Lower fat foods with higher fiber and higher protein

Options
2»

Replies

• pattyfit3334
    pattyfit3334 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    try some apples or carrots - good water content, vitamins and lots of fiber.
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm typically over my daily requirements for fiber and protein. I get most of my fiber from vegetables, rather than grains. Try having vegetables with every meal, maybe two servings if it won't make you feel overly full. Eggs for breakfast can give you a protein boost (I usually do 1 whole egg, plus two whites). Kashi also makes cereals with as much protein as an egg, so you get that plus around 8 grams of fiber. Beans and legumes are great for getting fiber and protein. Chickpeas are delicious and very versatile. You can toss them in salads, mash them up into hummus, make savory side dishes and just eat them as a snack.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein Bars

Most are 5g fat, 17-20g fiber and 20g protein. And 1g of sugar! The chocolate peanut butter is tastey!!!
  • Goldrusher
    Goldrusher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First time poster here...HELLO everyone!! Had a bout with diverticulitis so I am taking fiber very seriously...... I have found something that is almost mana form heaven! LOL I have looked at hundreds of cereals and they all are high in calories and not so high in fiber. But here is the powerhouse!!!!!!!!! Kellogg s All Bran Buds. They are kinda like grape nuts but not quite as hard And get this 1/3 cup is only 80 calories and is a whopping 13 grams of fiber. I usually mix it with 1/2 cup of another cereal and 2 packs of Splenda with fiber. Total of about 19 -20 grams of fiber depending on what other cereal you mix it with And oh by the way,m it taste great too not like all bran. Have 2/3 cup for 160 calories adn you hit 26 fibers.
  • jasonherbert2626
    Options
    Try quinia i think thats how its spelled , its a super grain high in protein , its being considered for space travel and growing food in space because its an almost perfect food, Try googling it to get more info. Good Luck oh i also use whey protein with almond milk for a quick meal
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yummy Pinto bean soup!!! Soooo good and high in fiber and low in fat if you dont add much oil!

I too love pinto bean soup and also great northern bean soup. They are both delicious and high in fiber and low in fat. They are natural foods, therefore good for the body. I just cook mine all day with lots of water on them and add a ham hock for flavor and b/c my husband likes to pick the meat off it with his beans. I've never heard of adding oil to beans:tongue:
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yummy Pinto bean soup!!! Soooo good and high in fiber and low in fat if you dont add much oil!

I too love pinto bean soup and also great northern bean soup. They are both delicious and high in fiber and low in fat. They are natural foods, therefore good for the body. I just cook mine all day with lots of water on them and add a ham hock for flavor and b/c my husband likes to pick the meat off it with his beans. I've never heard of adding oil to beans:tongue:

I make mine by frying onions and garlic with just a bit of olive oil spray and then adding the beans and boiling until tender. Then a take a cup of the cooked beans and puree it and pour it back into the pot. Season with lots of cumin, a bit of coriander powder, dash of black salt, lime and black pepper...SO NUMMY!
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I need to get some higher fiber and higher protein foods into my diet. Everyday I seem to be short on protein and fiber.
    for fiber grapes...and lots and lots of water..to keep things regular...I'm usually short on protein too....so i eat nuts...10 pecan halves for snack...each one is so delicious...but I heard the best nut is almonds. Have you tried a peanut butter smoothie with wheat germ?
    banana, milk, 1 T of peanut butter and 1T of wheat germ. blend. drink.
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    A glass of cultured buttermilk and sea salted almonds before bed, yum!
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Legumes especially lentils. And You can always add psyllium husks to Your diet for fiber.
  • bfgalvan
    bfgalvan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas!
  • bfgalvan
    bfgalvan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump