What is the big deal with Greek Yogurt?

Options
Hi All

I see so much info on Greek Yogurt, what to have with it, etc. I have tried it and while it tastes good, it is so many more calories than the light I usually get.

So what is the big deal with Greek Yogurt? I am assuming it has something to do with the ingredients or better for you, but I just don't know.

Thanks,

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    High protein.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Twice as much protein as regular yogurt :)
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    More protein and typically less sugar!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    more protein. and it tastes f***in' awesome!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Search the threads. Lots of info.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    High in protein and the plain makes a fantastic substitue for sour cream.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You can get non-fat or light greek yogurt also - plain is better for you than any with added sugars (obviously).
    Greek / Balkan style yogurt is creamier, has double the protein, less sugar, half the carbs and half the sodium of regular yogurt.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    More protein so it helps you feel fuller longer...and not to mention the taste is waaaayyyyy better than any regular/light yogurt out there!
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Lots more protein, more calcium, way less sugar, good for you cultures (especially um, for the ladies)

There are 60-80 calories in a Dannon light and fit and 100 in a Fage 0%, which is also not that wild a difference considering it's much more filling due to the protein.

Dannon:

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/dannon/light-and-fit-yogurt

Fage:

http://www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-0-percent/

I also prefer the tangy natural flavor and creaminess of Greek yogurt to the overly sweet, somewhat watery taste of processed light yogurts.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I see so much info on Greek Yogurt, what to have with it, etc. I have tried it and while it tastes good, it is so many more calories than the light I usually get.

So what is the big deal with Greek Yogurt? I am assuming it has something to do with the ingredients or better for you, but I just don't know.

Thanks,

Same ingredients. It's strained more, so it's thicker and the protein is higher.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    its delicious and a great source of protein.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    plus the FEW extra calories it is helps all those people who say "I just can't eat more calories, I am not hungry." Problem solved!!
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    taste better , better texture
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. I think it tastes gross, way too creamy.
    I don't like regular yogourt much either but I can barely stomache greek yogourt.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Way more protein, and way fewer artificial ingredients. Love it!
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    More protein and it tastes so damn good!!!!!!! Chobani and Fage girl right here!
  • Caro1991
    Caro1991 Posts: 97
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing... Thanks.for posting the topic and after reading I cant wait to taste it
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use it fo recipes, and swap it out for sour cream, taste just about the same and much better for you.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    That light yogurt so many people eat has a bunch of artificial crap in it whereas greek yogurt does not. Higher protein and more satisfying.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    The brand I get is high protein and low carb and only 100 calories per container.