Is having surgery to lose weight hard work?

Options

Replies

• TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Most of the people I know who have had the surgery are miserable. They hate the skin and most of them are smaller than they wanted to be and they have been struggling to gain weight.

Personally, I would only do the surgery if I weighed too much to excercise.

I have noticed that most of my friends who have had the surgey haven't changed their eating habits, they just eat less because their stomachs can't hold as much food, but they are still eating the same foods that they ate before, some of them actually eat worse than they ate before because they know they can't consume as much.

I have two good friends who were in and out of the hospital (after bypass) with kidney and liver and pancreas issue.

Surgery isn't a guarantee (as I also have a friend who put much of the weight back on years after the initial surgery); it isn't an easy fix (there can be many complications and medical issues such as malnutrition and other consequences as a result of the surgery); and it doesn't mean that you won't continue to struggle.

Getting over food "issues" and body image "issues" and learning to incorporate excercise into a daily rountine is the first step. Don't expect miracles, expect life changes (and the miracles may come...LOL). In any event, I am realistic about my weight loss expectations. Right now I do not have any medical issues or complications that prevent me from excercising and eating right. So I am trying my darndest to be disciplined. And I am far from a skinny minnie (very far). But I don't want to take the surgey route unless I find myself in a position where my quality (and quantity) of life is greatly affected by my weight. Right now, it isn't.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have friends who've had/are having great success (like Robyn! :drinker: ), a friend who's had mediocre success, and a friend who died from complications. :frown:

The people who have great success work their *kitten* off. And they're people who've legitimately tried every traditional weight loss method. And it's ain't easy.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It is definitely hard work! My mom had gastric bypass surgery and lost a whole lot of weight. Unfortunately she put most of it back on. I think its harder in the fact that it is such a drastic change instead of a gradual one.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Due to complications from the surgery, I gained almost 100 lbs back.
    I'm not being rude. Did the surgery cause you to gain the weight back or was it your eating that caused you to gain the weight back?

Combination of the two. I developed a pocket in my digestive track and my body started trying to digest everything above my band, when my doctor put in a new band he would not tighten it until the pocket disappeared. However, my body was used to surviving off of less than 600 cal per day, with the new band and larger opening, I was eating between 1200 and 1500 calories a day, my body didn't know how to use the extra caloris, so here came the weight.
  • tammyopolin
    tammyopolin Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    People who have bypass or lap band surgery have to work just as hard to lose weight. Especially with the lap band. It's a tool. It will help you lose weight, but if the person doesn't change their eating and exercising habits, it won't do anything. Like someone mentioned, it is possible to eat around the restrictions of the lap band. Going through surgery and overhauling your entire lifestyle isn't "the easy way out". If someone took the steps to lose weight, get themselves healthy and change their life for the better, does it really matter which tools they used to do it? Applaud their effort and hard work, don't belittle them because you don't agree with their method.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I would say I have worked just as hard post-op as I did pre-op. My reason for the surgery wasn't just about the weight (at 290 lbs, I was on the lower end of even being heavy enough) but also because of a genetic predisposition of insulin resistance related to PCOS. There have successes in regulating insulin through the bypass surgery that yes, is a result of wt. loss but also there are theories that it has to deal with the nerves being cut (or something along those lines)

Pre-op I was always extremely active and did make extreme efforts to keep a balanced, healthy diet.

Now for maintenance it IS easier post-op as compared to weight loss pre-op, but that is largely due to the fact that certain hormonal levels have balanced out and now I can normally work with my body rather than constantly battling my syndrome. I feel now I can follow the rules and the numbers and they WORK. I've also gotten to a point where you would not know from the way I eat that I had surgery. I have normal (and by normal I mean the amount someone should be eating) portions and appetites. I can drink with a meal. I see these as a blessing because I generally feel like I have a normal, healthy life now that I didn't have before. For many people this is the curse because if they didn't develop good habits pre-op they can fall back into wt. gain easily.

The downside: With everything else balancing out so well, my GLP-1 spiked and I have episodes of hypoglycemia if I go overboard on simple CHOs w/o combining them with fat and protein. Taking the vitamins is a MUST and a lot of people eventually let this go by the wayside. I always need to be careful about alcohol as it hits much more quickly. But that just makes my bar tab cheaper ;)

4 years this May, 120 lbs lost, no regain, still working towards my 'ideal' weight but happy to be putting in the work towards it and maintaining all losses.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    People who have bypass or lap band surgery have to work just as hard to lose weight. Especially with the lap band. It's a tool. It will help you lose weight, but if the person doesn't change their eating and exercising habits, it won't do anything. Like someone mentioned, it is possible to eat around the restrictions of the lap band. Going through surgery and overhauling your entire lifestyle isn't "the easy way out". If someone took the steps to lose weight, get themselves healthy and change their life for the better, does it really matter which tools they used to do it? Applaud their effort and hard work, don't belittle them because you don't agree with their method.

I am sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone, I am not trying to belittle their efforts. I am just trying to learn more.
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My opinion; it's a cop-out, an easier way out. No different than someone taking steroids to gain muscle. Not to mention the potential life altering complications of surgery even death.

I totally agree.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my mother had the RNY done over 10 years ago, and while she has gained and lost and gained over the years she has never qualified as obese again and I hope for the sake of her health never does. The gastric bypass has been around for over 30 years, the sleeve and lapband, not as long so the longevity research isn't as complete, but they all work. The key is finding which is the best fit for the needs of the person seeking surgery. it is not the answer for every person just because they are overweight, but some people do not simply lose weight by following the rules. Diabetics, people like the previous poster who are insulin resistant due to PCOS, people with hypercholesterolemia, they all struggle to lose weight because their body doesn't cooperate. They can do everything right and where a normal person may lose 10 pounds they lose a fraction if anything at all.

Yes, almost anyone can lose weight and many doctors require them to before performing the surgery but it's not like winning the weight loss lottery. Diet and exercise will always play a part in reaching their goal and keeping the weight off. to say that it's a copout or compare it to using steroids is like saying it's a copout to put a cast on a broken bone. If changing someone's digestive track allows them to stop taking insulin, cholesterol meds, and god knows what else medication they may take and save kidney and liver functions while also helping them lose weight to prolong life and strain on the heart; I'd say good for them! If they become one of the minority that gained an unhealthy amount of weight back I would still be supportive because whether you lost the weight with surgery, diet drinks, calorie counting, or exercise alone you did a good thing for your body and you're more likely to get back on track with support than shame or criticism.
  • tcmay72
    tcmay72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Still hard work! I had the lap band last aug. instead of just feeling guilty for over eating you will feel a physical reminder. It is a tool not a cure. It has helped me stick to this new eating life style. In the past i would have already given up. I knew the lap band would be more work on my part, than traditinal gastric bypass, but it was the right choice for me:0) Good luck the biggest thing learned for me has been how quikly i ate, not no more slow and chew chew chew is my new way of dinning.
  • HeatherNicoleMomOf4
    Options
    my husband had it done and it was a yr process .They had him take all kinds of test medical,mentally & physical,they had us going to tons of classes and he had to do a 6 month exercise and health diet before the surgery plus been on bars ,shakes and soups for 6 wks nothing else before the surgery. He couldnt eat solid foods for almost 2 months and he was in so much pain .he's been doing great on it and still dieting and watching what he eats some stuff upsets his stomach and he cant handle it but hes only able to eat as much as the kids do if that .my mil had the same surgery over 12 yrs ago and shes gained alot of weight back.hes lost over 150lbs
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My opinion; it's a cop-out, an easier way out. No different than someone taking steroids to gain muscle. Not to mention the potential life altering complications of surgery even death.

Thanks for your opinion I guess.

I had lap and surgery 11/4/10, I have lost 160lbs so far, lots more to go.

I guess I copped out, but felt it was my only hope.

The cop out saved my life!!!
  • polynesianbaby
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here but felt it necessary to post to this topic.

I had the lapband back in 2010 and lost about 60lbs in the first year but then gained back almost 20lbs and I am almost at 2 and a half years out. The doctor said that some people get the lapband or gastric bypass and they lose weight fast but then, if your eating habits haven't really changed, you gain it back again.

I am on this site now to gain back my progress on weightloss and I am doing this for my children as much as myself. I need to be more active and I know that with the help of this community, I can do that.

The surgery isn't an easy way out. It's just a tool to get you started. It's up to you to make it work and that's what I plan to do! :-)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    One of my BFF's mom and dad both got WLS last summer, and I have watched both drop tremendous amounts of weight, but I know it has been a lot of hard work for them to lose weight, maintain the loss and adjust to life after surgery (portions, etc). I definitely don't think that it's for everyone, and I think there are as many people that get the surgery for the right reasons as there are people who get it for the wrong reasons. I know that her mom has spent her whole life battling her weight with no real success, which is when she decided to look into WLS. I know she doesn't regret it, but I know it also hasn't been the "easy way out" by any means.
    I would think that having lap band or gastric bypass would be harder work than just diet and exercise, because of the extreme ramifications and risks involved with the surgery itself, and what happens if you disregard lifestyle changes and continue poor eating habits and lack of exercise.
  • julesga
    julesga Posts: 17 Member
    Options

If you haven't walked a mile in someone's shoes..... You have no idea what you are talking about.
  • liftandcycle
    Options

I totally agree.

I agree as well...
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 10 years ago. I initially lost 135 lbs., needed to lose another 40 but never did. I've regained some and now need to lose about 70 lbs, but I'm still down 100 from where I started. I can eat anything and everything again now; couldn't for the first couple of years. I can't eat the volume of food that I used to be able to consume, but I can eat close to a normal portion size now. You'd never guess I'd had the surgery by seeing what I eat or how much I eat. But while I don't eat the amounts I used to, I still need to watch what I eat, I need to exercise more than I do, I need to do everything someone without surgery needs to do.

I was able to get off all medications within 6 weeks of surgery, diabetic tendencies disappeared and have not returned even while I was close to my highest weight. I did it because of those issues and severe back pain, shortness of breath, and inability to walk much more than 2 blocks. All are resolved now.

Surgery got me to a weight that helped resolve some health issues. It didn't get me to my ideal weight and I have to do that myself just like everyone else around here. It was worth it to me to get off the meds and to feel so much better even though I still have to fight for weight loss. It's not as magic as everyone thinks it is....
  • mendez2011
    Options
    Everyones opinions are different. I had the VSG, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, done on December 19, 2011. It was painful the first few days, then the adjustment to the way of eating, the portion sizes and just getting the mindset, "when i eat, I need to eat protein items". Basically the same as when you are dieting but the new sleeve keeps the portions to a minimum. I had started with a goal of 74 lbs to lose, I am currently at a loss of 53 lbs and feeling great. It is a new way of life, a new way of thinking and a new way of eating. I myself would do it again and have had no major issues with my new sleeve. Some may say its the "easier" way, but then, they havent been in my shoes or know what its all about. Again, everyone has different opinions and mine is that if you have tried all the other options and/or have health issues, I fully recommend the VSG.
  • mendez2011
    Options
    My sediments exactly! If you havent walked in someones shoes, you have no room to judge!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, the pre-surgery flaming hoops that patients have to jump through requires more commitment than most people are willing to put into weight loss. If commitment and willpower alone was enough, they wouldn't need the surgery.

While I'm sure there's some people out there getting WLS that shouldn't, the majority get it because it really is a last resort. Calling it a copout is like saying I'm taking the easy way out by wearing contacts or glasses instead of squinting to see better. Or that those silly diabetics should just learn to make their pancreas function better so they don't need insulin.