Working out at home - shoes or no shoes?

Options
Just wondering what everyone thinks. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred workout videos and they are all wearing shoes, but I don't like to. I find my feet hurt by the end of it. Maybe it's just my shoes, but I still like to workout barefoot.

Is that bad? Are shoes better? What do you think?

Replies

• Jennd3098
    Jennd3098 Posts: 30
    Options
    I do P90X, Les Mills and a few other Beachbody programs and I wear Vibrams, those 5 finger shoes!!! I was hesitant at first but I actually really like them. The only time I wear a running shoe is for more of the cardio stuff...but not all the time. I love my Vibrams
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I pretty much never workout at home in shoes. I have better balance and am more stable without shoes. I did have to work up to doing harder workouts barefoot, but now I can't imagine wearing shoes for most home workouts. My ankles are so much happier working out in bare feet than they ever were in shoes.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have never worn shoes through any of the JM DVDs I've done. Works better for me!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do Turbo Fire and lots of HIIT workouts with jumping and never wear shoes!
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    No shoes
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    barefoot. For sure.
  • bf43285
    bf43285 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity and by the recovery week I was getting burned out and needed a change. I was getting so lazy and literally had to make myself get started and would quit after the workout. I also had horrible knee pain. So, I decided on day to work without shoes (mainly cause I was too tied to put on shoes) and it has made a world of difference! I am a no shoe kind of girl now!
  • lpekny
    lpekny Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I prefer no shoes as well!!
  • OperationGetFIT
    Options
    Definetly with shoes except if I'm doing yoga. I find I have better balance and grip with shoes.
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    Depends what I'm doing. Stepping or other I will do with no shoes. Treadmill I wear shoes to absorb some of the impact because not doing so was starting to have a negative effect on me.
  • mkat9266
    mkat9266 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred & I did it barefoot. I also do Tae Bo barefoot. I just find it easier to keep my balance barefoot.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I use to workout barefoot, but it really started to hurt my feet so I went out and bought a pair of NIKE Free, and it has made a world of difference!!
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have New Balance minimalists for working out...it's like wearing a sock with a hard bottom. They are vibram bottoms and are WONDERFUL. I plan on rewarding myself with a pair of actual vibrams (The toe shoes) later on after I lose 20 pounds =D
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bare-footing it
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I always wear shoes.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've tried it both ways and find I have better balance and traction with shoes :)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am still recovering from an ankle injury and I used to wear shoes during home workouts (intervals and elliptical) with arch supports (and even an ankle support). But my ankle was not getting better. Now I wear yoga socks (toe socks with little plastic grips on the bottom) during my workouts, and I'm never going back! I love it, I feel more stable and connected to the earth, and my ankle recovers quicker after workouts.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Barefoot. I hate wearing shoes more than necessary!
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I wear shoes except when I do yoga. I have some knee and foot issues and if I don't wear shoes, my feet and knees get all messed up.
  • Patty_Petz
    Options
    Treadmill & Weight work = shoes
    Yoga & Workout DVDs = no shoes

Besides, when I'm in down dog position, I can see if it's time for a pedi!! :laugh:

Happy Exercising!!