Setting up a workout routine is hard!

Options
Can you guys help me and give me some advice? I'm trying to set up a workout routine. I go to the gym every week day morning and usually just do the treadmill and elliptical. I want to do a lot of cardio! I'm trying to slim down my tummy, arms, and thighs. I also try to do abs workouts. I'm just confused on what exercises to do and when I should rest between ab/strength workouts... Any advice? Anyone want to share their workout routine?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are doing any strength training. Did I miss something? There is no reason to do cardio 5x's/week.

My routine, which has proven successful so far is:

Monday - weights, lower body
    Tuesday - cardio, 45 minutes
    Wednesday - weights, upper body
    Thursday - cardio, 45 minutes
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - run outdoors
    Sunday - rest

I do core work every day. Your abs don't need to rest.
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    DestroyTheOpposition Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you can put up the 120.00 bucks... I would buy the Insanity disc set. Its worth it!
  • Hello_kitty96
    Options
    I try to do strength training with the weight machines. I'm just trying to figure out how many raps and sets I should do. I'll have to try something similar to your routine. :)
  • Hello_kitty96
    Options
    I've heard a lot about the insanity disc set.. I really want to try it! I'll have to try to get it...
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I would recommend 3 sets of each exercise.... shoot for 12-15 reps each time. You will know the weight is correct if you struggle to get to 15. If you fly past 15 and could easily keep going, you need to add more weight.
  • BrittanyFordham
    Options
    Check out trainerjosh.com he's got some incredible workout routines and nutrition plans, really easy to follow :)
  • Sweating4Sanity
    Options
    How long do you have to workout? Just for the sake of trying to give you some assistance, I will assume you have 45 minutes 5 days per week. You could try different versions of the following.

Monday: Long cardio day. Warm up for 10 minutes then do 25 minutes of interval training. Interval training will keep you from plateauing in your weight loss and will increase cardio fitness. This looks like doing 1 minute of intense cardio with 2 to 3 minutes of recovery slower cardio followed by another 1 minute all out intense cardio.

On the elliptical this will look like raising your intensity level for the 1 minute interval and then lowering back down for the rest. I wouldn't go lower then about a level 5 for the rest periods.

On the treadmill this can look like walking at an incline at a 3.8 to 4.0 mph with at least a 5% incline (the higher the incline the better!) for your 1 minute intense interval followed by 2 minutes of recovery at 2% grade.

On the treadmill it can also look like 2 minutes of walking at a 3.8 or so followed by a "sprint" (not an all out sprint). I don't know what a spring would look like for you, but it would be about 85% to 90% of your max that you can maintain for 45-seconds to 1 minute.

Tuesday: weights...warm up on treadmill for five minutes then head down to do weights. Start with legs: Leg Curl, Leg Extension, Leg Press. Then move to arms: bicep curl, tricep extension, chest press, Lat pull back. Finish with abs and stretching.

You can look these exercises up online or simply as your gym employee to show you. This is actually your best bet. The employees at the gym can help you with proper form, finding proper lifting ammount etc.....

Good Luck!
    Carrie:smile:
  • Hello_kitty96
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • Hello_kitty96
    Options
    Thanks, Carrie! That was very helpful!