Increasing protein?

Options
PaveGurl
PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
I realised yesterday I am often FAR under my protein numbers on a day-to-day basis, and even more under given my weight training regimen.

Like all of us, I have a busy and complicated schedule, and often, taking the time to work out means I'm taking the time I would've used cooking in the past.

What are your best suggestions for upping my protein intake? What's your favourite? Help!

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Protein bars
    Protein shakes
    Peanut Butter
    Nuts
    Fish... especially salmon and tuna
    Greek yogurt
    Whole wheat bread products
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i would try making some protein shakes...i recently tried this and my protein intake has increased dramatically.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i use meat, cheese, greek yogurt, and protein shakes to increase mine :-)
  • PaveGurl
    Options
    Thanks, y'all.

Unfortunately, I'm allergic to salmon and tuna, but I guess I'm adding some whey in :)
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    i use protein shakes and bars. just be careful with the bars. check the ingredients
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is an easy way to get a huge boost in protein if you can't seem to get it through food.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use whey powder, egg white omelets, non-fat greek yogurt, and chicken breasts. I grill 8-10 breasts at a time and store them in the refrigerator. 93% ground beef also works pretty well and can be seasoned with taco seasoning or something similar. On the go, whey protein bars are portable but aren't the most calorie effective means of protein. Pure protein line isn't too bad and can be bought for less than $1 each. Quest bars are very good, but can be hard to find and expensive.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    protein shakes and eggs!!!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    One surprise I found was Pumpkin Seeds. Higher in protein then almonds. A 1/4 cup contains 18 g or protein. They are high in fat but its a good fat.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, black beans, whey protein, chicken, tilapia, shrimp, eggs
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs!!!!

Question of my own.... "Regular Whey Protein" (not chocolate or vanilla flavored, just natural whey protein)... Does it have a "flavor"? Or is it tasteless. Could it be stirred into any meal just to increase the protein? Kinda like Benefiber?
  • JodiHop
    JodiHop Posts: 25
    Options
    bump....
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    Protein shakes, eggs, low-sodium jerky are all good options.
  • thegrainmaster
    Options
    There is rarely any reason to increase protein, especially if you aren't underweight. There are several problems with a high protein intake that include,

- Protein puts a heavy load on the kidneys, which if done in excess can lead to issues like kidney failure.

-Typical high protein food has a very high renal acid load ( acidic, hence amino acids) which can and do cause calcium lost from the bones ( to buffer the acidic, as calcium is alkaline )... this is turn can lead to Osteoporosis.

- Animal protein and casein particularly have been shown to raise IGF-1 levels ( insulin-like growth factor) which although increase body growth and muscle weight gain, also encourage the growth of cancerous tumors in those susceptible
  • nnaples
    nnaples Posts: 2
    Options
    Go into your settings and change your carb intake to 45%, protein to 35% and fat 20%. Your protein should come from egg whites, lean turkey meat, white fish (salmon is high in fat), 98% fat free ground turkey, chicken, whole grain carbs such as couscous and quinoa. If you cannot intake enough protein from food, then turn to supplements. Whey is always a good choice. Those are trial and error depending on taste. I also enjoy New Whey by IDS. You can buy these individually. (Dilute with water!) Good Luck!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Add whey powder to yogurt, oatmeal, or even pudding. Protein shakes are good - a couple per day can boost you by 40g of protein or more.
  • PaveGurl
    Options
    Wow, you guys! What great input - thanks much! I'll look at some of the less meat-based options. Does anyone have a favourite protein powder they can reccomend, or shall I just go with muscle milk and call it good?

@thegrainmaste: thank you for the input. Unfortunately, it turns out I'm eating less than a quarter of what's been suggested as appropriate by my doc in conjunction with my routines. I do actually need the additional protein to maintain the muscle I'm working so hard for - I don't want it being "eaten" when I train so my body can maintain its ideal protein intake. Part of why I work out is to keep my heart healthy, and I've done some damage to it over the years, so erosion of that muscle isn't something I'm looking for. I do moderate my animal protein intake, though, because I know of the concerns regarding bone leaching... which, it turns out, is part of my problem.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I use this one. I get it at Costco for around 40 bucks for 75 servings.

Cytosport - 100% Whey Protein - 80% Concentrated and 20% Isolated - Chocolate,
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    how many grams per day you getting and aiming for ?
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Eggs!! I boil a dozen of them and eat them in the morning or at lunch on my salad. They are a great source of protein and other nutrients that actually help you lose weight and gain muscle.

Also try protein bars or shakes that aren't full of carbs and sugar and actually have healthy benefits.
    I get my protein from ground turkey, grilled chicken, eggs, some dairy products and nuts (peanuts, walnuts, almonds). Nuts are easy to carry around as a snack.