Replies

• BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe for Alton Brown's "Buff Smoothie:"

4 ounces plain, low-fat soy milk 4 ounces acai, grape, or pomegranate juice
    4 ounces frozen banana 4 ounces frozen strawberries
    4 ounces frozen blueberries 4 ounces frozen peaches

I find it to be very versatile, because I change the ingredients around, just keeping the basic ratio of 1 part "milk," 1 part juice, 4 parts fruits and/or veggies (I'm a big fan of spinach in my smoothies, and kale when we have it on hand).
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    my fave = 1c frozen banana slices
    1/2c frozen blueberries
    3 or 6 oz greek yogurt
    1c skim milk

its the consistancy of a milkshake and so yummy!!! :)
  • digitaltara
    digitaltara Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    where can I purchase the whey powder... Or what other protein powder yall recomend

I like Any Whey protein powder by Optimum Nutrition - it is unflavored, and doesn't have any artificial sweeteners in it. (They give me migraines, so this is a huge selling point for me!) You can find it on amazon.
  • jgilbey
    jgilbey Posts: 79
    Options
    My morning smoothie is veggies and fruit:
    1 1/2 cups of chopped kale
    1 small banana
    small handful of blueberries (I keep a bag in my freezer)
    1/2 cup of plain yogurt
    1/2 cup of skim milk
    1 tsp ground flax

Looks awful, smells great and is full of goodness. This amount would be enough for 2 people. I sip on it all morning long and it keeps me going til lunch.

I chop up 1/2 cup kale into my smoothies too. 1 smoothie gives you your whole day of Vit C & A
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I have a green monster almost every morning. super duper healthy and you really can't taste the spinach

1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use the vanilla)
    2 cups baby spinach
    1 cup frozen mixed fruit
    1 tbs ground flax seed
    1 tbs honey

first put in the milk, then the flax, spinach, fruit then honey in the blender... otherwise the honey will sink to the bottom and the flax will float on top. blend until smooth.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • 8kidsmom
    8kidsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    My everyday smoothie is: 1/2 c orange juice, fresh is best, 1/2 c plain yogurt, 1 frozen banana and 5 cups spinach, 1/2 tsp. vanilla. I also all 1 TBSP of spirulina powder. Very green, but you can increase the fruit and decrease the green if you like.

As far as juice, carrot, apple, celery juice is very good.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    1/2 c peanut butter
    1 banana
    1/2 c milk
    1/2 c spinach
    2 scoops protein
    ice

I love peanut butter :heart:
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    also 1c banana, 1/2c strawberry, 1c orange juice = yummy!
  • LauraJeanStewart
    Options
    Here's a great antioxidant rich way to start your day, 1/4 cup of each fresh or frozen strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, 1/4 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice, a handfull of spinach and I add a scoop of soy protein powder that I get at Trader Joes, you can add a little water if it needs to be thinned out. No better way to start the day.
  • Caro1991
    Caro1991 Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks everyone... It all sounds so yummy :) cant waot to give it a try. Am no a picky person and dont care what.food looks like as long as I like it. Havent tried kale so I cant wait to give.it a try :D
  • Caro1991
    Options
    I love love love an Orange+Vanilla yogurt+ ice/or milk (can add protein powder if you'd like)... around 170 cal w/o powder!!! MmmMmmm
    Will give it a try sounds yummy... Thanks. Oh would u recomend it better.with the ice or milk? Am not a milk fan so can u taste it?

I actually like it better with ice.. with the milk I had to put it back in the freeze for a little while to make it shake-like.
    I will give it a try :) thank u so much... Am a big fan of ice so if o can get crushed in anything I know I will love it :)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This is the shake DW & I had this morning:

Shake.jpg
  • Caro1991
    Options
    where can I purchase the whey powder... Or what other protein powder yall recomend

I like Any Whey protein powder by Optimum Nutrition - it is unflavored, and doesn't have any artificial sweeteners in it. (They give me migraines, so this is a huge selling point for me!) You can find it on amazon.
    ok thanks
  • Caro1991
    Options

Shake.jpg
    very intresting, never seen a shake with lettuce thanks
  • BlueberryBacon
    Options
    We have a Ninja blender that works almost like I juicer from what I understand (but keeps the pulp of the veggies). It came with a phenomenal book with great tasting recipes. If there is a particular type of smoothie (with certain fruits or veggies, or low- carb, high protein, etc) just message me and I can share a couple of them. :)
  • LordBezoar
    Options
    And this one was good, too:

Shake.jpg
  • LordBezoar
    Options

Shake.jpg
    very intresting, never seen a shake with lettuce thanks

It is actually a really good practice to rotate your greens. A lot of people just use Spinach or Kale every day. You get different nutrients from different greens, so we will typically rotate through Spinach, Kale, Romaine, Red Leaf, Collard Greens, Chard, etc.
  • jennifersoos
    Options
    Kale
    cucumbers
    romaine lettuce
    green apples
    pears
    lemons

Green juice and so good! I make juice on Sunday and freeze a drink in mason jars to drink for breakfast during the week! Love it!
  • atawhai
    atawhai Posts: 2
    Options
    SUPER JUICER

I like:

apple - one BIG
    a couple of carrots
    ginger- i keep in the freeze then grate in, it's easier and cheaper:)
    loads of celery

You can water it down or as a tasty kick start:)

You can also subsitute for tasty beetroots in place of celery(it's sweeter than you think)

Also if you do the apple seperately you can use the veggie pulp for a good source of additional fibre in soups:)