In Search of Good Snack Options

Options
I love popcorn, rice cakes with Peanut butter and pita chips and hummus but I find that I overeat each of these (once I get started...I just can't stop eating). Can anyone help with snack options (other than fruit) that won't send me into a binge?!

Replies

• yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I know you probably, want a real snack, but ...

I love baby carrots. They are sweet and crunchy and only 35 calories for 3 oz. I'm eating them right now.

They also take a long time to chew, so it would be hard to overeat them.

I will check back later to get ideas.
  • jchance1975
    Options
    I started using celery for my hummus instead of pita chips. That will save you a few calories. I'm like you, I can eat the entire thing if I don't pay close attention, and even then sometimes. It is a constant struggle.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I do the 100 calorie popcorn bags. Seems like a lot of popcorn for me.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I measure my snack. and put the rest away BEFORE I start eating it.

I've been known to actually throw out (or share) half of a chocolate bar so I CAN'T eat it.
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Veggie Straws...by Sensible Portions 110 calories for 38 straws. OR the Special K chips....110-130 calories for 30 chips. Whole grain toast spread with peanut butter OR Nutella. Raw Almonds. A lot of my snacks turn into mini-meals, so I'm ok with using a few more than 150-200 calories for each "snack" Hope this helps!!! :-)
  • amy0716
    amy0716 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    String Cheese. I have one almost every day for my mid-afternoon snack.
  • sdoldsMD2013
    Options
    I love triscut hint of salt and dannon vanilla yogurt with bear naked granola. :-)
  • happythermia
    Options
    I weigh and measure stuff out, so if I'm eating carrots & hummus and I want more - I have to physically go and weigh out more. LOL that extra time gives my brain time to think - do I really need this?
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Anything crunchy is my kryptonite.

My better choices are:

veggies & hummus
    tuna pack
    greek yogurt
    and lately- rosted chick peas. You get a great crunch, can season them however you want, and its good protein.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Try either buying single serving ite,s or prepackage what you buy into single servings. I find it helps keep me index control. I'm going to eat the whole bag so I make sure it's a small one!
  • KitchenCourses
    Options
    I like to have a small cup of black bean or vegetable soup to fill me up at snack time.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup of chocolate cheerios and 1/2 cup of fat free milk 145 calories
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Same for me. Celery is a great replacement for pita chips (I love the pitas, but too much of a good thing!) I have been snacking on apricots and prunes lately, although you don't want to eat too many of them, especially if you are stuck in rush hour traffic. Peanuts are also good to have.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    my latest favorite snack is a granny smith apple and Jiff peanut butter singles. Yummmy! And the small tub of peanut butter controls my intake!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Make a THICK batch of oatmeal and mix protein powder in it....spread it out onto a cookie sheet and place it in the fridge to cool....when you find you can slice it into bars....ENJOY!! its very easy to make and filling and you can mix whatever you want into it..

Cinnamon
    crushed nuts
    applesauce
    dried fruit....

Or you can use Oatmeal to make homemade granola
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good protein bar. I like the Promax Lower sugar options
  • Monkeymomma05
    Options
    I found that the Newman's Own - Pop's Corn 98% fat free unsalted popcorn with 1 tbsp of melted Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is about 198 calories for 3 cups (which is usually too much for me now) is really filling and the coconut oil is good for you and a little hint of sweetness that I crave at times. I don't like a lot of sweet things now that I have been on the health journey so this is just a bit of sweet. You can also add natural almonds or some rasins to make it more filling too. Hope this helps a little :drinker:
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn, rice cakes with Peanut butter and pita chips and hummus but I find that I overeat each of these (once I get started...I just can't stop eating). Can anyone help with snack options (other than fruit) that won't send me into a binge?!

Heres my good afternoon snack for today..... Ok.... 1/2 Cup lowfat cottage cheese, And...... a bag of bellpeppers (Red, Orange, Yellow) baby carrots, grape tomatos, to dip into that cottage cheese. Yummm. It looks like you like carby snacks. Don't forget about veggies.. Those are good options.... And be gutsy... Pick out a veggie that you've never tried before... You can also use lowfat or nonfat yogurt with lemon and dill in there for a good dip for celery or cucumbers. Sometimes the carby salty snacks can trigger some people into eating a little to much.. I know you said "Not Fruit" but what if you had your Peanut Butter with a apple thinly sliced?
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate made with milk or a milk substitute
    Jicama
    Nuts
    Greek yogurt and fruit
    snap peas

But I agree with the other posters. I just measure out my snack if I am having one. I have fruit or tea 50% of the time
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    low fat mozerella cheese stick, hard boiled egg, dill pickles, whole wheat bread with 1 tbsp peanut butter or 2 tbsp PB2 chocolate, greek yogurt, any fruit, 2 graham crackers, 100 calorie packs, 100 calorie microwave popcorn, hummus on a low carb tortilla, any vegetables, low fat yogurt, skinny cow ice cream treats, ww fudge bar (Aldi has a good one for 100 calories too, Fit and Active Brand Fudge Bars), nuts, trail mix, pop chips, pretzels, laughing cow cheese on low calorie crackers, 1 scoop protein powder (I use Walmart Body Fortress chocolate) with 1 cup skim milk, oolong tea with sweetner (supposed to suppress appetite).

That's all I could think of off hand! Good luck to you!