Exercise Induced Asthma and C25K

Options
Hello friends =)

I'm on Week 2 of Couch to 5k, and it's really difficult for me to breathe while running. Last week was bearable, but this week is completely different. Anyways, here is the question. Should I continue to do Week 2 until I can breathe better or continue the program to Week 3?

Replies

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Are you on meds for your asthma?
  • dianacrum
    dianacrum Posts: 67
    Options
    I had the same problem with my asthma.....I did week 2 over again and week 3 i did an extra day...now my issue is my darn shin splints....I can't even run 2 min without wanting to chop my leg off!! I have tried EVERYTHING short of seeing a doctor to see if there is something more wrong! GL
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i take symbicort <sp?> the steroid inhailer twice daily, morning and night. this controls my asthma for running and allergies. i also have my rescue inhailer right in the cupholder of the treadmill just in case. with this regime i was able to complete c25k and bridge to 10k without any problems. now i don't need the steroid inhailer as my lungs apparently got stronger from running.
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I take my albuterol 20-30 minutes before I run. No problems as long as I remember, but I can tell the difference quickly when I forget.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ditto the Albuterol inhaler before running. Makes a difference.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I have had asthma for 38 years now, and had a real hard time with it. I started our real slow running for 15 min at a time. I have increased it over time, and actually ran a marathon last October. I find that if I take 2 puffs of Albuteral before I start, the natural adrenaline will kick in when i hit about 20 minutes and I can continue to run

Just don't give up and get discouraged. There are still some times during the year that my Asthms acts up, and I cannot run.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Slow down your pace. I started out at 5mph on c25k and had to slow my pace to 4mph tocomplete the program. I still have to use my albuterol, so I tuck it in my bra when I run. After almost a year, I a m up to 5mph for 35 minutes, but hills still make me gasp and by the time I get to the top, I'm humming aas I breathe because my airways are so constricted, but if I slow my pace a bit after the hill I'm ok.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Ditto the Albuterol inhaler before running. Makes a difference.

Going to have to try this.
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I also have trouble with exercise-induced asthma when I run and when I ride. The inhaler before your exercise helps a lot, and I also take mine with me on the run. When doing the C25k, I always listen to my body and lungs and repeat weeks if I feel the need. No sense in pushing too hard and end up in a situation where you can't run or workout at all.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I would do an extra round of week two. Better to repeat a week than harm your body by trying something its simply not ready to do. The whole point of C25K is baby steps. So just work at your own pace and you will get where you are going :)
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Definitely take your albuterol beforehand...and do the week over if you have to. I have had terrible asthma my whole life, but have always played sports, I have definitely had a hard time running, but I am now running 25 minutes straight, nothing stretches my lungs out like runnig does, and it feels great when it's done...

Lots of luck!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor I know my Asthma flairs up more on days that it is humid or really hot out but I would be talking with your doctor good luck to you
  • NegaAshley
    NegaAshley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello again =)

Yes, I use my inhaler about 30 minutes before exercising. I mostly just have issues with endurance, which I suppose is why I'm doing the C25K. I'll take all of your advice into consideration. I think I'll just continue each week until I feel comfortable. Thank you, everyone.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Hello again =)

Yes, I use my inhaler about 30 minutes before exercising. I mostly just have issues with endurance, which I suppose is why I'm doing the C25K. I'll take all of your advice into consideration. I think I'll just continue each week until I feel comfortable. Thank you, everyone.

Ok, with that knowledge I'm betting that you're just plain running too fast for your current fitness. If you can't carry on simple conversation (ie short sentences, like a back-and-forth conversation), then you need to slow down. Speed will come, but it takes time...the more you run, the faster you will naturally get.
  • luv2eduk8
    luv2eduk8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I take my inhaler right before I workout and it helps. If I forget I can't workout at all. I can now run 45 minutes straight as long as I take the inhaler first.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I had the same problem with my asthma.....I did week 2 over again and week 3 i did an extra day...now my issue is my darn shin splints....I can't even run 2 min without wanting to chop my leg off!! I have tried EVERYTHING short of seeing a doctor to see if there is something more wrong! GL

I'm not doing the c25k, but ^^this^^ is my story exactly. I am finally to a point where I don't have to use albuterol before, during, OR after running. I have been trying to nurse my shin splints too. It really helps me to run in the grass instead of track/sidewalk/road. I managed to get 2 miles in that way on Saturday.
  • zoom2
    Options
    I'm not doing the c25k, but ^^this^^ is my story exactly. I am finally to a point where I don't have to use albuterol before, during, OR after running.

I question whether you were truly asthmatic or simply unfit. Asthma doesn't just miraculously go away the longer/more one is active. I have more endurance and fitness, so I can run faster and longer, but my asthma is no better than it was when I first started running 6 years ago. Even the year I logged 1800+ miles my asthma was still an issue.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I'm not doing the c25k, but ^^this^^ is my story exactly. I am finally to a point where I don't have to use albuterol before, during, OR after running.

I question whether you were truly asthmatic or simply unfit. Asthma doesn't just miraculously go away the longer/more one is active. I have more endurance and fitness, so I can run faster and longer, but my asthma is no better than it was when I first started running 6 years ago. Even the year I logged 1800+ miles my asthma was still an issue.

Yes, I have had asthma from childhood (and I was a healthy LITTLE kid) It doesn't affect me as much when my allergies are under control and it has been better since I started running. For some people, you can outgrow it.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Yes, I have had asthma from childhood (and I was a healthy LITTLE kid) It doesn't affect me as much when my allergies are under control and it has been better since I started running. For some people, you can outgrow it.

I just have to chime in and say that my 7-year-old son has exercise induced asthma. He and I did C25K last year because he wanted to run a 5K with me. We used his inhaler about 1/2 hour before we'd go out to run. His asthma is greatly affected by his very severe seasonal allergies. During peak allergy season even the inhaler does not help a lot and he still coughs/wheezes during runs. But at other times of the year we have forgotten to use it before going out to run and he's fine.
  • zoom2
    Options

OK, thanks for the clarification. From your earlier post it sounded like you were crediting running with "curing" you. People don't generally take asthma seriously enough and it can prove deadly when that happens, especially if they deal with attacks when they are active. And the longer people struggle with it and brush it off as something else, the more permanent damage they do to their lungs.