Do you take your physical ability for granted?

Options
124»

Replies

• JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't take it for granted, not one single day. I work in a Neuropsych clinic...I've seen how 'one moment' can change EVERYTHING.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Nope not at all! I have Lupus so I have MANY days where simply supporting my own body weight on my joints is a chore. That's why I try to go so hard when I'm in remission! I look longingly at people doing workouts like Insanity because the spirit is willing but the body...ehhh the body isn't having it. But I will bust a modified version in a NY minute!

I could have written this post. (Insert Rheumatoid Arthritis for Lupus)
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have RA and am currently managing quite well, thanks to a great dr., good diet and exercise. But for 2 years I could barely get up stairs or even hold a coffee cup. My DH has had 3 spinal fusions and is disabled due to the chronic pain and problems with his legs. It is a challenge every day for him. We both work constantly to keep him mobile and continue a fairly normal life. We do appreciate what we have and thank God we can both still walk.
  • trinitymel1982
    Options
    bump
  • nellyb2011
    nellyb2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    All of your stories are so inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do not take what I have left for granted. I have limited mobility in both my right arm and my left leg (about 50% use in both). I can't just have a simple fracture like a normal person. I have to royally screw up joints (quite literally - I have 2 metal plates and 8 screws holding my left tibia together). I couldn't even begin to count the amount of my lifetime I've spent on crutches or with my wrists in splints or arms in slings. But I spent 4 months in a wheelchair and almost 2 years having to use some device (walker, wheelchair, crutch, cane) to assist me in moving from one place to the next after basically pulverizing my left tibial plateau.

I have very hyper-extensive joints, which makes for a lot of injuries. Plantar fasciitis in my left foot currently is no fun. Tendinitis and possible rotator cuff issues (I'm too stubborn to get it checked) in both shoulders isn't either (I still unload 50 pound bags of animal feed by myself).

I still have to take stairs like a toddler, holding on to hand rails and re-gaining my balance on each step before taking the next one, but I'm still working on it. I tried jogging, but my leg won't bend far enough that I can without almost tripping. I can't do squats or lunges or anything that isn't really low impact. But I can walk over 4 miles now!

There's so much inspiration on this thread :o)
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I was taught at a very young age to be happy I had what I had.

No matter how bad things get, there is usually some one worse off...

So, no, I do not take my physical ability for granted..

I can walk and pick things up, see and hear.... That in itself is an astonishment.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    After watching my bedridden mother cry because all she

wanted to do was get out of that bed to clean house, no I do not

take it for granted. When a person you love wants so badly to do

the simplest things, you learn what is important.

Thanks for posting to remind me how lucky I am!