In general, what BMI would be "best"?

Options
I know BMI is not a perfect measurement because weight depends on muscle mass and other elements, but my question is IN GENERAL.

Based on measurements of my wrist and elbow breadth, I am considered to be medium-to-large framed. I have a very strange build in which I have to be EXTREMELY underweight (BMI of about 16 or lower) for my collarbone to stick out at all. I was remeasured today and my measurements are currently 34-24-36.

I know "healthy weight" is a range, but what BMI do you think is "best" for someone with a medium-to-large frame? My dietician said she would like me to weigh 140-150, which would be a BMI of 21.3 to 22.8. I think I look best at a weight of 125-130, which is a BMI of 19 to 19.8.

I am not at all muscular, so my weight is not higher because of muscle mass (unlike my body-builder brother who has a BMI of about 35, but only 8-9% body fat). I understand that BMI is impacted by muscle vs. fat ratio, but I am probably average in muscle vs. fat/

So, do you think IN GENERAL, a BMI of 21-23 is too high? Do you think a BMI of 19-20 is fine?

Thanks!

Replies

• patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Three days, no responses? :(

Please? I need opinions from more than just myself and my dietician. :)
  • patriot201
    Options
    :cry:Three more days and still no response. :cry:
  • yinyang666
    Options
    I obsess over BMI as well, I obviously aim for the lowest one in the "healthy range" just because, why not? You didn't say how tall you are but your measurements are quite small, a 24 inch waist is a zero in most terms. I'm not sure what your BMI is right now, but I'd say you're pretty damn near perfect. I try to be under 20 BMI if i have to be in a swimsuit, I don't see anything wrong with what you think looks best as long as it is considered healthy for your height.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The Fat2FitRadio guys have a good approach to this. Since BMI is best for statistically large groups of people as opposed to individuals, they suggest working first toward the high end of a normal BMI (ie 24.9) and then switching to measuring body fat Instead of BMI to get to your goal.
  • patriot201
    Options
    Thanks! My BMI is currently 19.8, but I am all flab, no muscle. :o The only regular exercise I do is walking, Pilates (I do use body bands, weighted balls, and hand weights while doing Pilates), and biking/spinning (haven't done this in a while, but need to get back to it!).

I just think I look fat. Maybe I need to tone more. :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, a BMI of 19-20 is fine. It's in the "healthy" category, albeit on the lower end of it. Use MFP's "Tools" tab to see for yourself.

Glad to hear you know the flaw in using BMI as the only indicator. Your brother is ripped!