Six months on MFP pics (and why you should weight train!)

Options
Devonanne
Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
Hi All,

I realized it's my 6 month MFP anniversary, and since I haven't posted any photos so far, maybe it's time. And a little disclaimer: Yeah, these photos are bad, grainy and some are blurry. They were just for my own reference, so don't expect photographic magic here :) The main reason I'm posting these though is I looked at them the other day and realized that my most significant progress has been since I started New Rules of Lifting for Women a couple months ago.

At the beginning of this journey I was eating poorly, sitting all day at a desk job and getting no exercise. I've gone through many health and fitness "kicks" in my life, but I was definitely in a low spot in October, at my heaviest weight ever and feeling like a blob. I started MFP, began the Couch to 5K program, and bought an elliptical. In February I started weight training, and on April first I ran my first 5K race (still hard for me to believe..since in October I could run for less than 1 minute without getting winded)!
I'm currently doing New Rules of Lifting 3x week, and running 3x week, working towards being able to run 10K. My fiance and I have also started focusing on eating clean, whole food - local and organic as much as we can.

From October to December I had my MFP calorie goal set to 1200 net. In late December I upped it to 1350, then 1400 in February, and again to 1500 last month. I have been feeling pretty good with the 1500 net, which means I usually consume 1800-2000 calories per day.

Here are my progress stats:

Height: 5' 4"
SW: 150lbs

November 2011 Stats (I didn't take measurements in October when I first started):
Weight: 142lb
Bust: 36"
Waist: 29"
Abdomen: 35"
Bum: 39"
Left Leg: 20.5"
Right Leg: 20"
Left Arm: 12"
Right Arm: 11.5"

April 2012 Stats:
Weight: 128lb
Bust: 34"
Waist: 26.5"
Abdomen: 32"
Bum: 36.75"
Left Leg: 19"
Right Leg: 18.5"
Left Arm: 10.5"
Right Arm: 11"

Total Inches Lost: 14.75"
Total Pounds Lost: 22lbs

nov.jpg
dec.jpg
feb.jpg
apr.jpg

From November-February, I was doing mostly cardio (running, elliptical), with the occasional P90X strength video or some machines at the gym. I can see my progress from Nov-Feb in the pictures, but it seems that while I was getting smaller, my overall shape didn't change a huge amount.

In February is when I started lifting (doing New Rules of Lifting for Women). As you can see, after a couple months of that, in my April picture I am finally starting to tone up a bit! Even though this is the smallest difference in pounds (only 3 pounds lost from February to April), I think it's by far the most significant change in my appearance.

So if you're not sure about lifting, or worried about not losing pounds on the scale, like I was - don't be! I am way more excited about my progress in the last few months than I was about just losing pounds for 4 months before that.

I feel I still have a looong way to go - I am only 3lbs from my original goal weight, but my focus is no longer on the number. I am judging my results on how I look and feel :) If I could get down to 120 that'd be awesome, but only if I can take some muscle definition with me! I'm excited to see where I'll be in another 6 months, or a year...

Replies

• thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    nov.jpg
    dec.jpg
    feb.jpg
    apr.jpg

Hope this works to see your pictures
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Guess you got it. lol
    awesome job, I am doing couch to 5K (on Week 3 day 1 tonight) also just bought the book new rules so Im excited
  • pattrysec
    Options
    Great Work!
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Looking great!

Shining example that Cardio alone makes a person skinny fat LoL Weights shred the fat and tighten the muscle which is what gives definition.

Keep up the great work!
  • Devonanne
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's not a huge dramatic transformation or anything..at least not to most..but it is to me! :) I've had to buy all new clothes which I certainly never did when I lost weight before!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Great success! Thanks for such a detailed post. Love seeing others' New Rules changes :)
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You are doing so great!!!
    Your starting stats are similar to me now and you are where I am hoping to be in a few months!!
    I have been training on the elliptical 45 - 60 minutes 5 - 6 days a week for a month and last week I started lifting weights. I'm only down 5 pounds, but I've lost 10 inches and 4% body fat total in the past 3 and a half weeks! :) I love lifting, it makes me happy to see when I can increase weight or reps, I just don't know exactly what I should be doing so I'm going to check out that book.
    Thanks so much for posting progress pics! You look wonderful!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT!!

I just started reading New Rules...do you follow the nutrition plan, too, or just the weight training?
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's not a huge dramatic transformation or anything..at least not to most..but it is to me! :) I've had to buy all new clothes which I certainly never did when I lost weight before!
    Thanks for sharing the photos...I really liked the frequency of them...what I mean is that we got to see the process...the before and after with 100 lbs lost are great but it usually looks like a different person. Good job. and again...thanks for sharing the photos.
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Amazing work!! You go girl!! =)
  • rrhennen
    rrhennen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Big difference from Feb to now. Great job!!
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You look Great! :D Well done!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZING! Thanks for the inspiration! I'm going to order the book right now!
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just bought that book. Was on Craigslist looking for weights today! But everything I've read there I've seen in my life already, so I'm really excited to be starting it because I know it works. I am 47 years old and have lost about 40 lbs from my heaviest weight--lost 20 one year and another 20 last year (I weigh 155 now). But now am starving myself and not losing. Starve for a week and nothing happens. Starve for another week and am to tired to care anymore and then over eat and gain a couple. Can run a 10 minute mile now (!) but can't budge these last 15 lbs. So then I start reading this book and remember the times in my life when I've felt really good--when I'm pouring concrete or planting trees. Tore out a wall last week (not a Sheetrock wall either--huge job) and framed up the new one, feel better than I've felt in a while. Gonna keep working and gonna use the plan in this book to finally get the strength I've been wanting and lose the rest of this weight!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You have really inspired me! The difference in your shape in just the last two months is impressive. Congratulations!!!

I've never done strength training, and I got ticked off at my doctor when she said I needed to. I've slowing been warming up to the idea, but have no idea where to start, except for maybe my husband's old dusty bowflex out in the garage....I'll have to stop hanging my laundry on it! Thanks for the inspiration.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    awesome job!!! way to stay motivated and to keep pushing your progress!
  • Devonanne
    Options
    You look GREAT!!

I just started reading New Rules...do you follow the nutrition plan, too, or just the weight training?

I don't follow their nutrition plan per se. I do eat about 1800-1900 calories per day which is pretty much what the book suggests for me as a small deficit, and I try to get at least 100g of protein daily which is a challenge for me. Either than that I just try to eat cleanly as much as I can and avoid pesticides, chemicals and preservatives as much as reasonably possible. That said..I have my good weeks and bad weeks. Sometimes I go wayyyy over, haha.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Well said! I couldn't agree more about the weight lifting. You look amazing!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You were hot at 150 and even hotter now!!! Great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!