Are gyms and fitness programs worth it?

Options
A gym recently opened up down the street from me and I am wondering if it is worth it. I am a horrible procrastinator, although I still work out at home with all my fancy little devices and music I feel like I am not getting anywhere. I'm a constant weight checker so I am not seeing much of an improvement in my weight and it has me frustrated.

They have a month membership for $69 which I think is low enough where I could justify it. Usually money is a motivator, but lately that hasn't been the case.

What's your opinion?

p.s. I don't like workout videos much because I'm hopping around in front of a tv and probably not doing it right..

Replies

• crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's only as good as the effort you will put into it. A Planet Fitness membership is much cheaper, from what I've been told - don't have one near me. For me, I will procrastinate up until I get into the gym, then it's on!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Whoa! $69 a month! The cheapest in my area is $10 a month. The average is about $30-40. Does that include training and/or classes?

I really liked having a trainer. I lost weight and body fat quickly and he was good at making me feel guilty when I missed sessions. I was able to get him at the bargain rate of $30 an hour three times a week.

The next best exercise program for me was the weightlifting classes at Lifestyle Fitness. I think other gyms offer similar classes. It was cardio and weights all in one. Another time I lost weight and body fat quickly.

Otherwise, I have had little success having a gym membership. I hate feeling like I am being oogled at and judged by everyone in the gym. I just felt like it was a big waste of money.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    Regardless of cost, any gym or program is only as good as the effort you put into it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    if you will use it then its worth it!
    There is no way i would work out at home, id go out for a run but weights / dvds etc are not happening.
    Once I get to the gym there is nothing to distract you from working out, and you also have lots of exercise options that you just cant do at home :-)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If that includes access to a trainer or classes, go for it. The advice you get from the trainer is easily worth the cash, and it can help you up your game and get you motivated (even if you continue to use your gear at home, you can use it based on a plan!).

I'm lucky, my workplace has a small workout area and I have access to a trainer hired by the company any time I want to set up an appointment. His advice has been incredibly valuable.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I think its worth it, especially if it is a new gym... they equipment is going to be brand new then, they may even all have their own tv's built into the machines. they probably have a much wider range of equipment than you have at home. Plus I've found people to be very encouraging at the gym. Totally worth it for me.
  • Moto_Woody
    Options
    I resisted gym memberships my entire life because I knew, for me, at the time, it would have been a waste of money -- and it would have been.

Now I am at a point that I am fully committed to getting a healthy, fit, body and getting a gym membership has been a great thing for me. I go 5 times a week and love it.

It's all in the effort and dedication IMOP. If you will use it, get it. If you won't ... I would save your money.

BTW, that is pretty expensive for a membership.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    My gym is half that, but totally is worth it for me. I need a routine. Somewhere to go. At home, too easy for me to make excuses to not do something.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not go to a gym, I do all my workout's in my house. I know some people who can't workout at home because they say that they know the couch is behind them and would rather just lay down. If going to a gym would give you more motivation, then yes it's worth it. I personally enjoy putting in a DVD or turning on the game system and getting my work out on. Right now I am enjoying Bob Harper's Yoga DVD but thinking of getting Jillian's No trouble zone DVD. It's whatever you think will help you best. I am weird about working out in front of people, I rather no one watch me or where I feel they can watch me. I get more out of a workout in my house.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Regardless of cost, any gym or program is only as good as the effort you put into it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

True. I will say though, knowing that on the first of every month, $80 is going to disappear from my bank account (I go to Lifetime Fitness--pricey, but I love it), it motivates me to actually use my gym membership. If I'm paying that much for a service, hell yeah I'm gonna use it!

I'm a bit spoiled by Lifetime, so it makes it easier to go as well. Lots of classes, trainers on hand, a yoga studio, indoor and outdoor lap and family pools, a steam room and sauna, spa, rock climbing wall....do I NEED all those things? No....but they sure are nice :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    $69 a month is SUPER EXPENSIVE compared to the gyms out by me (Chicago). You can join some for $10 a month and at the very least $20.

Be that as it may....joining a gym can sometimes jumpstart your motivation. Just the change of pace alone can be good for your fitness routine. Of course, as others have said in previous posts, it's only effective if you utilize it.

It's worth a try. But you might want to do some homework on all the gyms in your area to find a cheaper one.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i prefer just getting my own equipment. my exercise bike was about $300 new. if that's too much, take the $69 to any yard sale. you'll likely find more slightly used exercise equipment than you can imagine.

when i bought my treadmill, i joked that it would be that only one in America that actually got used. i used it, all right. it's developing a hole in the conveyor; i need to figure out how to replace it before next winter.
  • SeeEmRun2012
    Options
    I use both. Keep it interesting. I do beach body dvds programs 3 nights a week and gym days fall on the other days. It helps keep it interesting AND your body has to keep up with the constant change in schedule forcing the muscles to form and fat to shred. It REALLY made a difference for me and my body when I plateaued. Do whats best for you.
  • MaidenofLaurus
    MaidenofLaurus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your input.

I think the reason I am interested in this particular gym is because it is right below my office that I rent.

Also it's all in groups and the trainers analyze your own personal goals and they state that they can help you burn 700 or so calories per session. I feel like I need someone to kick me in the butt to really get things done.

I sent them an email asking them what type of program I should go for, so I am waiting for their response.

Here is the link:

http://www.fitnessfusioneasthampton.com/Packages.html

As for the $10 memberships, the closest one is not with in walking distance and will be in the next town or so.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    WoW, $69 for a monthly membership??? That's a lot! My gym membership is only $10 at Fitness Connection. Gym memberships are definitely worth it as long as you use them! I personally HATE working out at home. I cannot get motivated in front of a TV one bit.
    If I were you I'd check out other membership fees in the area. If your only choice is that one and it won't kill you to spend that much each month, do it. And for even more motivation, check out some programs on bodybuilding.com. There are tons on there so I know you'll find one that suits your needs :)
  • Moto_Woody
    Options
    If you can afford it and will use it, DO IT!

If they don't have a contract either that would be even better.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it and will use it, DO IT!

If they don't have a contract either that would be even better.

That's one good thing about mine---no contract. It's month to month. It's quite a bit pricier than a lot of them, but I have the freedom to suspend my membership if I know I won't be using it for a couple months, or I can cancel at any time with no penalties. A lot (not all, but many) of your $10-$20 a month memberships require some kind of extended contract.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    There's no other way I could stay in-shape and hit my personal goals. Workout videos are good for cardio and not much more than that. But why pay for expensive videos that after their usage period are old and probably not useful anymore when you can get a gym membership and continue to grow. Then you're only limited by yourself.
  • BMcLeodTeam
    BMcLeodTeam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you think you are going to use it, or that paying to have the membership will motivate you to use it, then go for it! I pay $40/month for mine and LOVE having that option. I don't ALWAYS go to the gym, I like a nice mix of gym time and home workouts, but I do go atleast 3-4 times per week. Knowing that I'm paying that membership encourages me to get off my butt and go on the days that I'm lagging a little :)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I joined a local Fitness Center that is smaller, but membership of $22.00 a month includes the classes.
    I also signed up for 3 personal trainer sessions just to get an idea of what I should do to reach my goals, and what toning and weightlifting I should do.. The personal training sessions were $100 for four sessions.