P90x Plyometrics calories burned

Options

Replies

• dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Male, 5'6". 148 lbs. Used a Polat FT4 and I burned 701 calories in 60 minutes.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and 116 pounds. My heart rate monitor only says 360 after an hour of PLYO. I am not sure that is accurate, it sure feels like it should be more. I am in pretty good shape, and as your shape increases your heart rate decreases for the same level of activity. (this means your HR monitor says less calories) However, as you gain more muscle, shouldn't you be burning more calories?

Sorry but that sounds accurate. At 116lbs, you have a very small amount of mass, so you will burn fewer calories during exercise than the average person. A woman who is in great shape will have to work harder to burn the same amount of calories as someone who is not.

You say, as you gain more muscle, shouldn't you be burning more calories? Yes, but during periods of rest. Not during exercise... At least not a noticeable amount more.
  • BeautEvilKells
    BeautEvilKells Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use Aerobics, low intensity for warm ups / cool downs. Then I use the Aerobics, high intensity for what would be referred to as "in the zone". The calories seem to be pretty darn accurate when logging workouts, in my experience.
  • tracyfm
    tracyfm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tried that website - http://p90xcalories.com/ - it told me I burned either 703 at mid level or 883 at high level. I am 180 & 5'8". Not sure what level to put myself. I'm pretty worn out, so probably high level but I'll take the 703 so I don't cheat myself at all.

Good Luck!
  • tracyfm
    tracyfm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website! I hope it's fairly accurate, I'm going to start using it for all the videos.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM log it as Aerobics, High Impact, as that is essentially what it is. It is not circuit training, that would be the strength training days in that program.

I would guess that you would burn between 400 and 900 cals doing that depending on age, weight, gender, fitness level, intensity etc.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Since I do not have an HRM myself (though I may get one sometime next week), I use this website to estimate how many calories I burn:

http://p90xcalories.com/
  • ldimicco
    ldimicco Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too only burn around 400 calories for an hour of Plyo. I am 5"7", 120lb, and in excellent shape.
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would check out: p90xcalories.com/

I have a HRM and my numbers are usually pretty close to what that site calculates based on your input. Worth a shot. ;)
  • thekman71
    thekman71 Posts: 1
    Options
    FWIW, I am 6' 2", 200'bs and the last time I counted my calories burned using a HRM it was around 900 and that was towards the beginning.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Geez I'm jealous of all these people burning 1000. My HRM (Polar FT4) says I burn a little over 300 for the plyo video.

I'm 5' 7" 127 lbs
  • gbcb3114
    gbcb3114 Posts: 1
    Options
    For those of you wanting to know approximately how much you burn during the Plyometrics workout go to www.p90xcalories.com. click on an exercise, put in your weight, and click on low medium or high intensity level and hit calculate and this will give you an good estimate on each workout of the calories you burn...HAPPY WORKOUTS EVERYONE!
  • zarahdl
    zarahdl Posts: 1
    Options
    Very helpful post! Just what i wanted to know :)
  • sgh131
    sgh131 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 123 pounds burn 330 calories doing the 60 minute PLYO video. The www.p90xcalories.com was way off for what i actually burned, it estimated it to be much higher. It is frustrating to see that after you worked REALLY hard for an hour that you only get a little over 300 calories burned when others are in the 600-1000 range, that is crazy!
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    5'3", 115lb, first time doing plyo today with 588 calories burned as per HRM
  • xoautumnxo2
    xoautumnxo2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used the p90xcalories.com, seems a little more accurate then the high intensity aerobics
  • efemonak
    Options
    Thank you SO much to the individual who posted this site > http://p90xcalories.com/ It's very accurate, I put in numerous weights of people who posted in this form to see if the number from the site would correlate closely to the number they said they burned and it was never more than 20 calories off! That's amazing! I'm so happy to know that even at 113 I'm burning a little bit over 400 calories!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    1000 calories sounds very excessive for someone who isn't pretty obese.

At a very unfit 235 lbs I used to burn around 850.

Now at a much fitter 210 I burn around 700 +.

And even that may not be accurate though. Remember, in the average 59 minute workout, you spend around 4 minutes stretching (after the squats and lunges) in the warm up, and you spend around 5 minutes just standing around (ten 30 second breaks). That's 9 - 10 minutes where you're not actually burning many calories but your heart rate will still be high so the HRM will continue to add on calories which you're not actually burning.

It's negligible but that could reduce the true calorie burn from any HRM reading by 15% or so, too.....
  • matiij
    matiij Posts: 1
    Options
    http://p90xcalories.com/
    This is the site I use.
  • cassyrawr
    cassyrawr Posts: 8
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to people who weigh more than you do! Here try this.. use the website and input your weight as 170lbs and see the difference... the heavier you are the more you loose... its just how things are. I work out with my dad who is around 300lbs and he drops pounds SUPER FAST because he weighs more so he burns more... Sorry but that is just how it is : /