One excellent health food.....

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
If you could suggest the best health food you've found since you've started, what would it be and why? I've heard a lot of people talk about flaxseed, not really sure what it does, and also omega 3 fish oil supplements (which I've learned they have great benefits), but what do you suggest? I mean we are all here to learn, so please share some of your knowledge!!
Thanks!!
:heart: ang

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Ben & Jerry's Cinnamon Bun Ice Cream
  • angbieb
    Options

Nice...that is an excellent health food for contributing to weight loss! lol!!:laugh:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal & broccoli are 2 of my go-to "power" foods. Oatmeal keeps me full a really long time, and I'm trying to get more whole grain in general to help reduce my borderline cholesterol.

Broccoli & other veggies are my fillers when I'm trying to resist something else. Like Saturday we grilled turkey hot-dogs, and baked some fries for the kids, and then had steamed broccoli & baby carrots. So I had 2 dogs in lite buns, but NO fries b/c I could munch on as much broccoli & carrots as I wanted instead.

I'm a big fan of "all things in moderation" - even ice cream. :)
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Broccoli.

Nutrient dense and filling.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Nice...that is an excellent health food for contributing to weight loss! lol!!:laugh:

Didn't seem to hurt my weight loss
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'd say spinach, broccoli, and salmon are my go to healthy foods.

I also do oatmeal on work days. I'm not into the supplements, I'd rather eat my nutrients. Also green tea, which I have at least 5 days a week. Not the fancy green tea, just Bigelow tea bags.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The fruit in my smoothies, either blueberries or raspberries (frozen). I've noticed a big change in my skin since I've been making it a point to have a smoothie, nearly every day.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Asparagus.

and almond milk instead of regular milk.

and fish - i hate fish but have started adding Cod to my diet. Just to add a different protein.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cheese. MMMMMMM. and PB2 + apples.....
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!!
    The kind I've been buying (Better Oats Good n Hearty classic) is nice whole oats with flax seeds. I do half milk half water and it's sooooo good and creamy and filling.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I second the oatmeal! I love that it's a blank canvas for any flavors i wish to add. I could eat it for 7 days straight and not have the same flavor once.

Also, greek yogurt.
  • angbieb
    Options
    Yep, love brocolli! Great for you! I've just discovered something yummy...Quaker Oatmeal Pancake Mix-whole grain...had it for breakfast and I highly recommend it! I had it with one serving of Hungry Jack sugar-free syrup. I misread the serving for the pancakes though :grumble: it read 1/3 cup pancake mix, and under that it said two pancakes; so I made two pancakes 1/3 cup each, but your suppose to make both pancakes with just the 1/3 cup, so I ended up having two servings (ugh! hope that made sense ha!).
  • ttnozawa
    ttnozawa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started eating butternut squash! Never though I would like it but it has become a weekly staple in my diet. Also, doing the shiritaki noodle thing now. It took a little to get used to the texture but now I am 100% on board and have not have eaten normal pasta in almost 6 months.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm also a huge fan of rice, and in the last few years, I've learned I really do like Brown rice. It has to be prepared right though. If it's too firm, or too mushy, it's just gross. There are so many convenience brands now that it's a lot easier to get it right when I make it at home.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    tilapia, greek yogurt, eggs
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Spank you, helpy helperton. First 7-Up cake, now ice cream...you should use Snickers next, they're awesome.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, brown rice, shrimp, greek yogurt & oatmeal are all in my diet fairly regular now and I didn't eat them at all 2 years ago.

I just tried peanut butter cherios yesterday and WOW were they delicious. It's like peanut butter captain crunch but not as sweet (plus it's whole grain). YUM!
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    If you could suggest the best health food you've found since you've started, what would it be and why? I've heard a lot of people talk about flaxseed, not really sure what it does, and also omega 3 fish oil supplements (which I've learned they have great benefits), but what do you suggest? I mean we are all here to learn, so please share some of your knowledge!!
    Thanks!!

Peanut butter..the no added sugar one. YUMMMM...on toast/rice cakes/oatcakes or added to protein shakes or used as a choc spread by adding to protein powder! yummmmy xxx
  • kathy499
    kathy499 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    PB2 regular and chocolate flavored with apples, apple cider vinegar and real lemon juice shot in the morning
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Lots of home ade soups with lentils, split peas or barley