Do you take your physical ability for granted?

Options

Replies

• reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i used to. until i had a stroke and became a quadriplegic for a while. some of you know my story, most don't. i was paralyzed from the neck down. i was conscious the entire time, but couldn't move. now i can run a 10k. it's a super-long story, but just know that i absolutely don't take it for granted anymore.

if you're interested in what happened, let me know. i'm happy to share, just don't wanna hijack the thread!

This is amazing. You should post a thread topic under 'Success Stories' because that is a success story if I ever heard one.
  • sherry98008
    sherry98008 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try not to. Then I see my six-year-old son who was born missing part of his right leg, and most of his left leg and needs a prosthesis just to walk. He doesn't let it slow him down and he's kicking butt in Kung Fu, too!
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    My VERY healthy, VERY fit, VERY happy, wealthy, lovable Dad had a stroke in March of 2009. He was left with left-sided paralysis and every day is a struggle for him. He's on so many meds, he has no muscle mass left, he is miserable & depressed, his bank account has been drained from the consistent physical therapy & home health. Not to mention no income & bills that he was able to afford before the stroke. He can't even put a T-shirt on by himself, let alone drive his cars or change his sheets. Each and every one of us take so much for granted on a daily basis. He is the last person I thought something like this could happen to. Our lives have been forever changed just by one single event. The day my Daddy almost lost his life, I gained a new responsibily of caretaker. <3
    This made me cry a little I hope you Dad recovers a little more each day. I realy needed reminding today that I am very lucky that I have only minor damage and a little memory loss (little stuff like I cannot read music any more or spell very well) and that I need to take better care of myself. or I am going have another stroke and like so many others I may not be so lucky next time. Once agane much health to your dad x
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I use to, then I learned a lesson. I was in an accident that broke many bones and had to relearn how to do everything, I never thought I was ever going to race again. I cried at my the finish line of the first race that I was able to complete after the accident in joy that I was able to do it again. Now 17years later, I am still very proud of where I have come in my life and the things that I can do.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

I see it on an everyday basis and appreciate how fortunate I am just to be able to move the way I want and control my own physical body. Just reminding everyone that your "looks" can be improved on with patience. Don't take for granted what you can physically do now because it only takes a second for it to change. It's better to be fit and overweight so for those who don't want to exercise while trying to lose weight, realize that one day it could be reality.

no of course not, how could i take for granted something i've had my entire life? Might as well ask if I take the air for granted, or breathing for granted, or having two arms and two legs for granted, or the sun for granted....

everyone takes everything for granted until they're faced with someone that doesn't have it. When I was in nursing school I had clinicals in a nursing home and realized how fortunate i was not to be old

when i slept in my car after the army i was appreciative to just not having to wake up at 4am

you don't realize what you have until it's gone
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Wow. your stories are all amazing! Thank you so much for your willingness to share them here. I am grateful every day for my health and ability, and the health and abilities of my spouse and children. Sometimes it feels very fragile. Your stories are inspirational, heroic even! I'm awed.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I worked in a nursing home for several years.

I don't take my physical ability, my mental acuity, my vision, or my hearing for granted anymore ...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I used to be a pretty good tennis player (got recruited to play at some colleges) and now can't serve because of rotator cuff issues. I also have to spend a half hour icing my whole arm when done hitting. But I realize that I can still play and move, just not like I used to and am grateful for that because it is such fun. You make a good point in reminding us that for many, it is something they can no longer do and we ought to appreciate it more. Cheers!

I am with you. I had surgery in both shoulders due to rotator cuff tears, and I also developed a frozen shoulder after my last surgery. It took me 18 months to recuperate from this last problem. No more tennis for me, and I was also a pretty good one. My arm hurts for 3 days if I play, and I can't do any upper body exercises due to the pain.

I decided to accept my limitations, switch gears, and keep pushing. I kept my ballet classes (even with torn meniscus and OA in both knees), my fitness classes, weight lifting, and Jillian's DVDs (with some modifications). And I am grateful that at 68 years old I can do all of this.

I remember how limited I was after my shoulder surgeries so I respect my body and I appreciate that my body responds to me in kind. I am strong and determined, even if I will never look buff and “toned” like some of younger ladies posting in the MFP database.

To the OP and all the members thank you for your posting. I needed that!
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I love the inspiring viewpoints I'm getting to read on this thread!

I do not take my physical ability for granted. I watched my construction worker/lumberjack/mill worker husband collapse on the floor because of a back injury and go into a wheelchair for just over two years. I watched him punching his legs in frustration, trying to make them work again. I watched him fight from the chair to a walker to forearm crutches... I appreciate his strength and willpower beyond measure and I appreciate the fact that I was able to keep my physical abilities, because if I didn't have the strength in my legs that he lacks we wouldn't be the incredible team we are.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I USED to till a car accident left me in a wheel chair for 6 months , 5 reconstructive surgeries and 18 months in a walking cast just to get to the point where I could WALK. Now 10 years later Im out playing softball , snowboarding and jogging ... But its taken a long time to get back to this point and I still feel it alot of the time.. but the discomfort of stiff joints is still better than the depression brought on by the lack of mobility

awesome recovery! i can imagine the recovery was very painfull and trying , great job man.. there was no failure..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    i used to. until i had a stroke and became a quadriplegic for a while. some of you know my story, most don't. i was paralyzed from the neck down. i was conscious the entire time, but couldn't move. now i can run a 10k. it's a super-long story, but just know that i absolutely don't take it for granted anymore.

if you're interested in what happened, let me know. i'm happy to share, just don't wanna hijack the thread!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I've thrown my back out too many times to take my current physical ability for granted.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

I see it on an everyday basis and appreciate how fortunate I am just to be able to move the way I want and control my own physical body. Just reminding everyone that your "looks" can be improved on with patience. Don't take for granted what you can physically do now because it only takes a second for it to change. It's better to be fit and overweight so for those who don't want to exercise while trying to lose weight, realize that one day it could be reality.

no of course not, how could i take for granted something i've had my entire life? Might as well ask if I take the air for granted, or breathing for granted, or having two arms and two legs for granted, or the sun for granted....

everyone takes everything for granted until they're faced with someone that doesn't have it. When I was in nursing school I had clinicals in a nursing home and realized how fortunate i was not to be old

when i slept in my car after the army i was appreciative to just not having to wake up at 4am

you don't realize what you have until it's gone
    The point is that many people are dealt a better hand then they think they have. If they have the ability to physically do something rather than complain about "I can't do a push up, so I won't" or "I hate exercising, therefore I won't" and choose to waste it, hopefully this thread gives them insight to how fortunate they may really be. That's all.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - after I tore the meniscus in my knee I kept saying " I just want to be able to wear heels again"...... Now 3 1/2 months later I said to my physio " I just want to be able to power walk again" - oh my how we are being humbled......

I was also doing leg presses at the gym with no added weights - down from pressing 150kg's - and I felt like I should have a sign on the machine saying "I am injured and in rehabilitation".....

I now appreciate everything I can still do - and celebrate every little step forward in my rehabilitation - but also know that with stage 4 osteoarthritis I will get to a point where I need to accept that there are certain things I can not do anymore ;-(
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I admit I used to ignore it in the past until I reached my highest weight wherein I had a hard time walking because my legs gets sore & painful because of my weight. Now I learn to appreciate every little things that my body can do.

I remember one participant in a reality show here about 3 years ago, he was a man in his late 50's to early 60's who only has one leg but guess what, he is a marathon runner & I think he won several medals for both national & international paralympics. I love it when I see people like that, it makes me get off my butt & telling to myself "Now you don't have any reason to make up valid excuses. If that man can do it, so why can't you?"
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great story and so very true, definately puts things in perspective. Thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    My 90-yr old grandmother - who has always been very active and healthy (and usually assumed to be 20 years younger than she is) - had one leg amputated at the knee this January. Very unexpectedly. I run or walk every day and when I feel tired or sore, I still thank my lucky stars that I have all my body parts and they all function well. My grandma is already doing almost everything she did before, but now with a prosthesis and it takes much much longer, but she refuses to give up her mobility just because she lost part of a leg. Man, I HOPE I never forget that kind of determination and perseverance and that I have some of it! As she said, "Amputation? Honey, that's a whole lot better than the alternative (of not being alive)!! Whack it off and let's move forward. And don't forget, you only need to knit me one sock at a time from now on." It made me laugh, but really, I don't know how she maintains such a positive outlook.

WOW I was touched by this post that I almost cried after reading it. I love your grandma's positive outlook, how I wish I can be like her.

By the way ninerbuff, I love your post. Thanks for reminding us about our blessings which often times we tend to ignore.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

i'll post the link instead. it's not the WHOLE story, but the much abbreviated one!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/365653-not-new-just-inspired
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I was almost killed in a tornado back in 99. I have had many health issues since then and over 30 surgeries since then. I know that I am lucky to be here (a neighbor two streets over from me died that night along with 43 other people) as I think about how close I was to death and how close I have come 3 times since then with the health problems this brought on and how it is amazing that I made it through all of those to be able to father my girls. So I take nothing for granted and I tell my girls every day I love them and give them tons of hugs and kisses as I know all too well that any day could be your last day here on earth. I am dropping weight so that I can do all I can to be here for them as long as I can. I want to see them grow up and have kids of their own, especially since my father never got to see them as he didn't fight his health issues.