Healthy Recipes for a Tight Budget?

Options
I have to work with a really, really tight budget and no matter what people say I've found that junk food really is cheaper than healthier options. So my question is, does anyone have any healthy or relatively healthy recipes that won't clean out my wallet? Pictures are welcome! Please and thank you! :)

Replies

• KitchenCourses
    Options
    Buy dried black beans, brown rice, eggs, tortillas, and some veggies.

From this you can create - homemade chili, beans and rice on their own, beans and rice with veggies wrapped into a tortilla, beans in tortillas with veggies on the side, veggie frittata, veggie and egg breakfast burrito, huevos rancheros, black bean soup, roast veggie wraps...
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Fresh bread from a grocery store's bakery section is cheaper than brand name, counter breads
    Fruits and veggies in season, lettuce, frozen veggies like broccoli and peas (don't be afraid to buy generic brands)
    Browse the meat sections and see what's the best deal, check flyers to compare deals going on for meats and cheese
    Buy bulk nuts, seeds, etc.
    Lots of the time the jump in price from 12 eggs to 18 is minimal, same with potatoes (5 lb vs 10 lb)
    Make foods like 1% milk and yogurt a necessity in your mind
    Oatmeal isn't expensive, most stores have awesome deals on breakfast cereals
    Brown rice

ETA: Sorry, these aren't recipes but I figured with being grocery-budget-wise you have as many options as you like
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    In season veggies really are cheap.
    Make your own salad. A head of lettuce, spinach and carrots will only set you back a couple dollars compared to premade salads
    Salad spritzers. They are kinda spendy but with 10 squirts being enough for a whole salad they last a long time.
    Bags of fruit are cheaper than buying individually.
    Frozen bags of veggies. The off brand ones.
    beans, pasta, rice are all staple food things that are cheap and can be made into many different things
    Buy meat in bulk and separate it. Freeze what you won't eat right away.
    Turkey/chicken hot dogs are really easy and though they don't scream healthy they are cheap and not as bad as regular hotdogs.

Basics:
    Buy bulk of what can be frozen
    Make your own food
    shop around
    Fruits and veggies that are in season
    Shop the cheaper grocery stores for most items
    Print out coupons online it may take you 20 minutes but if it saves you 10$ at the store that is $10 more you have.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Rice and beans! There are endless variations and dried beans area cheap. Or lentil or pea soup.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas from people already :smile: I watch the rack for frut/veggies that are sold at a discount because they are older. I buy my bread from the bread store where it's too old to be sold in the store but it is still good, I just toss it in the freezer. I also watch the meat department because meat will be sold as at a discount when it is considered older and again, in the freezer it goes! I use coupons when I can and as others have said, you can buy in bulk which is cheaper. I can say it isn't really that much more expensive to buy healthier foods than processed but it does take some diligence in watching the sales and buying discounted items. I know you can do it!
  • avalonmaiara
    Options
    vegetarian meals! meat is so expensive. chickpea veggie curry with brown rice is a new fave :)
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I buy my chicken breasts and tilapia when they go on a BOGO sale. Also frozen veggies on BOGO sales (using coupons if I have them)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Look around this site: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

She has an amazing list of foods that are insanely cheap to make.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You should make some homeade vegetable soup. It's about $20-25 for all of the ingredients but it will last a good 2 weeks!
  • joannlynne
    Options
    I feed a family of five, two which work out very hard at early ages 11 & 17, I also have a 8 year old that hates to eat her veggies so we juice them, I live near a mexican market which sells their veggies SO MUCH CHEAPER !! So, I buy beggies and fruits at least twice a week so they are fresh, and I buy my meats in bulk if its a good buy, I shop at Winco which really helps my family and Costco, i have a large fam so Costco helps on things like lettuce i get 3 for 2 bux and romaine lettuce is like 7 heads for 3 dollars. Spinach in the large bags about 3 pounds is under 4 dollars, we juice alot now and this really helps..I buy my chicken breast frozen one time a month at costco and it cost about 16 dollars, I cut them butterfly style and only use 3 when i cook its enough because we fill up on lots of veggies and fruits along side :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    try skinnytaste.com

Haven't tried any recipes so far, but I have like 4 already printed out that I am going to try this weekend. I am also on a tight budget.
  • stormy_eyez742
    stormy_eyez742 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Okay before I get too into my post here...Would you like not only recipes but, maybe ideas on how some of us save money gathering the various ingredients? I have a couple hints/tips on savings when it comes to making a lot of our favorite things as well as the recipes. I have a family of 5 and they eat - a lot!

Of course, I'd be happy to just share some of our favorite frugal recipes, if that's what you'd prefer.
  • sugardr0p
    Options
    Okay before I get too into my post here...Would you like not only recipes but, maybe ideas on how some of us save money gathering the various ingredients?

That would be great!
  • sugardr0p
    Options
    So many great suggestions... thank you to all who have replied. :)
  • missfitmt
    missfitmt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe for a surprisingly delicious pasta sauce: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simple-Arrabbiata-Sauce/Detail.aspx
    The ingredients are cheap and you can exchange the fresh basil for dried. And I would like to advice you to only take half the amount of chili flakes :)
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with joannlynne -- find a produce market! The prices at the big grocery store are absolutely staggering. Now between Aldi and our local produce market I don't remember the last time I stepped foot in a big grocery store. Aldi and the market are so much easier to get in and out of too!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like to shop at Aldi for produce and meat and some dairy. They are much cheaper than Walmart or the regular grocery store chain.