cardio - INCLINE or no incline.

Options
recently just got a gym membership, wanting to lose overall body fat.. hopefully mainly from my thighs and hips as I know you cannot spot reduce, but I carry most of my weight in my lower body as my upper body is much thinner. was wondering, as far as the treadmill or elliptical, do you prefer jogging/walking on incline or NO incline?? i've heard that if you carry most of your weight on your thighs it's best to go on a very low incline to none at all as they can get better with muscle.. is this true?

Replies

• SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do intervals on every piece of cardio equipment. On the treadmill, I do 2 minutes of incline 0, speed 4. 2 minutes of incline 5, speed 4. 2 minutes of incline 10 at speed 4. 2 minutes of incline 15 at speed 3. 2 minutes of running (6-9 mph) at incline 0. I do it for 60 minutes, but try to do at least 30 minutes to start. You will have much better results with incline intervals (plus the time goes by so much faster!) than just boring flat walking.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That whole if you carry weight in your things don't lift on the bottom and only do cardio, is a load of bull.

Do squats, lunges, leg press, plus walking on a incline combined with some running and you'll see changes. Make sure the weight part is as heavy as you can go.. and as long as you eat in a calorie deficit, you still lose weight.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    I do incline off and on on my elliptical and I'm bigger on the bottom too. Wherever u gain a little muscle is good and only tones u up and makes u look thinner, and gives u better curves:) incline is good for the thighs to lose fat!
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of incline. I do 45 min at 9% grade and 3.8 MPH. You'll see the calorie counter and your heart react more to incline than they do speed.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you just answered your own question :laugh: you cant spot reduce so how is having an incline or not having an incline going to spot reduce?

to lose weight you need to eat below your TDEE but above your BMR. exercise will help make sure you dont lose too much muscle, but there's noway cardio can be used to target fat loss from one area over another. how your body loses fat will depend on your genetics

my advice is to go as hard as you can, rest when needed then go as hard as you can.
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Something that hasn't been mentioned - if you want to avoid damage and are working out on a regular basis, incline is preferable (particularly on the treadmill) as it's lower impact (so less likely to cause ankle, knee pain, etc.).
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You burn way more calories with an incline. I power walk on the treadmill at an incline of 10% and a speed of 3.3mph.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    would it not increase the chance of calf injuries due to hyper extension?
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Something that hasn't been mentioned - if you want to avoid damage and are working out on a regular basis, incline is preferable (particularly on the treadmill) as it's lower impact (so less likely to cause ankle, knee pain, etc.).

^^^This^^^
    I was also given this advice from a friend who also happens to be a health care professional and an avid runner both on the treadmill when the weather is un-cooperative, and on the road.

Edit: she recommended a 1-2% incline to help reduce impact
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you want to burn some fat off you legs and midsection. start lifting. start doing dead lifts and squats. start yesterday if you can.
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you have the chance to use the Cybex Arc do the programs it offers. It changes up the incline and therefore the calorie burn is better. I love the Arc because the treadmill hurts my knees and I don't have that issue with the ARC
  • murfstroo
    Options

This is what my physical therapist and chiropractor said recently as well. For women especially. It helps reduce the pressure on the kneecap and keeps it inline which reduces knee irritation. A chronic problem for women.
  • Carrie11Reed9
    Options
    I don't have a response, just a general comment. I was wondering the same thing and I really appreciate the awesome advise you received. Thanks to everyone. I can't wait to try these suggestions and I'm glad the incline I've been using on my treadmill is helping me out. :)