What Do You Spend On Groceries Per Week?

Options

Replies

• glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    $650/mo for a family of four (one kid still using pullups), one dog & one cat... this includes everything (human & pet food, toiletries, medicines etc etc)
  • cngeike
    cngeike Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 6 and spend $500 a month on groceries. I love winco, and safeway. I also coupon shop a lot
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    family of 3 (5 if you the dogs lol) usually 75-100 /week
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm only technically feeding myself, but I do a tremendous amount of baking for others and also cook two meals per week for others. I generally spend about $50/week on groceries.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I buy my own groceries just for me, about 80 dollars a fortnight
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow I have been needing to budget better so bumping this to read thropugh for later!
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    COUPON.
    COUPON COUPON COUPON.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    So much. Family of 6 with 3 boys ages 14, 10, and 8 that eat like I don't know what kind of animals. Even my 4-year old daughter has a big appetite. ha! I spent $187 today on meats/fish for the week, a few staples like Tide, butter, cheese sticks (they go through these like crazy), worcestershire sauce and produce for 2 days.

I will likely spend another $40 on produce for the week, and who knows, $40 on miscellaneous stuff like pull-ups for my daughter and TP. I don't buy shampoo very often--I get the giant jugs at Costco, so I'm not really sure what I spend on that as a per week cost.

I don't buy prepared meats; I prefer to do my own rubs and marinades, and I grill or crock pot most of it. I get fresh produce every other day from the local farmer's stand.

Today's meat/fish purchases were a score, as everything was on sale and I came right home, split the packs (I always buy the BIG packs), dry-rubbed and marinated it all and froze it. There will be yummy lunch leftovers this week -- woot!
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    120-180$ (every week) between my husband & I, but I'm mostly vegan & he is a total cheese/meat eater so we normal eat completely different meals & I buy a crazy amount of veggies per week & they are NOT cheap... damn Wegmans.. also NOT cheap, but it's the best grocery store ever! maybe another 30$ per week on cat food/litter/shampoo/paper towel etc....
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    We spend about $500 monthly. This includes food, cleaning supplies and toiletries for 2 adults and 2 kids, 7 and 3.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think $125 a week is completely do-able! I am a huge couponer and for my family of 4, I spend less than that.....I stock up on things when they are on sale and I have a chest freezer in my basement to keep frozen food when I can get it cheap. I never pay a cent for toiletries, like I said I coupon and I'm able to keep my cost low or free for things like shampoo, conditioner, razoers, deoderant etc.....that way I can spend a little more on things like fresh produce and meat.
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't get how you are doing it..... I have a family of four and the only way I can spend that amount is to eat mostly unhealthy processed foods.. or couponing.. which is again for the mostly unhealthy processed fooods.. I find it's prob more like $250 a week and sometimes more when we need toiletries or dog food and stuff...eating healthy definitely costs a lot more than not..
  • kristinajaffe
    kristinajaffe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    COUPON.
    COUPON COUPON COUPON.

I agree and coupon for anything i can... but don't you find that it's more so for unhealthy items.. I definitely stock up when things are on sale and even more so if I have coupons...
  • vannman4
    vannman4 Posts: 2
    Options
    I budget for 60-80 a week in groceries, not including soap, paper products. It is for a family of four and we only eat out once or twice a week.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I don't get how you are doing it..... I have a family of four and the only way I can spend that amount is to eat mostly unhealthy processed foods.. or couponing.. which is again for the mostly unhealthy processed fooods.. I find it's prob more like $250 a week and sometimes more when we need toiletries or dog food and stuff...eating healthy definitely costs a lot more than not..

Start looking for your produce locally instead of at the grocery stores. Grocery store produce is grossly overpriced and usually not as tasty as the local farmer's items.

We have a big farmer's market here where I got a trunkload of produce for $20 last week. It would've easily been $100 at the grocery store.
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    We grocery shop for the month for everything for a family of three and we spend anywhere between $300 and $400.00 per month and walk away with anywhere's between $50.00 to $150.00 in free groceries by maximizing our coupons and club savings to their maximum potential. This month for example we have spent $300.00 for the month on food and non food items and also brought home with us 4 boxes (paper ream boxes) full of grocery items from coupons alone. Those 4 boxes we got for free would have been about another $100.00.
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I spend about $130/week to feed two adults. I think it's important to ask where people are living. Groceries in Tulsa, OK are much cheaper than groceries in DC (where I'm living now).
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    COUPON.
    COUPON COUPON COUPON.

I agree and coupon for anything i can... but don't you find that it's more so for unhealthy items.. I definitely stock up when things are on sale and even more so if I have coupons...

When I first started couponing I did find that most of it was for unhealthy stuff, but the more I searched the more I found coupons for eggs, free milk, cheese, canned veggies, salad mixes, juice, bread etc. I "fan" alot of companies on facebook and get tons of free stuff. I also joined kraft fresh taste.com and get coupons for free items. With all the savings on stuff like that and never paying for toiletries I'm able to spend a little more on meats and fresh produce....but I still wait for it to be on sale before I buy it. I stock up on what I can so I don't have to buy it when it's not on sale.
  • rockchalk956
    rockchalk956 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For myself, it ranges from $50-$75 every two weeks, depending on what I'm out of. But I can usually get by with a cart full of fresh produce, meat, dairy, and some healthy snacks for around $55-$60.

A couple things that really helped me are making shopping lists (simple, but super-effective) and recording the actual prices of things. When I get home, I copy down everything on my receipt into a notebook, including the item name, how many and/or price per pound (for produce and things), the total item(s) price, and then a grand total at the bottom. This helps me track the fluctuation of price of produce and things like that, so I can better plan what I'm going to buy.

Oh, and if you're a student, Sam's (possibly Costco) has an annual student discount to where you only pay $40/year instead of the usual $100/year.
  • Becky99504
    Options
    I spend about 200.00 to 225.00 per week for my husband and myself. Fresh produce is extremely expensive here in Alaska, it's too early in the spring for the farmers market.