INTERVAL TRAINING

Options
hmo4
hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
I understand the whole reasoning and concept of Intervals, but for what lengths and time frames do you do it for? I've heard different things. Do you want your HR to be above 85 % for the whole time or just for those sprinting bursts? Please expain or give examples of how to do these 20 min exercise sessions.:drinker: Thanks

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate should be max just for the sprinting portions.

I am no where near as fit as you but here is what I do.

Warm up- 4 minutes

walk 1 minute - run 1 minute (I do this 5 times)

walk 2-3 minutes

Jog 1.5-2 minutes

walk 1 minutes - run 1 minute ( I do this as many more time as I can usu. 1-3)

cool down

On alternate days I do walk/brisk walk instead of run
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I alternate weights, running and calisthenics all in one. Here's an example of one of my 20 minute workouts:

Run 400M (1/4 mile)
    21 push ups
    21 Dumbbell swings
    (this whole revolution is considered 1 round)

I do as many rounds as I can in 20 minutes with no breaks. It's fast but it's extremely high intensity. You can make it less intense by slowing down the running as well. I record my times/rounds and revisit the same workout weeks later to see how much I've improved. Some of my friends started out doing knee push ups (girl push ups) and have since graduated to full push ups!

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    This is what i'v been doing on the elliptical......(is this right??)

45 minutes low intensity
    45 minutes high intensity, level 7 (good for me)

I repeat this for about 15 minutes, when i'm done i'm really sweating!!

does this sound good??
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/4342293#read-more

Kath, I went here for about 30 minutes last night. They have interval workouts for each machine at the gym and for running and walking.

GREAT Ideas and plans................I always need a plan!

:drinker: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/tag/Get+It+Up

this link brings you directly to the plans
  • hmo4
    Options
    Thanks guys-basically it looks like you can do your own thing-just hard! My problem is, after I sprint for a bit, I need to recover by walking. Is that ok?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    This is cool! Thanks for sharing! I may try this and what is a dumbell swing? Like a wood chopping move?
    I alternate weights, running and calisthenics all in one. Here's an example of one of my 20 minute workouts:

Run 400M (1/4 mile)
    21 push ups
    21 Dumbbell swings
    (this whole revolution is considered 1 round)

I do as many rounds as I can in 20 minutes with no breaks. It's fast but it's extremely high intensity. You can make it less intense by slowing down the running as well. I record my times/rounds and revisit the same workout weeks later to see how much I've improved. Some of my friends started out doing knee push ups (girl push ups) and have since graduated to full push ups!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hot mom,

I figure walking is fine. For me it's better than laying prone on the floorl while I try to catch my breath:bigsmile:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    IMO, interval training is just getting the heart rate up more than you would if you were just doing that other exercise.

ex. If I walk 2.5 miles for 40 mins, my heart rate might not pass 140.
    When I wog, or do a week of C25k
    If I walk for 10 mins, jog for 2 mins, walk for 1-2 mins, repeat, my average heart rate will be in 160 burning more calories.

Most people are not at this stage.
    If you can jog, then sprint, and then jog/walk and repeat, of course you will burn more calories.
    Thanks guys-basically it looks like you can do your own thing-just hard! My problem is, after I sprint for a bit, I need to recover by walking. Is that ok?

Of course!
  • hmo4
    Options
    So you get you're HR to what % and let it go down to what % before you'd go hard again?
  • hmo4
    Options
    So you get you're HR to what % and let it go down to what % before you'd go hard again?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

I don't personally look at %. I won't be able to calc % properly so just give you hb/min for myself.
    These #'s might not work with others, but I just go on how I feel.

When I start walking I can be around 100-114 hb/min.
    When jogging, 185 is my max that I've seen on HRM often, and did see 192 one jog.

So when I've stopped jogging and go to a walk, I'm up at 171-182. I'll walk, recover until it gets back down to 140's and jog again..

Hope this helps.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Edited because I already said this. Sorry.

When I worked with the trainer she had my
    HR at 80-90% for 1 minute
    then down to 70% or so

My HRs were
    170 for 1 minute
    140 for 5 min
    120 (while lifting) for a few minute
    then run, jump rope, jumping jacks to get up up again
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    The idea is to work as hard as you can. Dont be restricted by a number. Run as fast as you can, jump rope as fast as you can, full tilt on the ellip or bike............then recover for 2 mins.

The idea is to trick your body so it doesnt adjust to your workout.

At least that is the way the PT explained it to me.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jeannie, I started doing intervals this week and really had no idea if I was doing them right, but I guess I am. I walk for 4 minutes to warm and then jog, walk, jog, walk and so forth for 20 minutes. Then I finish my walk for another 25 minutes.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thanks Jeannie, I started doing intervals this week and really had no idea if I was doing them right, but I guess I am. I walk for 4 minutes to warm and then jog, walk, jog, walk and so forth for 20 minutes. Then I finish my walk for another 25 minutes.

Awesome Amanda!!

Hey that can be your new name!!!:flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    tag to read later :flowerforyou:
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is cool! Thanks for sharing! I may try this and what is a dumbell swing? Like a wood chopping move?

A dumb bell swing is when you hold a dumb bell in your hands (both hands holding onto it) and you squat (plie style) while swinging the dumb bell over your head. Your arms are basically ropes just holding it. Your abs and legs do all the work. It's a good workout. You just need to make sure you squat straight down and do not hunch your shoulders or lean forward. This will injure your back. The starting position would be squatting, dumb bell between legs. Then swing up using abs, causing you to end in standing position. Then just repeat. There is no stopping in between reps.

I have tons of different workouts that I do Monday thru Friday. We change the workout every day to make it fun and shocking to our muscles! :smile:
  • hmo4
    Options

A dumb bell swing is when you hold a dumb bell in your hands (both hands holding onto it) and you squat (plie style) while swinging the dumb bell over your head. Your arms are basically ropes just holding it. Your abs and legs do all the work. It's a good workout. You just need to make sure you squat straight down and do not hunch your shoulders or lean forward. This will injure your back. The starting position would be squatting, dumb bell between legs. Then swing up using abs, causing you to end in standing position. Then just repeat. There is no stopping in between reps.

I have tons of different workouts that I do Monday thru Friday. We change the workout every day to make it fun and shocking to our muscles! :smile:

Thanks guys, I'm doing it right then. Just making sure I'm working out effectively. Do you use Kettlebells often. What weights do you have. 10lbs of KB sure feels heavier than a dumbell.:huh: Jeanie you're a doll.