Question about COFFEE

Options
Lyra89
Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
So, I've only started drinking coffee quite recently, and really like it. I either take it black, or with a little soy/almond milk and stevia.

I could drink it all day, but limit myself to one in the mornings!

Question: Does it have any benefits? Does it aid weight loss?

All the thinnest girls I know are huge coffee drinkers and drink it all day long, with full fat milk and white sugar too!

What are the PROS and CONS of coffee and how much could I get away with drinking?

Replies

• doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    honestly the only CONs i've found for coffee id the full fat creams and sugar added to it, and that it can dehydrate you. the PRO that it boosts yous metabolism.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this! :smile:
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I believe black coffee is an appetite suppressant... and it has other health benefits, too.

Of course, too much caffeine can also be dangerous.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    The pros are it keeps me from killing people early in the morning. The cons? I can't think of any.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have also heard it lowers blood sugar (black of course) so I drink a cup a day! I am also waiting for all the poo pooers on this site to comment....
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The pros are it keeps me from killing people early in the morning. The cons? I can't think of any.

the con is, sometimes people need to be killed
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    30m7p5g.jpg

The only big cons is that it can dehydrate your body and leach some calcium from your bones. So drink water in between cups and make sure you are getting enough calcium from other sources.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How is coffee going to dehydrate you? How many pots a day are you drinking?
  • Jules141C
    Options

HA! I couldn't agree more!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

the con is, sometimes people need to be killed

HILARIOUS!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It has great benefits for me and those around me. If I have coffee I'm less likely to kill people! :) Sometimes in the afternoon when I'm drooping I'll put cold coffee, protein powder (chocolate or vanilla) and a dash of half and half into the blender just long enough to blend it. Then I pour it over ice and have a high protein iced coffee.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    acidic things like coffee tore up my bladder, not good for us with IC.
    it also is awful for your teeth.
    but not too much is bad, if you have a cup every day it prolly wouldn't do much harm.
    just don't drink tons of it, or your teeth and bladder may be unhappy
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options

It's a diuretic, which causes you to pee more, which can dehydrate you if you are not drinking enough water.
    Simple science.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ^^^HA! This...Can't add anything more. It's perfect.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It can do something as simple as give you the caffeine jitters to problems sleeping to, in excess, stomach ulcers and gal stones.
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    coffee with cream and sugar is one thing, coffee in its purest drinkable form (black no sugar) is another. It's caffeine so like any other tea or caffinated drink out there, makes you pee more and lose water weight just a bit, not all.

Same effects of drinking tons of water. But when you drink water you dont get dehydrated as fast with caffeine.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's a diuretic, which causes you to pee more, which can dehydrate you if you are not drinking enough water.
    Simple science.
    You need to consume about 700mg of caffeine for any kind of diuretic effect to be seen. The amount of water you would consume drinking that much caffeine (roughly 60 oz) would negate any diuretic effect. Also, regular consumption of caffeine makes a person immune to the diuretic effect.

This myth has been debunked time after time, it really needs to just die already.

As for coffee's benefits, let's see, reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes (consumption of 6 cups a day,) reduced risk of stroke, heart arrhythmia, dementia, Alzheimer's, and hypertension.
  • BAtobe
    BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Simple science.
    You need to consume about 700mg of caffeine for any kind of diuretic effect to be seen. The amount of water you would consume drinking that much caffeine (roughly 60 oz) would negate any diuretic effect. Also, regular consumption of caffeine makes a person immune to the diuretic effect.

This myth has been debunked time after time, it really needs to just die already.

As for coffee's benefits, let's see, reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes (consumption of 6 cups a day,) reduced risk of stroke, heart arrhythmia, dementia, Alzheimer's, and hypertension.

Nice, I knew I loved coffee for a reason. :heart:
    I can't drink it all day though, Im sensitive to the jitters. 1 cup and everybody lives, haha.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love coffee. I will not give it up but I will not replace the 8-16 ounces I have for water. I still drink at least my 8 glasses a day.

Nothing wrong with coffee in moderation :)