WW really does work for me. I feel it's the only thing that works for me. Anyone else feel this way or is this just crazy old me being silly?

Just wanting some opinions, suggestions, etc

I have about 90 lbs to lose and keep off.

Replies

• atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really feel that when it's time you will stick to what works for you. This is my first time trying MFP and I make it work because I have to for health reasons(PCOS). But if I had never received that diagnosis I would never have started this. It's sad to admit it but it's true. For me, timing has been everything.
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I really feel that when it's time you will stick to what works for you. This is my first time trying MFP and I make it work because I have to for health reasons(PCOS). But if I had never received that diagnosis I would never have started this. It's sad to admit it but it's true. For me, timing has been everything.

Im glad you are here making better changes for your health. I hate the way I look., feel and the health issues I am beginning to have. I think that i am really stressing myself out so much about weight loss that its making me feel like I will never get there. You may be right, hopefully I will find what I love and stick to it. Good luck to you. I hear this site works wonders for those who really stick to it, I just lack the motivation to do it on here for some reason
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think we should all do what works for us, personally. If it's WW for you, then so be it. :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The goal is to find a way of life that helps you reach and maintain your healthy weight. If WW works better for you, you should do that. I use this site to help me be mindful of what i"m putting in my mouth! Calorie counting helps me, but it could be a hinderance to others. Do what works for you! The goal is a healthier body weight and a HEALTHY path to getting there!!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If that is what works for you - do it. Everyone is different and the bottom line is, you need to find what works for you and stick to it.
  • stardivap413
    Options
    The goal is to find a way of life that helps you reach and maintain your healthy weight. If WW works better for you, you should do that. I use this site to help me be mindful of what i"m putting in my mouth! Calorie counting helps me, but it could be a hinderance to others. Do what works for you! The goal is a healthier body weight and a HEALTHY path to getting there!!

That makes me feel better! thank you
  • stardivap413
    Options
    If that is what works for you - do it. Everyone is different and the bottom line is, you need to find what works for you and stick to it.

You are right! Thank you for your kind words
  • wingsandgills
    wingsandgills Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There are many folks who lose weight successfully without counting calories. It's all about what works for you. I need the structure and tracking calories throughout the day really helps! But to others it'll feel tedious and taxing. There is no one single right way, and you simply have to do what feels right!

Weight Watchers is a great program. Doctors generally love it for their patients seeking weight loss, which is more than you can say for most of the programs out there. You get structure without the tedious number crunching. I recommend doing the program for real and going to the weekly meetings. They generally don't result in mind-blowing epiphanies, but the act of taking an hour out of your week to focus on your health goals, to discuss obstacles and how to overcome them, and to celebrate your successes, is actually immensely helpful.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that! I came from the old WW plan and had to tweak my settings a little because of that whole weekly allowance points thing (we didn't have free fruits then, just mostly free veggies). Even now, a year after joining MFP, I have my calorie goal set lower than it should be so that I have some wiggle room. My BMR is 1500 but my daily calories are set at 1400. That way if I go over a little, it still shouldn't effect my weight loss.

Maybe what you could do is set your weight loss goal to 2 pounds per week to give you the maximum calorie deficit and then try to hit that goal as often as you can but know that if you go over a few hundred with fruit that it won't be a huge deal. You may lose more like 1 pound a week that way but as long as the scale is moving in the right direction, that's all that really matters.
  • lovelynn99
    lovelynn99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers too! I had trouble with it. I have lost more than on here than I lost on Weight Watchers. I lost a total of 2.5lbs in 4 months. I have lost 4lbs on here! I really like how I can take it everywhere! So push yourself to do what you know it right!!

Don't stop I believe in you!
    John 3:16
    Shelby Rogers
  • stardivap413
    Options
    There are many folks who lose weight successfully without counting calories. It's all about what works for you. I need the structure and tracking calories throughout the day really helps! But to others it'll feel tedious and taxing. There is no one single right way, and you simply have to do what feels right!

Weight Watchers is a great program. Doctors generally love it for their patients seeking weight loss, which is more than you can say for most of the programs out there. You get structure without the tedious number crunching. I recommend doing the program for real and going to the weekly meetings. They generally don't result in mind-blowing epiphanies, but the act of taking an hour out of your week to focus on your health goals, to discuss obstacles and how to overcome them, and to celebrate your successes, is actually immensely helpful.

You are the best. You are right, actually going to meetings might help me to focus on me and my goals. Thank you sooo much!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    So you don't like the actual calorie counting or the restriction of calories? You say that you like WW's because you can have all the fruits/veggies you want. Try eating all the veggies you want. Add fruit to your diet. There are no food restrictions on MFP. You said that WW allows for a treat if you have extra points. Give yourself a treat once a week! It wont hurt you! If you want a daily treat or a snack after dinner, make sure you exercise daily so you have extra calories ( just like points!) to fit in a snack. YOU can do this, you want to! Believe in yourself girl!
  • stardivap413
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers too! I had trouble with it. I have lost more than on here than I lost on Weight Watchers. I lost a total of 2.5lbs in 4 months. I have lost 4lbs on here! I really like how I can take it everywhere! So push yourself to do what you know it right!!

Don't stop I believe in you!
    John 3:16
    Shelby Rogers

Thank you Shelby!!! I needed that encouragement. I was just so down about it! Now I'm feeling better.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If WW works for you then go with it, that doesn't mean you have to leave MFP. You can still use the site for motivation, keep in touch with the friends you've made and track your exercise.
    I will say, you're able to track Fat, Carbs, Fiber & Protein on here as well. I did WW once and basically their points system breaks down to 1 point for every 100 or so calories. Of course some fruits and veggies are 0 points, but just because WW considers them to be 0 does not mean the calories from them don't add up.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts... go with what works for you!

I'm a bit opposite from you.... I use MFP to count caloires, but go to the WW meetings for support and accountibility. I've been doing WW for 8 years now and it helped me to lose over 100 pounds, but I find maintaining is easier when I count calories. This is what works for me, so I do it.

Find some balance and what works for you. You can still use this site for support and motiviation and use the WW program for the food aspect. :flowerforyou:
  • idlose
    idlose Posts: 16
    Options
    the reason that this works for me, is because with WW you just add points and there are many packaged WW foods where you just have to look at the points on the label and log it without actually having to look at the content for a smarter choice. on here you dont only track calories, i track all things...esp carbs. it teaches you to learn your foods and not eat pre packaged food. I do really like WW, and i think it is fantastic...but for each person it is really going to depend on where your mind set is. as with any weight loss, there are pre packaged foods, and ways to track them. you just have to find what works for you. at least you are using WW or MFP to do it and not eat all the foods pre made for you, because then you never learn how to make the right choices and once you go off those food programs, you will prob gain it back. anyhow, good luck!! just find your motivation and commit!!
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I quit WW a few months ago and totally love MFP. However, if WW works for you, then go for it!

Just remember that, except for water, nothing is really "free." The purpose of the zero points+ for fruits and vegetables is to encourage you to eat more of them as opposed to less healthy choices. The "free points" is for ONE serving. A banana may be zero points, but if you eat 2, 3 or 5 of them, you do need to factor in those points.

Good luck on whatever path you choose to get to a healthy weight!
  • stardivap413
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that! I came from the old WW plan and had to tweak my settings a little because of that whole weekly allowance points thing (we didn't have free fruits then, just mostly free veggies). Even now, a year after joining MFP, I have my calorie goal set lower than it should be so that I have some wiggle room. My BMR is 1500 but my daily calories are set at 1400. That way if I go over a little, it still shouldn't effect my weight loss.

Maybe what you could do is set your weight loss goal to 2 pounds per week to give you the maximum calorie deficit and then try to hit that goal as often as you can but know that if you go over a few hundred with fruit that it won't be a huge deal. You may lose more like 1 pound a week that way but as long as the scale is moving in the right direction, that's all that really matters.

I did not think about that. how would I be able to change those settings?
  • Brittfig08
    Options
    Do what works for you! I have a coworker doing both, and the funny things is by the time she tracks on both, her point value for WW equates to what her calorie target is on MFP. So it's not about which tool, but which tool works for you and you'll continue to use!
    Good luck in your journey, after losing 10lbs i fell off the wagon and am trying to get back on track!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    WW works for a lot of people, and the concepts behind their program are nutritionally sound. If you have the money to spend and you like it - I say go for it. The key to success on any program is honesty (with yourself) about your activity level and what you put in your mouth and commitment.