17 day diet

Options
Has anyone tried the 17 day diet plan?

Replies

• mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm on the second day now. Not sure if I'm loving the idea or not because I am a firm believer in eating more to lose more and that you can screw up your metabolism by eating too little.

That being said, I lost .9 pounds between yesterday and today. The debate goes on in my head though, wondering if I'm screwing up my metabolism for these 17 days.
  • mangobadango
    Options
    bump...I'm interested in responses too.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Despite the plan's title,you will not lose weight quickly and keep it off after being on this plan for only 17 days.

Also, Moreno’s weightloss theory of metabolic adjustment to burn fat is based on misrepresented studies.

I suggest MFP. It's worked for me and bazillions of other people.
  • offdutyguy
    Options
    what is it??????
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I lost about 55-55lbs on the 17 day diet - started Oct 24, 2011. It works for me because i'm just not a "moderation" kind of girl and it is easier for me to cut things out cold turkey than to try and manage them. It got me off carbs, sugars etc. and eating clean and healthy foods. Very, very good for that.

Now that I'm exercising more, the weight isn't coming off as quickly surprisingly.. probably because I'm cheating a bit or am not eating enough calories (something I'm only learning about now).
    Before I mainly did cycle one (without cheating).. but now I'm thinking cycle two may provide a bit higher calories and some whole grains to mix it up.

I've tried WW, Atkins, HCG, tons of various other things- but this is the only thing that worked..because I wasn't trying to find a way to fit carbs into my diet - which I am apparently highly sensitive to.

My doctor and various people I know in the health industry have said it is very reasonable. I think it works out to about 1500 calories a day, but you can really vary that depending on which cycle you are on and quantities of protein etc.
  • Danielle_2013
    Options
    Despite the plan's title,you will not lose weight quickly and keep it off after being on this plan for only 17 days.

Also, Moreno’s weightloss theory of metabolic adjustment to burn fat is based on misrepresented studies.

I lost 55 pounds in about 5 months.. I actually think it is a great plan - and I'm combining it with MFP.
  • mangobadango
    Options

I'm doing the plan along with MFP and actually am planning on gaining a few pounds back but am just curious to see how much weight I do lose. And I figure if I do the first cycle, then maintain for a few weeks then go onto the next cycle and so on and so forth then I shouldn't gain all of the weight back.

But I do agree, you need to go into any eating plan that is similar to this with eyes wide open. There are no easy fixes. If you aren't living the healthy lifestyle before going into it, you won't be able to keep it up after.
  • mangobadango
    Options
    what is it??????

It is basically a diet plan that cuts out most carbs and sugars for 17 days then slowly reintroduces whole grains and fruit sugars during two additional 17 day cycles.

The calorie count is extremely low for the first 17 days, less than 1200. But maybe I just didn't eat enough protein or food yesterday. You can see what I'm eating in my diary.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My cousin had great success (60 lbs lost) on it and has kept it off. For me it was too restricting, at least in the beginning so I never made it past the first 17 days.
  • mangobadango
    Options
    My cousin had great success (60 lbs lost) on it and has kept it off. For me it was too restricting, at least in the beginning so I never made it past the first 17 days.

I have a feeling I'm going to be "cheating" during the first 17 days. My lifestyle just doesn't allow so much restriction 100% of the time. What convinced me to do it is that my dad's friend lost weight even when cheating on it.

The whole philosophy of the book is introducing healthy eating to those who don't know how to eat healthy. He mentions several times in the book giving up pizza and fast food and chips. I hate reading those things because I already gave those up months ago.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My dad was doing it, and recommended it to me. I just smiled and said ok, I'll look into it, but I didn't actually try it. He had no idea how much weight I'd lost since I haven't seen him since August! He seemed to like it, though. I'll have to ask him if he's still doing it. His coworkers had success. Looks like it gets you to eat healthier if nothing else!
  • mangobadango
    Options
    My dad was doing it, and recommended it to me. I just smiled and said ok, I'll look into it, but I didn't actually try it. He had no idea how much weight I'd lost since I haven't seen him since August! He seemed to like it, though. I'll have to ask him if he's still doing it. His coworkers had success. Looks like it gets you to eat healthier if nothing else!

Funny, my dad was the one to tell me to do it. I kept whining about how slow my weight loss was. Then he told me about it, and kept telling me about it. His boss did it with his wife and had amazing results.

Finally he offered to buy the book for me. I have read most of the book. I disagree with a lot of his philosophy, but am hoping I can maintain whatever loss I have during the plan. Like I said previously, I was already eating healthy before but just felt like my body needed a jump start again.
  • Danielle_2013
    Options

Funny, my dad was the one to tell me to do it. I kept whining about how slow my weight loss was. Then he told me about it, and kept telling me about it. His boss did it with his wife and had amazing results.

Finally he offered to buy the book for me. I have read most of the book. I disagree with a lot of his philosophy, but am hoping I can maintain whatever loss I have during the plan. Like I said previously, I was already eating healthy before but just felt like my body needed a jump start again.

Agreed! I disagree with much of the philosophy and how the expectation is that overweight people are eating a bunch of junk food and don't know what a veggie is.. but it still worked for me once I got past some of the stupid parts!
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What I do like about it is it limits carbs and sugars which I am VERY sensitive to. I'm only a few days into it without any problems. I actually feel pretty good. I tend to be a binge carb and sugar junkie! So minimally reducing the bad foods will help me eat cleaner. I am eating some fruit in the morning. So I guess I'm "mostly" following the plan. We'll see how it goes....
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have been following it for almost six months now and have been successful.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    We just got internet back, so I can finally reply! I called my dad and he said he didn't do it 100%, but he did lose some weight, and he's kept it off. Didn't tell me how much though. Then he went into "you should look into it, it might do you some good." I told him I already eat those foods, and he said "yeah, but probably too much of it." I just said "yeah, maybe". It's killing me not to tell him how much weight I've lost! Good luck to you guys, if you do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    What happens the 18th day?

Diets are temporary. If you aren't going to eat and live that diet the rest of your life, you'll gain weight back. This has been ongoing for decades now.

Learn to control your caloric intake/output. That's really all weight loss/gain/maintenance is all about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    After watching the video on the website, I really don't see the big deal about this "diet". It appears they are just focusing on calorie restriction and exercise with a catchy title. Yes it works because you are essentially doing what MFP promotes, eating at a caloric deficit and exercising regularly.

I do realize that the "diet" is in phases and not just 17 days. I'm going to assume that each phase is 17 days? The video talked of restricting food deemed "unhealthy". I say this because of a somewhat negative reference to cookies. That, to me, is where this "diet" fails. There is no reason you can't enjoy any food you choose as long as you are able to control how much of it you eat. Stay within your calorie deficit, get sufficient protein to help control hunger and loss of LBM, fats are essential and should be a focus on healthy fats and, lastly, carbs are not evil.
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for info. I've done the diet for 6 days and really feel good.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The first 17 days is mainly lean protein, veggies, fruit, and probiotics. The next 17 days you add more items. So on and so forth. My problem was last the first 17 days lol.