The sexy Chinese food guy

Options
Hey everyone, so I'm here again. Lets not go there though.

So I went to Chinese food the other night with my family, my mum was buying because I had slaved in her hoarder house for the entire day trying to help the woman who probably needs medication for her hording problem. So I was excited, mmmm, Chinese, good Chinese too not the crappy stuff you get at these chain places. SO we walk in and ahhhh, it's not busy, even better, I walk up to the counter to wait for a table, I'm holding my 3 year old daughter and I see the Sexy Chinese waiter coming to seat us. I smile...I'm excited, and I'm nice...right.

Sexy Chinese Waiter (who is equivalent to Robert Patterson just all the sexier for his ethnicity), did not smile back, or nod his head, or say a word...he arched one delicately shaped eyebrow at me. SLAM. It was a like the arch of an arrow with a message tied to it for the enemy..."What are you smiling at Troll?"

I'm hurt and confused. Was I just way too excited about Chinese food? Is he too used to overweight American girls ogling him (even though I was not!)? But here it is, the eyebrow-arrow launches me into my inner monologue....

'He thinks I'm fat. I am fat. Why don't I do something about this? Why can't I do something about this and stick WITH IT? Am I that hideous that the Chinese food waiter gets to cut me down because I smiled at him? I should be ashamed of myself.'

It's like two days later but damn it if that eyebrow has not burned itself into my retinas. The things about dieting is, I'm Hungry. I mean, yeah I have that whole food for comfort thing and truly I'm a cupcake-eating-quitter at heart, but is there hope? Can people really change?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Some Asian cultures think it is rude to smile at strangers. Cut him a break. He didn't know you, probably wasn't judging.
  • heatherlee33
    heatherlee33 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think Sexy Chinese Waiter needs a break. I think he's probably raking in the tail, as well as the tips. What I'm really worried about though is change. Thanks for the post though. I'm so glad that there's somebody listening! I feel pretty alone in my tight size 14s.
  • omgwtfMindyloo
    omgwtfMindyloo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had some fun times with Sexy Japanese Waiters. And that was when I was a size 20, if that matters at all.

If he was being judgey than be-gone with him. This world is full of Sexy Waiters (and individuals with other jobs). Many of whom are sure to appreciate your charms.

Perhaps he was a Sexy-Yet-Awkward Chinese Waiter, and was trying out his "come hither" look with you, and missed his mark?
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Some Asian cultures think it is rude to smile at strangers. Cut him a break. He didn't know you, probably wasn't judging.

cmriverside is right. Eye contact and smiling are not usual habits Asians have for strangers. They may adopt these practices if they become acclimated with American culture, but it is not inherit for us.
  • jenniferpowell1980
    jenniferpowell1980 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Maybe he was having as bad day and it had nothing to do with you at all, or maybe he isnt a nice person, or maybe..........the list goes on, i wouldnt worry about things that might not exsist! You are gorgeous and any man would be lucky to have you smile at them. xx
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    That's how you know you're in a good chinese resturant. The waiters are rude! lmao.

Nice to see us asians getting a 2nd look from the women.
  • heatherlee33
    Options
    Thanks everyone! SO tell me, because this is probably my biggest fault. What do you do to not eat? I mean, I eat meals and do okay, but I'm a grazer. I'm bored. I eat. I'm watching tv. I eat. Please don't tell me to go for a walk, I would be walking all day long! Plus I live in Utah, it's freaking cold in Utah people! I need like a five minute-get my head back-will power boosting trick. Anyone got any of those? Seriously you could make some money in America if you do!
  • heatherlee33
    Options
    Yeah, those guys aren't losing any money. Super nice place. Asians are sexy as all get out too! For real, Jet Li, please!?!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I snack on chips. Why do you think we're all here? lol.

I try to sub better though. ie.. air popped popcorn vs potatao chips. Apple or Chobani vs ice cream etc... peanut butter and banana on what toast works well.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! SO tell me, because this is probably my biggest fault. What do you do to not eat? I mean, I eat meals and do okay, but I'm a grazer. I'm bored. I eat. I'm watching tv. I eat. Please don't tell me to go for a walk, I would be walking all day long! Plus I live in Utah, it's freaking cold in Utah people! I need like a five minute-get my head back-will power boosting trick. Anyone got any of those? Seriously you could make some money in America if you do!

I go to bed... and daydream about the sexy Chinese waiter (or in my case, the hotty client from Alaska who comes to town every few weeks and doesn't seem to know I exist and notice that I have drooled on his paperwork....)

Drinking water sometimes helps, gulping a big o' glass of it just so I feel full... But for me, danger time is right after my kid goes to bed and I want to eat the entire house... I either get on the computer and troll Facebook or MFP, or just go to bed.... I am getting caught up on my sleep these days.... LOL

If ya gotta munch, popcorn can be a good option, a whole lot of it has very few calories and can satisfy the crunchy/salty tooth.
    My sweet tooth helper is very dark chocolate, a small piece eaten slowly (or in 2 bites instead of swallowing whole...)

......oh and BTW, what did your fortune cookie say??? ;)
  • jenniferpowell1980
    jenniferpowell1980 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Drinking water sometimes helps, gulping a big o' glass of it just so I feel full... But for me, danger time is right after my kid goes to bed and I want to eat the entire house... I either get on the computer and troll Facebook or MFP, or just go to bed.... I am getting caught up on my sleep these days.... LOL

So can relate to this one, i seemed to have cracked it by taking my laptop to bed, well away from the kitchen, with a large selection of fruit to munch through. The water thing works for me too.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    There are at least 150 reasons why the waiter didn't fling himself at you just because you smiled at him. Here are a few:

-- He's married.
    -- He's in a long-term, committed relationship.
    -- He's a professional and doesn't believe in flirting with customers.
    -- He didn't even recognize what you were doing as flirting.
    -- He doesn't date women with kids.
    -- He doesn't date women at all.
    -- He's not attracted to blondes.
    -- He'd had a bad day and just wasn't in the mood.
    -- He doesn't fling himself at every woman who smiles at him because that would be really, really creepy.

But to answer one of your other questions, it's not about "not eating." You just need to control the number of calories that you eat. Most people here would probably say that they eat a lot when they're on a so-called "diet." If you're not eating calorie-dense crap, you can really get a lot of bang for your calorie buck.

Anyway, don't give up.

Edit: I just read your profile, and need to add another one:

-- He doesn't date married chicks.
  • heatherlee33
    Options
    The fortune cookie was perhaps the biggest bummer of all. It said something like 'good things will happen after you work a lot'. HA! Instant gratification denied!

It should have said something like... Sexy Chinese Waiter wants your number!

Which would have made me feel better!
  • heatherlee33
    Options
    I didn't want the waiter to fling himself at me...truly. I am married also. I was just confused by the hostility. I'm smiling, I'm waiting for a table. I didn't deserve the stick in the eye. The point was, his tiny look, his small arched brow launched me into my self-loathing. Really who cares about Sexy Chinese Waiter, he's just:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: some dude that shovels deep fried goodness at me. The problem is my love affair with deep fried goodness.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Maybe he had a bad day at work?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Most interesting intro thread.

Typical woman though, worrying and thinking way too much.

Welcome to MFP
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

This is from reading your profile, and i'm not putting it to be mean, but to give you things to think about when you need motivation, because it seemed to work when you started your mfp experience:

*think about your little one being so sick with her tummy on your vacation
    *think about your hot husband and how you want him to show you off
    *think about the sweeter than sugar compliments you'll get for your rockin' body!
    *think about all those people who said you couldn't do it!

Then drop and give me 20, march in place for 10 minutes, or do some squats until your urge to munch passes. :flowerforyou: Maybe take up a hobby that keeps your hands busy while you watch tv or whatever-crochet? Embroidery? Then you wouldn't want to get food on your hands because it would mess up your project.

Do you have any special dates coming up to work towards? my anniversary is in 44 days and i've been counting down and busting my hump trying to get healthier for my husband for our anniversary celebration.

You know yourself better than any of us do...think to yourself and make a list of things that really motivate you. Put them in your MFP blog and even write them out and leave them around the house. For me, my profile picture is very motivating. Every time I look at it i'm reminded to work harder! What kinds of things motivate you?

I'm in the Modern Pin Up Girls group and it's really great, I think they have openings right now. Maybe you could join it, or another group for some motivation...also I take part in a daily accountability thread that has really helped me recently! The link is here, if you'd like to join in:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/509727-daily-check-in-spring-2012
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    That's how you know you're in a good chinese resturant. The waiters are rude! lmao.

Nice to see us asians getting a 2nd look from the women.

No kidding. I look forward to eating Chinese at a little family run place down the street because of the hot asian guy there. :blushing: I honestly feel bad for getting excited about going now that I'm married. He's tall, broad shouldered, and I swear he must wear black eyeliner. I forget my order every time he asks.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    GOT IT.

What if you just masturbated instead (while thinking about Jet Li, of course) every time you wanted to get a snack?

Jet Li would never raise his eyebrow at you.
    Jet Li will treat you like a princess no matter what size you are.
    Jet Li is better than that stupid cupcake you want to put in your mouth.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    GOT IT.

What if you just masturbated instead (while thinking about Jet Li, of course) every time you wanted to get a snack?

Jet Li would never raise his eyebrow at you.
    Jet Li will treat you like a princess no matter what size you are.
    Jet Li is better than that stupid cupcake you want to put in your mouth.

Genius!

But would that mean she'd want to do it again after an hour?