Do you log your exercise calories?

Options
Right now I can't afford a heart rate monitor or anything that tracks my heart rate/calories burned so I am worried I might be over estimating my calories. So I haven't been logging them, so therefore I won't over eat.

I'm just curious as to how many people log their exercises / exercise calories.

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise but only if it over 30 minutes and I get sweaty. so I still burn calories walking the dog or cleanning the house that do not get logged.
  • LinaLuele
    Options
    I log my calories, but not like "walking to the mailbox" I log my exercise like running for 10 minutes and walking for 30 :)

Its nice to see the calories you burned kinda like a reward :) I always underestimate my exercise so that way i know i wont eat.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You don't need a HRM to track calories, take your pulse at a few random intervals during your workout for 15sec , multiply by 4 then average them to get your HR over a certain period of time. works everytime
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    There's a wide range between 0 and mfp's estimate.

I usually log 30-45 minutes for a 2 hour class.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    No i usually dont. I bet friends who look at my diary wonder why i never exercise LOL.
  • catcrawf3
    Options
    Yes! i always log mine because then i get a more accurate reading when it estimates how much i'll weigh in 5 weeks. I downloaded a good pedometer app for my iPhone so when i go for a run, go shopping or just go for a walk if i've over eaten i can see how many calories i've burned which is pretty handy :D.

14455302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Only when I sweat... For years I would "workout" when "dieting" and now I am making sure that nothing will go into quotes again! So when I turn red, sweat and need to breathe harder, it is exercise. Otherwise it is just me living my everyday...
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    No I don't log them on MFP, although I do record them on my workout sheet. I eat slighlty over my TDEE & use the exercise as my deficit & that way I don't get into trying to cram loads of cals in after exercise. I have maintained for roughly nine months this way, whilst slowly changing my body composition from 14% bf to just over 10%. I would like to bulk but can't deal with the extra weight associated witha traditional bulk:cry:

Russ
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I log them but I don't eat them back.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I log them and eat them back, but I use a HRM, and only intentional exercise, not washing my dishes or making dinner. I've seen people post that they use what MFP gives them and cut it in half just to be safe so they don't overeat.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I log them just for my own reference :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log them. If you're concerned about overestimated the number of calories burned you can always overtype the MFP default number. For example, if you log 30 minutes of "aerobics, general" and MFP's default is 190 calories, you reduce it by a certain percentage or a straight number.

To maintain the same calorie deficit everyday you should eat back at least some of your extra earned calories.