Avocados

Options
I love avocado but have stayed away lately due to high calorie content (even though I know its a healthy fat).
One of my issues is it seems to go bad quick...how do I prevent it from doing that and maximize my time without scarfing down the entire avocado or is there no way around that?

Replies

• carisparis
    Options
    Sometimes I eat one avocado for breakfast, at my desk. Easy at work, no mess. With a spoon. Yummy. Maybe a little salt, maybe not.
  • KatherineSLim
    KatherineSLim Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this, but apparently submurging the cut avocado in cold water and then storing in an airtight container/plastic wrap/ziploc bag slows the browning process.

Love avo!
  • Melindaleigh12
    Options
    Just splash some lemon juice on it after you cut it in half or cubes or however you eat it, it stays green a few days in the fridge like that!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Do you ever mix it with anything? Skinnytaste.com has a great recipe for avocado egg salad! I think adding it to things will make it last longer...I just freeze my leftover avocado. The other night I made a grilled cheese sammich with wheat bread, turkey, low fat cheddar cheese and avocado....TO DIE FOR!
  • lunalulu2
    lunalulu2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always halve them and put the half with the pit in a ziploc bag in the fridge. It will form like a new "skin" on the cut part but that can easily be removed and the rest of the avocado will be green and yummy. None of the other tricks I have tried have worked so I only cut an avocado when I know I can use at least the half without the pit that day.
  • xcmom
    xcmom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I leave the peel on and just cut off what I need, then I put in a ziplock bag & put in fridge. It gets a little brown where it's been cut but it is still good. I've had them last for more than a week this way.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Just splash some lemon juice on it after you cut it in half or cubes or however you eat it, it stays green a few days in the fridge like that!

I use lemon juice also. Works fairly well.
  • Khaillu
    Khaillu Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always halve them and put the half with the pit in a ziploc bag in the fridge. It will form like a new "skin" on the cut part but that can easily be removed and the rest of the avocado will be green and yummy. None of the other tricks I have tried have worked so I only cut an avocado when I know I can use at least the half without the pit that day.

I do this too. I don't know why but my mom (an enthusiastic maker of guacamole) always swore by keeping the pit in the side of the avocado you are not going to use right away. A pit makes for a happy avocado, I guess.