Good carbs vs.bad carbs?

Options

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If you need to sweeten something, doesn't that tell you that perhaps it's something you shouldn't be drinking the first place?

Plain coffee is digusting on its own, which illustrates how unhealthy it actually is.

The sugar ( carbohydrate ) makes it taste nice, this shows how Humans are naturally suited to the consumption of high amounts of carbohydrates..

All you need to do is eat wholefood forms of carbohydrates, like I said previously.. Some fruit is O.K, but it is a simple carbohydrate and won't offer much satiety - complex carbs should be the focus, they offer the most satiety and protein.

However, fruits are still beneficial in terms in nutrients etc.. vegetables also contain them, but are often less palatable, and alot of their Vitamin C is destroyed via cooking at high heats.

Protein and fat dominate foods ( meat, avocados, nuts ) should NEVER comprise the bulk of your diet, this is why you will get cravings etc...If you allow your diet to be high in carbs, your cravings for carbs will be nonexistent... you see? lol

Did you just speak badly of my BFF, coffee??? *puts on fighting gloves* =)
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you need to sweeten something, doesn't that tell you that perhaps it's something you shouldn't be drinking the first place?

Plain coffee is digusting on its own, which illustrates how unhealthy it actually is.

The sugar ( carbohydrate ) makes it taste nice, this shows how Humans are naturally suited to the consumption of high amounts of carbohydrates..

All you need to do is eat wholefood forms of carbohydrates, like I said previously.. Some fruit is O.K, but it is a simple carbohydrate and won't offer much satiety - complex carbs should be the focus, they offer the most satiety and protein.

However, fruits are still beneficial in terms in nutrients etc.. vegetables also contain them, but are often less palatable, and alot of their Vitamin C is destroyed via cooking at high heats.

Protein and fat dominate foods ( meat, avocados, nuts ) should NEVER comprise the bulk of your diet, this is why you will get cravings etc...If you allow your diet to be high in carbs, your cravings for carbs will be nonexistent... you see? lol

Coffee is not unhealthy; lots of data to suport that is in fact very healthy and can prevent diseases.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies also have different nutritional profiles from one another too, fruits tend to be higher in vitamins and veggies tend to be higher in minerals (if you define fruits as anything we eat that is the ovary of the plant and veggies as the roots, stalks or any part other that the ovary - that is a whole different discussion since some people define veggies as main course and fruits as dessert...). Anyway, both fruits and vegetables, and a colorful variety of each, are necessary for a well balanced diet. And they're delicious. Eat them liberally and without guilt.
  • tinlee
    tinlee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try upgrading your coffee. Better quality coffee tastes good without sugar. I love getting the Americano at Starbucks and it's good black.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Plain coffee is digusting on its own, which illustrates how unhealthy it actually is

So the better something tastes, the healthier it is? What about leafy vegetables? They don't taste very good but I've been told they are healthy. Doesn't that contradict your reasoning for coffee being unhealthy?

And you are saying that protein and fat intake lead to cravings and high carb intake alleviates cravings? What about all the studies showing that protein is a more satiating food than both fat and carbs? Not only that but what about all the people who spontaneously lower calorie intake by eating low carb, moderate protein, high fat diets?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Plain coffee is digusting on its own, which illustrates how unhealthy it actually is

So the better something tastes, the healthier it is? What about leafy vegetables? They don't taste very good but I've been told they are healthy. Doesn't that contradict your reasoning for coffee being unhealthy?

And you are saying that protein and fat intake lead to cravings and high carb intake alleviates cravings? What about all the studies showing that protein is a more satiating food than both fat and carbs? Not only that but what about all the people who spontaneously lower calorie intake by eating low carb, moderate protein, high fat diets?
    Satiety means feeling full, it has nothing to do with cravings. Also, just as many people lower their calories while not cutting carbs, different people respond to different diets. Personally I gained weight because I overate fat, not carbs or protein. I lose weight eating a moderate mix of carbs, protein, and fat, just being mindful of overall calories.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Humans like SWEET tasting foods because back in the day they WERE NOT available in large amounts so its evolution making us feast on them because of the fact they were so scarce not because the body is suited to them. Absolute hogwash. Advances in farming etc allow us massive amounts of carbs that were once scarce - 2,000,0000 years of evolution isn't over turned by a few 000 that farming has been around hence we still feast on them given the chance. Talk about getting it the wrong way around.

In terms of weight loss, complex and simple carbs to the AVERAGE dieter won't make a huge difference but when considering dieting to cut fat quickly and efficiently, the varying levels of insulin released by consuming simple carbs and thus turning fat burning off for a more significant time than complex carbs is an issue. You cannot say they are the same as a blanket statement, they are not.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I would eat the Strawberries, and think twice about the sugar in the coffee and the organic soy pudding next time.

Remember, organic does NOT imply healthy, all it means is that the ingredients were grown/produced without chemicals. They can add all the sugar they want.

Food is made of chemicals.

From the research I've seen, the bad carb is fructose. The primary sources of that are fruit, high fructose corn syrup (usually 55% fructose), and sucrose (after one processing step, 50% fructose).

Obviously food is made of chemicals. So is air and your body and literally everything else in the universe. Thanks for the sarcastic and thoroughly unproductive comment. If you like, I could be more specific about what is allowed for organic food production, but it's really not relevant to this conversation. My point is that organic is not a health claim, which the OP acknowledged.

Just pointing out that your assertion about the lack of chemicals in "organic" food production was 100% incorrect (part 1) and that a lot of recent research has been pointing fingers at fructose (part 2). You can think that's sarcastic or unproductive if you want, but at least they were truthful statements.
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    Thank you again everyone.

I will not give up my coffee or my soy pudding. I understand this is a lifestyle change and all of that, but I think the process should be enjoyed.

I think you should be allowed to eat the foods that make you happy,in moderation. Instead of eating a box of chocolate chip cookies I went for a pudding instead, is this so bad?

Coffee isnt bad for you, its what you put in it that makes it bad. I know the things i put in it are bad and I am okay with that. I have cut out fast food, juices, pizza and chocolate, I think i should be able to keep something that makes me happy.

:)

I agree. The lifestyle change is according to your lifestyle that you are changing. No one else. Definitely eat things you like and in moderation. You seem to have made alternative changes that works for you. Keep striving, you will reach your destination with no hurry or unhappy journey. I wish you much success!!
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Why is coffee unhealthy?

Yes, why is coffee unhealthy?

Saying "If you need to sweeten something, doesn't that tell you that perhaps it's something you shouldn't be drinking the first place?" Is like saying you shouldn't season meat with herbs and spices because it should taste good on it's own or that you shouldn't add fruit to oatmeal. Personally I need some sweetness in my oatmeal and something to season my meat or fish. And I love coffee but ONLY with sweetener and a bit of milk or lowfat cream..
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    Coffee has been shown to raise cholesterol, blood pressure and risk of heart disease.. You should really look into studies that aren't funded by the coffee companies ( biased sources ). Tea is less harmful and does have some benefits, particularly green tea.

Green vegetables don't taste revolting usually and is irrelevant ( try eating a lettuce leaf vs a few coffee beans).. although some have anti-nutrients which can be problematic so should be cooked to lower the levels, which include Broccoli, Spinach, Kale and Brussel Sprouts... However, a small amount raw is O.K.

If you need a drink made out of some beans to make yourself feel good, then that seriously indicates something is wrong.. If you get rid of these addictions, you will feel much more free and energetic.. Of course at first you may feel bad, because coffee has been giving you an artifical sense of alertness.
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    No wonder many of you guys struggle!

You do know that milk is supposed to turn a calf into a 1000lb cow? what do you think that does to the Human body?

On top of this you're eating sweeteners ( which provide no satiety ) to one of the highest fat grains ( oatmeal 14%-20% fat )....

Of course you are going to 'need coffee' to function properly, no body can function normally on such a diet.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Coffee has been shown to raise cholesterol, blood pressure and risk of heart disease.. You should really look into studies that aren't funded by the coffee companies ( biased sources ). Tea is less harmful and does have some benefits, particularly green tea.

Green vegetables don't taste revolting usually and is irrelevant ( try eating a lettuce leaf vs a few coffee beans).. although some have anti-nutrients which can be problematic so should be cooked to lower the levels, which include Broccoli, Spinach, Kale and Brussel Sprouts... However, a small amount raw is O.K.

If you need a drink made out of some beans to make yourself feel good, then that seriously indicates something is wrong.. If you get rid of these addictions, you will feel much more free and energetic.. Of course at first you may feel bad, because coffee has been giving you an artifical sense of alertness.

Getting a little off-topic, but counterpoints:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/88/4/979.short
    "Conclusion: Regular consumption of coffee and potentially black tea, but not green tea, is associated with lower risk of type 2 diabetes in Asian men and women in Singapore. "

http://jech.highwire.org/content/65/3/230.abstract
    "Conclusions Consumption of coffee, green tea and oolong tea and total caffeine intake was associated with a reduced risk of mortality from CVD."

http://www.ajcn.org/content/93/6/1212.short
    "Conclusion: The results suggest that habitual coffee consumption of >3 cups/d was not associated with an increased risk of hypertension compared with <1 cup/d; however, a slightly elevated risk appeared to be associated with light-to-moderate consumption of 1 to 3 cups/d. "
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Getting a little off-topic, but counterpoints:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/88/4/979.short
    "Conclusion: Regular consumption of coffee and potentially black tea, but not green tea, is associated with lower risk of type 2 diabetes in Asian men and women in Singapore. "

http://jech.highwire.org/content/65/3/230.abstract
    "Conclusions Consumption of coffee, green tea and oolong tea and total caffeine intake was associated with a reduced risk of mortality from CVD."

http://www.ajcn.org/content/93/6/1212.short
    "Conclusion: The results suggest that habitual coffee consumption of >3 cups/d was not associated with an increased risk of hypertension compared with <1 cup/d; however, a slightly elevated risk appeared to be associated with light-to-moderate consumption of 1 to 3 cups/d. "

Also this one

Coffee, diabetes, and weight control. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 84, No. 4, 682-693, October 2006
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/84/4/682.full
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    I not going to debate this.. If you're drinking coffee, there's nothing I can do, it's your life! lol.

I'm just sharing the information I'm aware of and has worked for me.

1) Urgert R, Katan MB. The cholesterol-raising factor from coffee beans. Annu Rev Nutr. 1997;17:305-24.

2) James JE. . Critical review of dietary caffeine and blood pressure: a relationship that should be taken more seriously. Psychosom Med. 2004 Jan-Feb;66(1):63-71.

3) Corti R, Binggeli C, Sudano I, Spieker L, Hanseler E, Ruschitzka F, Chaplin WF, Luscher TF, Noll G. Coffee acutely increases sympathetic nerve activity and blood pressure independently of caffeine content: role of habitual versus nonhabitual drinking. Circulation. 2002 Dec 3;106(23):2935-40.

4) Van Deventer G. Lower esophageal sphincter pressure, acid secretion, and blood gastrin after coffee consumption. Dig Dis Sci. 1992 Apr;37(4):558-69.

5) Wendl B. Effect of decaffeination of coffee or tea on gastro-oesophageal reflux. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1994 Jun;8(3):283-7.

6) Pehl C. The effect of decaffeination of coffee on gastro-oesophageal reflux in patients with reflux disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1997 Jun;11(3):483-6.

7) Cohen S. Gastric acid secretion and lower-esophageal-sphincter pressure in response to coffee and caffeine. N Engl J Med. 1975 Oct 30;293(18):897-9.

8) Cohen S. Pathogenesis of coffee-induced gastrointestinal symptoms.
    N Engl J Med. 1980 Jul 17;303(3):122-4.

9) Elta GH Comparison of coffee intake and coffee-induced symptoms in patients with duodenal ulcer, nonulcer dyspepsia, and normal controls. Am J Gastroenterol. 1990 Oct;85(10):1339-42.

10) Quinlan PT, Lane J, Moore KL, Aspen J, Rycroft JA, O'Brien DC. The acute physiological and mood effects of tea and coffee: the role of caffeine level. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000 May;66(1):19-28.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I not going to debate this.. If you're drinking coffee, there's nothing I can do, it's your life! lol.

I'm just sharing the information I'm aware of and has worked for me.

1) Urgert R, Katan MB. The cholesterol-raising factor from coffee beans. Annu Rev Nutr. 1997;17:305-24.

2) James JE. . Critical review of dietary caffeine and blood pressure: a relationship that should be taken more seriously. Psychosom Med. 2004 Jan-Feb;66(1):63-71.

3) Corti R, Binggeli C, Sudano I, Spieker L, Hanseler E, Ruschitzka F, Chaplin WF, Luscher TF, Noll G. Coffee acutely increases sympathetic nerve activity and blood pressure independently of caffeine content: role of habitual versus nonhabitual drinking. Circulation. 2002 Dec 3;106(23):2935-40.

4) Van Deventer G. Lower esophageal sphincter pressure, acid secretion, and blood gastrin after coffee consumption. Dig Dis Sci. 1992 Apr;37(4):558-69.

5) Wendl B. Effect of decaffeination of coffee or tea on gastro-oesophageal reflux. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1994 Jun;8(3):283-7.

6) Pehl C. The effect of decaffeination of coffee on gastro-oesophageal reflux in patients with reflux disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1997 Jun;11(3):483-6.

7) Cohen S. Gastric acid secretion and lower-esophageal-sphincter pressure in response to coffee and caffeine. N Engl J Med. 1975 Oct 30;293(18):897-9.

8) Cohen S. Pathogenesis of coffee-induced gastrointestinal symptoms.
    N Engl J Med. 1980 Jul 17;303(3):122-4.

9) Elta GH Comparison of coffee intake and coffee-induced symptoms in patients with duodenal ulcer, nonulcer dyspepsia, and normal controls. Am J Gastroenterol. 1990 Oct;85(10):1339-42.

10) Quinlan PT, Lane J, Moore KL, Aspen J, Rycroft JA, O'Brien DC. The acute physiological and mood effects of tea and coffee: the role of caffeine level. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000 May;66(1):19-28.

And thus you expose yourself

http://www.all-creatures.org/health/coffee.html

Have you read any of the studies you posted? Take the first study you posted in which subjects were fed 2g of coffee oil a day, which would be somewhere between 34-68oz of regular coffee a day, without all the other compounds in coffee
  • loislane22
    Options
    ^^^^^^^
    Nice bod!
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    It's a stimulant, and the negatives far outweigh any positives.

Why take the risk for a few sips of coffee?
  • Acg67
    Options
    It's a stimulant, and the negatives far outweigh any positives.

Why take the risk for a few sips of coffee?

and what negatives would those be? keep context and dosage in mind when you respond
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So this thread has turned from carb alarmism, to fructose alarmism, to coffee alarmism...

I think we all need a coffee break with a dozen donuts to share to calm the heck down!