Weight loss doing Low Carb AND High Carb. What works.

Options
Has anyone noticed themselves losing weight faster by cutting out grains? How about still eating alot of grains but still losing weight per week? I honestly never understood why alot of people decide to cut all grains and go low carb.. it sounds really tempting to try.. but man, I LOVE my carbs. If hearing any success stories here that has had success, i'd love to read please!:smile:

P.S - new here and would appreciate anyones response!!

Replies

• MissLaurenR88
    Options
    bump to hear other responses.

as for me - i've lost some weight by just cutting out the obvious - junk food/complex carbs...
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't cut carbs, I add protein.
    It works for me, my goals are to lose fat & retain/gain muscle.
  • MissLaurenR88
    Options
    I don't cut carbs, I add protein.
    It works for me, my goals are to lose fat & retain/gain muscle.

!!
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    I got to 82 lbs at 5'6 eating three portions of wholemeal carbs a day (amongst other things). Obviously that's an impossibly unhealthy weight but I just thought I'd tell people because people seem to think that eating carbs is completely detrimental to weight loss.
    Probs best not to take any sort of advice from me food wise though.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    They both work. It's almost as though carbohydrate intake is irrelevant.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I do eat a high carb diet, mostly whole grains and low surgar. If I did not my carbs I would bonk durning training quickly.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed themselves losing weight faster by cutting out grains? How about still eating alot of grains but still losing weight per week? I honestly never understood why alot of people decide to cut all grains and go low carb.. it sounds really tempting to try.. but man, I LOVE my carbs. If hearing any success stories here that has had success, i'd love to read please!:smile:

P.S - new here and would appreciate anyones response!!

I cut out extra calories, and balanced my diet. It worked great, and I still got to eat happy food!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the confusion, if you are lifting weights, google "carb backloading".

And if you're worried about "starvation mode", google "intermediate fasting".

And if you think it's impossible to lose weight by doing no exercise, lifting no weights and eating only 500 calories a day and that doing so will result in you being "skinny fat", then speak to anyone who has had oesophageal cancer. I've seen someone close to me eat next to nothing (read: baby portions) for 6 months and end up not being "skinny fat" but just plain skinny to the point of boney with a concaved abdomen.

Makes you want to give up and eat the fridge. :D

That said, if you want to look good, you know what you have to do...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I concentrate on protein and the carbs just come with the territory. My minimum target is 1g per lean body mass, which for me is around 90-100g, still too low. I aim for about 130-150g protein on a daily basis. I weigh 154 right now so that's right at 1g per pound of actual body weight.... Helps maintain muscle and keep me fuller, longer.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I concentrate on protein and the carbs just come with the territory.

i agree.. focus more on protein and if you go over on carbs it's not that big of a deal.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Both low carb and high carb will work fine as long as your calorie intake is correct. If it isn't, then neither will work.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Both low carb and high carb will work fine as long as your calorie intake is correct. If it isn't, then neither will work.

exactly.. however adequate fats and protein must be consumed on a daily basis.
  • sophia0021
    Options
    I'm just really getting into a higher focus on a six pack abs diet of sorts. For years I'd go back and forth between the two. Lately I've been reading stuff such as ezinearticles.com What-Is-a-Good-Six-Pack-Abs-Diet for better ideas and to be quite honest, I'm in the lower carb camp now. Can't cut them out entirely-love my pasta!
    Hope this helps!