What Do You Spend On Groceries Per Week?

Options
124»

Replies

• sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    $160-$210. This is only food, no cleaning supplies etc. It's also beer and wine. It's ridiculous. Family of 4.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    We spend around $500 a month average for a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids 11 and under). We buy on sale, in bulk, and have a big pantry full of special buys. We shop fruit and veggies that are in season, and almost exclusively buy from discount stores like Aldis, Maines, and Sams. We do not eat a lot of meat and cook from scratch most of the time. We don't go out to eat except on a RARE occasion. I could get it lower if I needed to, but we have been 'splurging' on healthier items and fresh produce. I tend to make meals that have lots of leftovers, like chili, casseroles, and soup- and I try to never throw anything away. That price doesn't include the pets (4 cats and a husky), paper/cleaner products, or diapers.
  • pippiagain
    Options
    USDA states that a family of 4 would cost per month:
    Thrifty Plan: $567
    Low Cost: $733
    Moderate: $911
    Liberal $1107
    This is why families on food stamps can afford steak, and I cannot. (At least in this state).
    This is food only, not laundry detergent, TP, napkins, etc.
    Personally, I think anyone with half a brain can feed a family on a whole lot less. I feed my husband, myself, and my brother (who lives with me) on a budget of $350-400 per month. And this includes paper products and detergents. I do pack lunches for hubby, brother eats one meal a day at the restaurant where he works. I buy our beef and pork on the hoof, bake our bread, and use very few prepared food. I buy in quantity and repackage. When I do buy bread, I use the day old store where it is a dollar per loaf for most breads. I only buy who grain greads, so I do not use the .69 per loaf supermarket sales for the nutritionless stuff they call bread. Desserts are outrageously expensive, so I make any desserts from scratch-cookies, cakes, pies, eclaires, ice cream. I also have a garden and can or freeze veggies, and use as many veggies as possible when they are in season. Although retired now, I did this (and much more of it!) while raising 4 boys. But, I loved doing it. This is not for everyone, for sure!
  • kristinakingsley
    Options
    I spend 175-225 a week for a family of 5, buy I have 3 boys that eat like crazy. I do buy alot of veggies and fruit too.
  • TempeB
    TempeB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh goody, here's a chance to use the detailed records that I compulsively collect (I enter data from grocery receipts into my personal finance computer program).

I'm single, live in the DC area (very high prices), shop at Giant (which is more expensive than the discount grocery stores), and am not as disciplined as I could be. On the other hand, I cook a lot from scratch, but then also I have food "stockpiling" tendencies and buy more than I eat.
    Monthly average is $236
    Dairy 33
    Non-rx meds/vitamins 32
    Snacks and desserts 31
    Frozen foods 25
    Meat, poultry, seafood 25
    Soda pop 17
    Fresh vegs 11
    Bakery 7
    Prepared food 9
    Home supplies 6
    Canned food 5
    Fresh Fruit 5
    Misc 5
    Condiments 3
    Paper supplies 4
    Toiletries 4
    Sales tax 4

I'm also averaging $80 a month for eating out, which is either very cheap Chinese carryout or else the occasional sushi splurge.

Dairy is my favorite and my downfall, mostly milk for my breakfast, Yoplaits for lunch brown bags, and cheese that I adore.

I also spend much more on soda pop in cash, usually one or two Diet Cokes a day from the machine at work (which fortunately is only $1.35).
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I spend about $15 - $20 a week on myself.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? Including toiletries? All food?? Everything??

Nah, I live at home with my parents; going to school I cannot pickup a full time job. I buy things my younger siblings would not eat.
  • womaninashoe6
    Options
    $585 a month for a family of 8 (all kids pretty big eaters) includes everything (cleaning, hygiene, pet food (two dogs) and toiletries). I know it technically be done cheaper, but I am a homeschool mom and don't have the time or patience for clipping coupons or driving to a bunch of places to make good on all the deals. I hit 2 maybe 3 stores (Aldi, Costco, Target). The gas spent driving around in a 15 passenger van makes expedience a must. My hat is off to all of you who are able to do it cheaper.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    200 - 300 a week. My boyfriend, our daughter and I.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I feed a family of 5 on $120/week. That includes everything from fruits and veggies to meats and diapers and cleaning products.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    About $650-700 a month for a family of 6. It also depends on season, spring ans summer all of the fruits and veggies are dirt cheap and I cook a lot more. Winter its more and the family is inside and eating all the time.
    We have 3 boys and 1 girl, me and the mister, who loves eating out.
  • rockchalk956
    rockchalk956 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you're a student, Sam's (possibly Costco) has an annual student discount to where you only pay $40/year instead of the usual $100/year.

YIKES! Our Sam's regular membership is only $40. We live in the Midwest.

I'm in Kansas. Hmm...
  • pippiagain
    Options
    That's amazing-good job!! I need lessons!!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Im a couponer, so i spend about $50 - $75 a week on food AND hba items. Im feeding 3 people regularly but often give stuff to my inlaws and hubby's aunt/uncle. We eat very healthy, rarely do we do boxed meals unless im not feeling well. Use the crockpot religeously and cook a lot from scratch.

its very do-able!

couponing in the internet age is almost done for you, all you do is copy/paste and then cut only the coupons you're using that week...seriously, its all done for you already. Yet people still say its too much work O.o :noway:
  • luvmypoochie
    Options
    We budget $200 per week for groceries. We have 4 children and 2 of which are teenagers, and it seems like they eat every 30min. I shop at Costco and buy most things in bulk. All other items I purchase at Freshco, they price match, so I bring along all the competitors flyers, which usually saves me up to $25 per week. I do not buy any frozen or boxed meals, most meals are from scratch and I use a crock pot regularly. I sit down every Saturday morning and plan my meals for the week and make my grocery list. I never shop without my list. And do my best to not attend a grocery store any other time - stopping for one thing always seems to end up being a full bag. I also refrain from asking my hubby to pick up anything, otherwise he comes home with another 5-6 bags of groceries stating they were "on sale".
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok apparently I need to take lessons from some of you, because I have a family of 4 (kids are 10 and 3) and I spend $900 per month for groceries, paper products, and cleaning/laundry supplies :angry:
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I buy groceries for just myself and spend about 30 dollars per week. It is more like 35 dollars when I have to buy more meat which is about every third week.
  • JessyJanePapworth
    JessyJanePapworth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We cant buy for the week it is just too much of a hassle. We spend about $600 a month and that is the store brand everything so we actually get a lot for what we spend. That feeds 9 people, 6 of which are kids and we all know kids munch all day lol. I went to costco two weeks ago and spent $500 (which is why I try to avoid getting anything extra from there staples only) We are already running low so some months it is around $800-900. Depending on the season too.
  • Nermal1983
    Nermal1983 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I budget $40 per week for groceries, but usually go over by $5 or $10. And I will spend more if there is meat on sale.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    We usually spend about $125 a week or less for a family of 4. My husband is the pricing manager at a local grocery store. When we were first married I used to worry about not going over our limited grocery budget. I would hesitate to by red peppers unless they were on sale, etc. My husband told me not to worry. It is not the fruits and veggies that will break our food budget regardless of the price. It's the unhealthy food that reeks havok on your budget. Filling the cart with yummy produce makes it harder for me to put in the chips, prepared foods, and ice cream. I'm thankfully I married a very smart man who indulges me with honey crisp apples even though the red delicous ones are cheaper. His only caviot was that we need to actually eat the produce and not throw it out at the end of the week. Happy eating :D